Glucose burning, fat storing animals.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
    Oh god Dilberryhoundog and Gorbag, I just had a light bulb moment!!!

What you two are saying is that we burn BOTH glucose and fat AT THE EXACT SAME TIME?? For some reason I had always understood it to be a one or the other. But at any given moment, if we zero in on our cells, some will be using glucose, while the cell next door might be busy burning fat yes?

If I understand this correctly, what you're both saying is we ARE NOT preferentially glucose burners as the Petards say, and we're also not preferentially fat burners as the Ketards say. What we all are is a ratio of the two. And that ratio would be different between individuals and different within an individual depending on a host of reasons.

I like this. I really like this.
    Lol. True and false.

Both reactions happen in the body but different activation energies and rates of reactions. Just because both can happen at the same time doesn't overall the body uses one process more bc the reaction happen easier and faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
      Oh god Dilberryhoundog and Gorbag, I just had a light bulb moment!!!

What you two are saying is that we burn BOTH glucose and fat AT THE EXACT SAME TIME?? For some reason I had always understood it to be a one or the other. But at any given moment, if we zero in on our cells, some will be using glucose, while the cell next door might be busy burning fat yes?

If I understand this correctly, what you're both saying is we ARE NOT preferentially glucose burners as the Petards say, and we're also not preferentially fat burners as the Ketards say. What we all are is a ratio of the two. And that ratio would be different between individuals and different within an individual depending on a host of reasons.

I like this. I really like this.
      Regulation of TCA cycle occurs at the level of entry of substrates into the cycle and also by reactions of the cycle. TCA cycle fueled mostly by acetyl-CoA, which means, generation of acetyl-CoA from carbs controls the major point of the cycle which is catalyzed by the PDH complex. Cellular ratio of NAD+/NADH has the biggest impact on the flux of carbon through the TCA cycle, and also the substrate availability. You'd need to look up how reactions are influenced in order to see how each fuel is utilized. So, it's not as simple as the stoichiometry shows, and you don't utilize both at the same time, at least not in the way I believe you're alluding to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randle_cycle
      Last edited by Derpamix; 10-26-2013, 03:54 PM.
      Make America Great Again

Comment

I've found this to be a useful resource:

The Medical Biochemistry Page

When it comes to biochem a picture really is worth a thousand words.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          I've found this to be a useful resource:

The Medical Biochemistry Page
          Yup

I studied that entire site intently a few months ago.
          Make America Great Again

Comment

One thing about that site that sticks out is the wrongful vilifying of saturated fats, though. So, ignore that portion as it's not medically correct.
            Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
              What about them? If they indeed store fat but eat carbs and preferentially burn carbs ...isn't that like human beings?

I am confused by op's question because almost all animals preferentially burn carbs rather than fat. Fat is used when carbs are gone.

???
              Perhaps the OP had a subtext of "we store energy as fat, so fat is what we are meant to consume". That's certainly something I thought for a while as well.

In reality, carbs are how plants store their energy and fat is how animals store their energy. I think we're omnivores so we can and should be taking in both fat and carbs.

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
              Due to being prone to fat storage, that suggests to me that too much dietary fat can be detrimental as the body is obviously more than willing to stash it away if you give it more than it can use. Conversely, de novo lipogenesis is very inefficient. The body goes to great lengths to utilize carbs immediately or put in temporary "holding cells" before converting them to fat.
              I thought that it's a real priority for the body to process excess glucose first because too much sugar in the blood is toxic? right?

When you get down to it your body uses both fat and glucose in the ATP cycle. Although only glucose can be used in the primordial energy process of fermentation in the event of damaged mitochondria.
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Working...
              X