No announcement yet.

Potato Diet, Fall 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/25: appx. 185 (started the Paleo Diet)
    9/27: 176.4 (purchased a scale and started a lower fat/carb primal diet)
    10/6: 170.4
    10/14: 171 (cheated a lot in October, didn't treadmill regularly, went on vacation)
    10/21: 171.2
    11/7: 169.8

11/12: 171.2 (potato hack diet start)
    11/13: 170.2
    11/14: 169.6
    11/15: 170
    11/16: 168.8 -- Lowest weight in 9 years!
    11/17: 168.8
    11/18: 167.4 (fasted 42 hours)
    11/19: 165 (lower fat/carb primal rotation)
    11/20: 164.4
    11/21: 163.6
    11/22: 163.4
    11/23: 163.4
    11/24: 162.8 (potato hack diet rotation)
    11/25: 162.8
    11/26: 162.6 (fasted 46 hours)
    11/27: 161.4
    11/28: 161

Happy Thanksgiving and Hanukkah Everybody!!
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
    GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
    CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
    49 - 5'7.5"
    Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• I still haven't felt the right timing for doing more than one day of entirely potatoes. I feel tired and lethargig and constantly hungry, but unable to eat more potatoes. I haven't weighed them, but I think I was around 3lbs of potatoes. (about half of a 3kg bag) After my third and final meal of the day, I did feel content finally. I ate a huge potato lunch at noon, and was hungry again shortly after. I waited until 2pm, just before leaving to work to eat as many as I could again. I felt hungry again shortly after, and right up to dinner. After dinner I was fine, as mentioned. Do I just need to get more used to it?
      Should I do several days, when my schedule allows, or just one at a time?
      Last edited by Ghshl; 11-28-2013, 02:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigalxyz View Post
        One other question: I might be on holiday in Thailand for about 3 weeks in January. Given that potatoes don't really feature in Thai cuisine, does anyone have any recommendations for how I might best eat if I go over there? (diet mostly rice-based, but I don't think rice quite has the satiety properties of potatoes - correct?)
        If I were you, worrying about potatoes in Thailand is the last thing you should do. Enjoy the local food, stay away from the deep fried and sweet stuff, and you should be OK. Their traditional cuisine is very healthy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
          I didn't work out much. I just wanted to save money, maybe drop a little fat, break the 17% BF mark. But without lots of meat, I am lost.
          Knifegill, maybe you should try 2 days on, 2 days off like I am doing now. It's saving me a lot of money and seems to be sustainable because on the "days off" you get to eat lots of protein and a reasonable amount of fat and can lift weights, while on the "days on", well, it's just around 1,200 cals of boiled potatoes and a bit of walking. I can't say I have lost actual weight on the scale (hovering around 185-187lbs) but I can tell I am getting leaner, clothes feeling looser and looking better in the mirror. It's very much n=1 but as a money saving and fat loss tool, I think this can work for other people too. Worth a try anyway.
          Also, a general observation: I find it helps me to postpone my break-fast of potatoes as much as possible. Usually I'd IF until noon, now I try to stretch it to 3pm. On the second day I like to have some green tea with a spoon of honey before bed as well, otherwise my sleep is not very good.

Comment

• Cool, thanks.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• So I did 3 days, and just enjoyed a bowl of stewed chicken gizzards.

Day 1: 960 calories of boiled potatoes consumed.
              Day 2: Weight down 2 pounds, 960 calories of boiled potatoes consumed.
              Day 3: Weight down .4 pounds, 600 calories of boiled potatoes consumed.
              Final weigh-in: up .2 pounds, gut feeling uncomfortable and a little bloated.

Net loss in pounds: 2.2 pounds. I expect to lose some weight tomorrow as my gut inflammation goes away. (Continued weight loss seems to be common after leaving the PH, hmm...)

Anticipated weight loss based on the calorie deficit would have been about .6 pounds.

This is something I probably shouldn't do more than 3 days. If I do choose to do it again, I will probably not be eating cold boiled potatoes by themselves. Maybe hot mashed potatoes with broth and garlic. That would be easier to enjoy.

Comment

• Well, I've been going about 10 days. Not 100% potato but probably 90% or so. I've lost weight, I'm sleeping well and I feel really good! The only problem is a little bit of constipation, which I normally never get. Time for some leafy green vegetables I think :-)

Comment

• I've just done 2 days of hot mashed potatoes with other vegetables smashed in. I had to have those vegetables. I feel like I could eat this way forever.

If I have lost weight tomorrow and I am not bloated, I may do another day. Otherwise I will eat protein.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigalxyz View Post
                    Well, I've been going about 10 days. Not 100% potato but probably 90% or so. I've lost weight, I'm sleeping well and I feel really good! The only problem is a little bit of constipation, which I normally never get. Time for some leafy green vegetables I think :-)
                    Time for a break! don't kill yourself.

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                    I've just done 2 days of hot mashed potatoes with other vegetables smashed in. I had to have those vegetables. I feel like I could eat this way forever.

If I have lost weight tomorrow and I am not bloated, I may do another day. Otherwise I will eat protein.
                    Glad you found it easy. thanks for the report. I like doing 2-3 days every couple weeks, it has kind of just become a 'thing' for me. By end of 3rd day I'm ready for real food, but I'm not looking to lose weight, just keeping it in check over winter.
                    Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• 8/25: appx. 185 (started the Paleo Diet)
                      9/27: 176.4 (purchased a scale and started a lower fat/carb primal diet)
                      10/6: 170.4
                      10/14: 171 (cheated a lot in October, didn't treadmill regularly, went on vacation)
                      10/21: 171.2
                      11/7: 169.8

11/12: 171.2 (potato hack diet start)
                      11/13: 170.2
                      11/14: 169.6
                      11/15: 170
                      11/16: 168.8 -- Lowest weight in 9 years!
                      11/17: 168.8
                      11/18: 167.4 (fasted 42 hours)
                      11/19: 165 (lower fat/carb primal rotation)
                      11/20: 164.4
                      11/21: 163.6
                      11/22: 163.4
                      11/23: 163.4
                      11/24: 162.8 (potato hack diet rotation)
                      11/25: 162.8
                      11/26: 162.6 (fasted 46 hours)
                      11/27: 161.4
                      11/28: 161 (Thanksgiving food)
                      11/29: 163.4 (lower fat/carb primal)
                      11/30: 164.4 (phd)
                      12/1: 162.6 (cheat day)
                      12/2: 161.6 (lf/cpd)
                      12/3: 160.2 (lf/cpd)
                      12/4: 161.2 (phd)
                      12/5: 160.8

Here is my weekly update. I haven't been able to treadmill every day this week - last time was Monday morning.
                      Last edited by MsSmith; 12-05-2013, 07:02 AM. Reason: to correct current weight
                      Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
                      Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
                      Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
                      Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
                      1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
                      GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                      CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
                      49 - 5'7.5"
                      Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• Well, I'm hopping on the bandwagon and trying the Potato Hack starting tomorrow. I just boiled five pounds of organic Yukon Gold's. Hoping to make them last for two days.

My plan is to have a meal of some cold potatoes at work around 1pm, then for dinner have some more heated up in a dry pan, most likely with a little something added to it (vinegar, pepper, garlic powder maybe). I'm going to drink my AM coffee per usual (I drink it straight black anyway) and drink plain green or black tea, water and seltzer throughout the day.

I'm going to try to do Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed and then weigh myself Thursday morning and reeval the situation from there.

My backstory is I've lost a shit-ton of weight over the past two years combining calorie restriction with a basic Primal diet. I normally eat 1500 cals or so of meat, eggs, veggies, fruit, sweet potatoes and winter squash, yogurt and/or cottage cheese, some coconut oil or butter for cooking (I use it by the teaspoon for cooking). I IF when I feel like it...usually skip breakfast on my non-work days, and always have one day a week I eat higher (carbs and cals) and then one day I fast for 24 hours. Don't ask me my rational for any of this, it's just what I have gotten into the habit of doing as time as gone on.

I started out in February 2012 at 518 lbs bordering on becoming immobilized and now I'm 182 as of Friday and looking to get to my goal weight of 160. I'm still losing pretty consistently but at a snail's pace, I think my body needs a little something to jolt it back into losing mode and I'm hoping this will help. I tolerate fasting pretty well so I'm hoping the PH goes okay for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
                          Glad you found it easy. thanks for the report. I like doing 2-3 days every couple weeks, it has kind of just become a 'thing' for me. By end of 3rd day I'm ready for real food, but I'm not looking to lose weight, just keeping it in check over winter.
                          It was easy, it was enjoyable, it was sustainable. But this time I put on weight each day. The third day I decided to do non-potato starchy carbs. Weight gain continued. At some point I guess I will attempt to figure out what is going on and set up an experiment to test some of the possibilities.

The following day I ate 1800 calories, including 225g of protein. I got sick (something to do with raw fish I ate, no doubt), vomiting and diarrhea overnight. Yet I put on even more weight. Oh, well.

Comment

• If someone has a problem with nightshades what other possible single diet food source could they eat that would provide the same nutrient profile as the potato?

always looking to experiment with food. but I can not do nighthades.

Comment

• Originally posted by MuuMuu View Post
                              I started out in February 2012 at 518 lbs bordering on becoming immobilized and now I'm 182 as of Friday...
                              HOLY HARA, MuuMuu!!!! Congrats!! That's one hell of a success.
                              Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

• If someone has a problem with nightshades what other possible single diet food source could they eat that would provide the same nutrient profile as the potato?

always looking to experiment with food. but I can not do nighthades.
                                Do white potatoes have anything that sweet potatoes don't, besides the nightshade alkaloids?
                                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                                X