No announcement yet.

Potato Diet, Fall 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This has been fun, folks, but I am moving on for now. May do a potato day here and there in the future. I gained back a couple of pounds right away when I started to add in other food / eat "normally". Didn't even feel like I was eating all that much more, going crazy or anything, but there it is on the scale. I think this was a great experiment and I see more potatoes in my family's future. We have been avoiding them this past year and now I am really not sure why.
    "Do other things to take care of your emotional and physical needs, and youíll take pressure off your diet to fix things itís not meant to fix." -- Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
      MsSmith and Blacksmith are you guys still on the potato diet?
      Hi. I did 5 days lower fat/carb primal and I'm switching back to the PH today. Next time, (after Thanksgiving) I am going to try doing 4 days of each instead of 5 (and maybe I can get a fasting day in at some point). 6 days was tough. 5 days was less tough but still not very much fun when it came to the afternoon meal (I have 2 meals per day). I baked a bunch of potatoes yesterday morning. Can hardly wait for some taters and ketchup! But really, I am not sure if I will have P&K today or if I will have the creamy potato soup (with fat-free broth and chives).

I have not cheated at all since I first started the potato hack and I've treadmilled for 2 miles every morning except Sundays. This week will be mother nature week (sorry if that is TMI but I'm trying to have good data here) so I am not sure how or if that will affect my daily weight. My IF time ranges from 17 to 21 hours.

8/25: appx. 185 - (started the Paleo Diet)
      9/27: 176.4 - (purchased a scale and started a lower fat/carb primal diet)
      10/6: 170.4
      10/14: 171 - (cheated a lot in October, didn't treadmill regularly, went on vacation)
      10/21: 171.2
      11/7: 169.8

11/12: 171.2 - (potato hack diet start)
      11/13: 170.2
      11/14: 169.6
      11/15: 170
      11/16: 168.8 ---- Lowest weight in 9 years!
      11/17: 168.8
      11/18: 167.4 - (fasted 42 hours - was running errands all day)
      11/19: 165 - (lower fat/carb primal rotation)
      11/20: 164.4
      11/21: 163.6
      11/22: 163.4
      11/23: 163.4
      11/24: 162.8 - (potato hack rotation)

If anyone wants more details, please see my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread95662.html

I will post again in this thread Thursday morning.
      Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
      Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
      Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
      Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
      1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
      GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
      CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
      49 - 5'7.5"
      Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• Looks like the potato hack did actually give you additional weight loss after going back to regular eating. Awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        ------
        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
          I'm finally ready to try this, got my gut all geared up and digesting potatoes well! I'll keep you updated if my weight changes. I'm 185 as of this day.
          Interested in how it goes for you. I'm a similar build and weight than yourself. I'm still doing my 2 days on 2 days off experiment. Too early to tell, but weight seems hard to lower (hard to go lower than 185 for a guy of over 6ft), though I'm getting slightly leaner I think. After having lost most excess weight on Primal over the course of over a year, I guess it's a different ball game now where patience is key.

Comment

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
            Looks like the potato hack did actually give you additional weight loss after going back to regular eating. Awesome!!
            Thanks!
            Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
            Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
            Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
            Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
            1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
            GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
            CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
            49 - 5'7.5"
            Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• Lol, nvm for me just yet. Came home hungry, eating grass-fed cheese before bed! I also have eggs to finish off, so maybe a few more days. I'm just stoked that I can digest starchy food! Can't wait to actually do a few days of all-potato.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• I'm going to try 3 days of this. I just pressure-cooked 2.5 pounds of red potatoes. Not hungry yet, I may wait until noon to eat some of them.

Comment

• Hello everyone. New here, over on the other side of the pond (England), but I've been reading this thread tonight (not finished yet - it's a big one!). I've eaten very low carb mostly for the last few years, but after an initial weight loss spurt, I stalled. And my health hasn't been particularly good either. Depressed, tired (to the point of having long periods of time when I was unable to work), apathetic, irritable, unable to concentrate.

I read some months ago about Chris Voigt's 60 day potato diet, which intrigued me. Having been a devotee of Taubes, etc. I was very suspicious of a diet based mostly on starch. Moreover, I was diagnosed as T2 diabetic a couple of years ago, which made me fear the starch even more. Having said that, while eating low carb my blood sugar numbers have been pretty good (HbA1c is around 5.8% now), so maybe that's not an immediate concern (?).

I finally bought a couple of bags of new potatoes last weekend & gave it a go. I've been very pleasantly surprised. I haven't weighed myself (I don't own bathroom scales) but I can feel a bit of weight loss already after just 3 days. I steamed the potatoes (with skins left on), let them go cold & then put them in the fridge. 90% of what I've eaten this week has been those potatoes. And a bit of quick mental arithmetic tells me that my calorie intake has dropped sharply - but I don't feel hungry at all. Even one or two potatoes fills me up very quickly - it's very hard to overeat. And I feel really well! I plan to continue eating like this for the time being.

Cheap too!

I don't know how sustainable such a diet is in the long run though (it would presumably need a bit of fat & protein to be added to be a "complete" diet), but for the moment it seems to be working well. It's encouraging to read so many stories on here of people who have also done well with it.

Currently weigh around 280 pounds. That's a lot, but it's less bad than it sounds because I'm tall and stockily built. Still, I would like to lose 50 or 60 pounds I think. No small task.

One question lurking in my mind: given the T2 diabetes diagnosis, is there any reason for me to be extra-cautious about eating so much starch?

Thanks,
                  Alan.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigalxyz View Post

One question lurking in my mind: given the T2 diabetes diagnosis, is there any reason for me to be extra-cautious about eating so much starch?

Thanks,
                    Alan.
                    Not with an A1C of 5.8! If anything, you should try adding a potato or two to your normal menu every day. If you still have concerns, or are just curious, buy a BG tester and see what happens after a day of potatoes. My guess is your BG will spike to roughly 160-200 after a big meal, but next morning FBG will be lower than you've seen in years.

Good luck!
                    Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• I am on Day 3, and this is going to have to be the last day for me. I have that restless feeling I get before a diet is about to crash.

I have been eating 2-1/2 pounds of plain boiled potatoes (with salt and a touch of vinegar) a day. I am incredibly hungry and starting to crave protein like mad. But I can't eat more boiled potatoes. Gack!

Maybe it would be easier if I gave up on cooling them and eating them cold, and just ate them hot right after cooking. I could mash them with broth or blend them into a soup. Maybe with garlic. I can see repeating this regularly, but I can't possibly do more than 3 days of this in a row without...something. Butter and/or cream, maybe. But that is for another time.

I have lost 2.4 pounds, I will check in with my final results tomorrow.

So I guess I'll be up early to eat a chopped beef steak and eggs. Or pork and eggs. Or chicken thighs and gizzards. Or sliced roast beef. Or smoked salmon. Or mussels...

For lunch tomorrow we will be going out to a Chinese restaurant, where I intend to eat a sashimi platter as an appetizer, and steamed shrimp and broccoli for my entree. After that I will have one or more high fat days before deciding what to do next.

Comment

• @tatertot - thank you. I shall press ahead.

One other question: I might be on holiday in Thailand for about 3 weeks in January. Given that potatoes don't really feature in Thai cuisine, does anyone have any recommendations for how I might best eat if I go over there? (diet mostly rice-based, but I don't think rice quite has the satiety properties of potatoes - correct?)

Comment

• I couldn't make it longer than two days. Felt weak, about to gnaw my fingers off. I can see doing one or two potato days a week maybe. So I had a pound of ground beef and six eggs with a cup of blueberries for lunch and feel 100x better now. And not ready for another potato day, but still eating them with every meal.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                            I couldn't make it longer than two days. Felt weak, about to gnaw my fingers off. I can see doing one or two potato days a week maybe. So I had a pound of ground beef and six eggs with a cup of blueberries for lunch and feel 100x better now. And not ready for another potato day, but still eating them with every meal.
                            Knifey..remind me why you are doing PH? I know you love experimenting, but what is the goal? I think I remember that when you do PH, you need to cut the lifting way down. I can't imagine you wanting to stop or cut back your workouts.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I didn't work out much. I just wanted to save money, maybe drop a little fat, break the 17% BF mark. But without lots of meat, I am lost.
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Thanks to this thread, I've added potatoes to my diet. I steam 1.5-2lbs a day, and usually have 1 meal of salted potatoes w/ greek yogurt, and other meal is cycling liver/mussels/dates/fruit/rice/leftover potatoes.. I also drink milk and OJ, take gelatin, every day.

It's been really good. I've lost 3 lbs and my pants fit better. Good energy throughout the day, I don't need to nap or anything. At first I thought I may be eating too little (from the weight loss), but my period came today, so definitely not underweight. My exercise is gentle swimming for 20 mins 5 days a week and some body weight exercises a few times a week. I've been really stressed lately so I crave potatoes (carbs) and have no appetite for heavy protein meals. It's been a few weeks of steamed potatoes w/ salt and simple meals and I'm not tired of it yet.

Does anyone regularly eat this much potatoes all the time?

Comment

Working...
                                X