No announcement yet.

Potato Diet, Fall 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I haven't mentioned it. Mainly for budget lol and I could use a restart when it comes to eating.

I ended up eating 7 potatoes, 1 cup broth, a carrot, a few spears of celery and an apple, and I think that I will be eating omelettes with the babies for dinner. I really don't feel good at all.

The 4 potatoes with 1 c broth was super yummy. I would definitely do that off and on for a easy and cheap lunch. Thanks for the idea, MsSmith!

Sent from my LG-E617G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Last edited by justme; 11-20-2013, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• I am also nursing. My daughter is nearly three, so I thought I'd give this hack a go, just for a couple of days. I managed breakfast and lunch of potatoes, but by 5.30 on the first day I was craving protein so badly that the thought of eating another potato made me want to throw up! I have decided that the potato hack is incompatible with breastfeeding, at least as far as I am concerned.

Comment

• I ate an omelette with 2 eggs and 1/2 can of wild salmon and I feel a million times better. Lesson learned!

Comment

• Yay! Glad you feel better.

Comment

• Potato Diet, Fall 2013

I wouldn't do complete potato days for breast feeding. Eating highly nutritious foods (good balance of carbs, saturated fats, protein) is crucial to giving the nutritient your baby needs to grow. Grassfed red meat (or lean non grassfed if you can't afford), fruits, dairy, eggs and some "fruit-like" veggies (cucumber, tomatoes, etc) is really what you need right now.

You aren't just giving the baby calories. You are also giving the baby important stuff like antibodies to confer some of your immune system's protection on them, and etc. (For more information, see Transcytosis Pathway for IgG in small intestines) You need fat/protein for that sort of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by turquoisepassion; 11-20-2013, 08:43 PM.
            ------
            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Actually, justme, I have been wondering... I can IF a couple of times a week when I feel like it with no problems, usually from after dinner through to early/mid-afternoon next day, so I have been thinking of experimenting with IF-ing with potatoes instead of fasting. I think it could work in conjunction with nursing an older child. I do think it's especially important to listen to our bodies when breastfeeding, though, so if whatever I'm doing doesn't feel right, I stop.

Edited to add "an older child" as I don't think experimenting with IF is a good idea at all when they are still babies, especially in light of TP's wise comment above.
              Last edited by Skylark; 11-20-2013, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• turqouisepassion - Thanks for sharing that. I feel like my body has been telling me that this whole time ( lots of highly nutritous food ), and I'm working on getting better at listening.

Skylark - IF makes me feel awful. I think a lot of stress + nursing a toddler who is still very dependant on her nursies.= not a good idea for IF right now.

Comment

• I think you are right, justme. IF wouldn't have been right for me either when my lo was 16 months. She was still feeding through the night at that age!

The potato hack felt surprisingly like fasting to me in my brief trial of it.

Comment

• Your comment about feeding through the night made me laugh, because otherwise I'll cry. She was up 10 ? times last night. To be fair though, she is sick, and her diaper leaked, so I had to change her, and she doesn't like to be covered up, so then that kept bothering her ...

Comment

• Aww, it's SO hard. I do feel for you. I night-weaned both of mine as gently as I could at around 18-20 months because I really couldn't cope with the multiple night-wakings any more. It's definitely a time to really look after yourself with the most nutritious food you can find the energy to make! Potatoes alone wouldn't cut the mustard.
                      I hope you have a better night's sleep tonight.

Comment

• Thanks!

I think that moving her into her own bed will help. I'm not ready yet, though!

Comment

• A quick update- I finished 8 days of lots but not all potatoes. I just can't seem to make it more than 2 days at a time. In fact, I can go one day, and through lunch the next. Come evening, I fall apart. In total, I did this 4 times. Twice in the 8 days I had significant binges- something I've gotten much much better at in the last year by avoiding through a more varied, "balanced" diet.

This has sort of confirmed with me that my body need a mix of protein, fats, and moderate carbs (a couple of pieces of fruit/day, lots of veg, maybe a little starch a few times a week) in order to feel balanced and not binge. Never ever did I realize it was the restriction of macro that was at least in part, leading to binges.

That said, I am down 3.5lbs to 133.5. I was back in the gym yesterday, for the first time in 2 months. Apparently I wiped sweat of my forehead with the bottom of my shirt, and exposed some tummy muscles. A gentleman in probably his mid 50's approached me and with no sketchiness at all, asked what I was doing to get my stomach looking so lean and defined. I was totally flattered. It was a nice moment of self indulgence.

I think I may incorporate a day of potatoes once a week. One day seems doable and doesn't seem to create the urge to binge. If that means dropping .5-1lb a week, I'm great with that. In just a couple of months, I should achieve my goal.

Comment

• MsSmith and Blacksmith are you guys still on the potato diet?

I am exercising today and doing a photoshoot tomorrow so no potato hack until Monday.

------
                            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                              MsSmith and Blacksmith are you guys still on the potato diet?

I am exercising today and doing a photoshoot tomorrow so no potato hack until Monday.

I may have fallen off the wagon. Gaines back everything I lost plus 1 pound. Try to get back in the swing today.
                              I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Comment

• I'm finally ready to try this, got my gut all geared up and digesting potatoes well! I'll keep you updated if my weight changes. I'm 185 as of this day.
                                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                                X