Potato Diet, Fall 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by epicurie View Post
    I know what you mean, there's no diet I'd ever try no matter how interesting if I had to give up my coffee, with a dash of cocoa and plenty of cream. It makes absolutely no difference here, I have two of those a day. Maintaining state of bliss throughout the potato hack
    Two servings of cream noted here.

Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Just wanted to add that when I did this during the Super Secret Potato Project
    (thread in Odds and Ends), I did half regular potatoes and half sweet potatoes or yams.

It didn't make a lick of difference and I still lost a whack.

Just sayin', for the ones that asked.

Sweet potatoes are absolutely "more tasty" (to me), but I still can't power them down
    like candy or anything.

Full on a potato, is full on a potato already. End of story.

Good luck folks!

Julia

p.s. i kept my coffee, milk, heavy cream and stevia as well... just one cup a day though.
    For those asking about sweet vs. regular potatoes.

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Weightloss stalls with cottage cheese or other protein eaten less than 5hrs apart from potatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So perhaps it's the 3 grams of protein in the chicken broth I am mixing with my potatoes for "potato soup"...?
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
    GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
    CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
    49 - 5'7.5"
    Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• Originally posted by Nivanthe View Post
      As always, I think it depends. I can still have more than a tiny amount.

I use more than 1tbsp (probably closer to 2.5) of fat total in a day for 2lbs and I'm still seeing progress. I measure out probably 2lbs/1300g of potatoes a day; split up into.... 4-5 meals? And I put about a tsp of coconut oil on each serving. Then some mustard/mayo/etc dropped on for flavor. Eyeballed, not measured.

Yesterday was an outlier because I had crazy cardio activity, and had 2 bananas with some honey/pb as well. Holding some water, so today's weigh-in doesn't count. Also maybe 2tbsp of half-and-half milk in my coffee as the 1% that was bought for the office isn't frothing ... I have to do that today as well but I watered it down a bit.
      Thank you.
      GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
      49 - 5'7.5"
      Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
        This makes me super happy! I am glad you tried PH.

Thanks. It's been a huge motivator. I'd been stuck at a plateau for months. Looks like the thing I needed to get over the hump.
        I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Comment

• MsSmith, I get what you are saying and I just think it is very individual. Yesterday I had some coconut oil on my oven fries (made a big batch for the family using 1tsp per big potato). I also had 1 Tbsp heavy whipping cream in my teeccino/decaf, which I don't normally do but I just plain wanted to. Then I boiled my potatoes in chicken broth in the evening, which I have never done either. No loss this morning. I had a quite inactive day yesterday, though. I have no doubt that if I had eaten the exact same things but had been out and about, running errands at least, this morning would have seen a loss.
          "Do other things to take care of your emotional and physical needs, and youíll take pressure off your diet to fix things itís not meant to fix." -- Mark

Comment

• Well, after five full days, the net loss is 2.0lbs.

I had hopes it might be three, but the scale climbed up 1lb on day 5, and remained there today, day 6.

Exericise was minimal--deload week at the gym, which meant weightlifting was in the 30-60% of training max.

I was hoping to lose a bit more, and may stay on the diet, but the motivation is waning. I was probably eating about 2-3lbs of potatoes/day--yesterday, about 2lbs.

On the hand, I'm feeling very stuck in terms of body comp and setpoint. On the other hand, I think the potato diet really takes the scare out of carbs, for those weaned on Taubes, Hyperlipid, et al.

I do believe low carb (hovering around ketosis) is healthier, and do it mostly for dental health. That said, I *cannot* lose weight on it, despite trying various permutations, and my lifts at the gym stalled.

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
              No fat at all is the purest and the original potato diet. As they said in 1849, 'no salt, no butter, no condiment of any kind'

However, in 2013, some have found it's OK to use a bit of salt, butter (fat), or condiments. When I say 'a bit', I mean, 'a bit'. Not a stick of butter--a sliver of butter!
              A sliver.

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
              I saw chocotaco mention the fact that it is an insulingenic meal + low/zero fat means the body has to pull body fat to make insulin! Not sure if that is true but sounds plausible as insulin synthesis required fat.

I read the entire thread. More often than not, people were posting that they had skim milk or low fat milk in their coffees, or no "creamer" at all.

So I am going to d/c fat of any kind except for the 1 Tbs. whipping cream in my one morning coffee and continue with the same amount of broth I've been using and see what happens. There is a big difference in 25 grams of protein in 1 Tbs. cottage cheese and 3 grams of protein in 2 cups of chicken broth.

"4. No more than 10g of added protein per meal. If you need protein in your diet, it is suggested to just have a separate meal of protein & then a potato meal. 5 hr separation."
              GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
              49 - 5'7.5"
              Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• Originally posted by TheNewMe View Post
                MsSmith, I get what you are saying and I just think it is very individual. Yesterday I had some coconut oil on my oven fries (made a big batch for the family using 1tsp per big potato). I also had 1 Tbsp heavy whipping cream in my teeccino/decaf, which I don't normally do but I just plain wanted to. Then I boiled my potatoes in chicken broth in the evening, which I have never done either. No loss this morning. I had a quite inactive day yesterday, though. I have no doubt that if I had eaten the exact same things but had been out and about, running errands at least, this morning would have seen a loss.
                Thank you.
                GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                49 - 5'7.5"
                Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• I'm hanging in for nightshade experiment.

11/12. 149 Partial potato day
                  11/13. 149.8 2/3 Yukon gold 1/3 sweet potatoe
                  11/14. 150.4 same ratio as yesterday
                  11/15. 150.2 same ratio

1T heavy cream in morning decaf.

I have RA that's been in remission over a decade. Nightshades make me swell and bloat. I plan to do 5 days unless my hands swell more and hurt.

Comment

• MsSmith, You might be overthinking it (not meant to sound harsh) ... just eat some potatoes, and don't put too much fatty stuff on them. Less yields more.

I see a bit of a pattern with the heavier-fat dairy, with you and Calee, and TheNewMe. Not much loss, and you all added 1T heavy/whipping cream into your coffees, which packs a big whollop of fat. Try a less heavy milk maybe.

My scale went up slightly as well yesterday after adding half and half instead of lowfat milk. I had other deviations yesterday so I dont know if I should be pinpointing it on the dairy fat punch though.

Comment

• Yeah. I used whole grassfed milk and light coconut milk.

------
                      HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• I forgot about how my body simply doesn't get satisfied with only potatoes. Started eating at noon yesterday, and almost went through all 5 pounds I bought by 8 PM. That's still a pretty good caloric deficit for me, but we'll see what happens next potato day. I think once my body figures it out potato days will be easy.

Just boiled and peeled them all, no condiments. Water and green tea only. Normal food today, workout this afternoon.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

• I will go without cream tomorrow. Already had it today.

Comment

I see a bit of a pattern with the heavier-fat dairy, with you and Calee, and TheNewMe. Not much loss, and you all added 1T heavy/whipping cream into your coffees, which packs a big whollop of fat. Try a less heavy milk maybe.
                            I've been using heavy cream too. It didn't seem to affect losses at first but maybe it's the reason why I'm stalled now.

Comment

MsSmith, You might be overthinking it (not meant to sound harsh) ... just eat some potatoes, and don't put too much fatty stuff on them. Less yields more.

My scale went up slightly as well yesterday after adding half and half instead of lowfat milk. I had other deviations yesterday so I dont know if I should be pinpointing it on the dairy fat punch though.
                              Thanks. I'm not overthinking it, just trying to get optimal results for my efforts and money. I am a "do whatever works" person and I am trying to narrow that down. Maybe it might even help someone else...?

I have not been able to acquire a taste for milk in my coffee, no matter the fat content. Imagine my surprise when I walked into a Starbucks for the first time, free coupon in hand.

It took about 3 days to get used to WC instead of powdered coffee mate. I also tried coconut cream and could not acquire a taste for that either.

I just had my "potato soup" with 1 lb. potatoes, 1 Tbs. fresh chives and 1.5 grams of protein from the 1 cup of chicken broth. Delicious. 19 hour IF. Will repeat this afternoon when I get hungry again.
                              GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                              49 - 5'7.5"
                              Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• Originally posted by MsSmith View Post
                                Thanks. I'm not overthinking it, just trying to get optimal results for my efforts and money. I am a "do whatever works" person and I am trying to narrow that down. Maybe it might even help someone else...?
                                I hear ya. I got caught up in overthinking things for quite a while by trying to optimize and getting the opposite, so maybe I'm a bit biased

And powdered coffeemate. Yikes! No wonder haha. The frother works wonders for me, but I also can't do drip coffee, to me it just tastes bland. Thankfully, my office purchased a keurig-like espresso maker. Add some foamed milk and yum!

Hitting the pause button on the PH today. Just got asked to go out to lunch with coworkers, and since I haven't left for lunch all week, I'm not saying no. Plus I saved so much with potatoes this week!
                                Last edited by Nivanthe; 11-15-2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X