Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potato Diet, Fall 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Potato Diet, Fall 2013

    Originally posted by Hotmail View Post
    Yes Turq, with cottage cheese they are satisfying to me too, but the hack is supposed to be without.
    It only takes 1-2 tbsp of cottage cheese per 4-5 small potatoes. A lot of people use 1tbsp butter per 1 large potato and still get results.

    Like I said it works when it is just cold boiled potatoes by itself for me too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

    My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


    Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

    " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

    Comment


    • Not to be too Asian but if this was a rice hack I could go for days just eating rice (wouldn't lose weight though, would eat too much).

      Rice porridge is like my comfort food. Just white rice and water. Reminds me of childhood.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      ------
      HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

      My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


      Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

      " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

      Comment


      • No change on the scale for me after day 1. I'm tatering again today, but back to normal eating tomorrow as I have a social function.
        My Journal

        Comment


        • Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
          Not to be too Asian but if this was a rice hack I could go for days just eating rice (wouldn't lose weight though, would eat too much).

          Rice porridge is like my comfort food. Just white rice and water. Reminds me of childhood.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Me too, love rice porridge, and big bowl of rice with a bit of chili oil.. heaven!! but like you I'd eat far too much.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
            No change on the scale for me after day 1. I'm tatering again today, but back to normal eating tomorrow as I have a social function.
            Nothing says you have to do XX days in a row or it won't work. I think if a person cycled in a couple potato days every so often, it would go a long way towards long-term maintenance, and easier than fasting.

            Originally posted by Hotmail View Post
            Me too, love rice porridge, and big bowl of rice with a bit of chili oil.. heaven!! but like you I'd eat far too much.
            Funny thing with rice. 1 cup of cooked rice has about 210 calories, but when you put a measured cup of cooked rice in a bowl or on a plate, it doesn't seem like much. I can easily eat 3-4 cups alongside a normal meal. I tried eating just rice for a few days last year thinking the potato diet was just a carb thing--didn't work out at all. I like rice, just doesn't fill me up like potatoes.

            Comment


            • Think more protein in the potato than rice

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Hotmail View Post
                Think more protein in the potato than rice
                Good point. I remember Jaminet saying in PHD that hunger is largely driven by a protein requirement. Maybe potatoes fill that need quicker.

                Comment


                • Yeah, I could eat waaaay more rice than I can potatoes. Nowhere near as satiating.

                  So has anyone not had success with the potato hack? I don't mean not being able to stick with it, I mean doing it properly and not seeing it work.
                  My Journal

                  Comment


                  • Potato Diet, Fall 2013

                    Originally posted by otzi View Post
                    Good point. I remember Jaminet saying in PHD that hunger is largely driven by a protein requirement. Maybe potatoes fill that need quicker.
                    What is the insulin/ blood sugar response to potatoes vs rice? That might have to do with it too...


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    ------
                    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

                    My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


                    Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

                    " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                      Yeah, I could eat waaaay more rice than I can potatoes. Nowhere near as satiating.

                      So has anyone not had success with the potato hack? I don't mean not being able to stick with it, I mean doing it properly and not seeing it work.
                      I think the biggest complaint, other than being hard to stick with, is that some people just can't fill up on potatoes so end up eating just as much as they were before, or being miserable. A few people complained of joint pain, like maybe a nightshade problem. Several people noted a bit of bloatage the first day or two, but mostly people who can stick with it 4 or more days in a row see about 1/2 to 1 pound a day loss. I don't think anyone complained that it all came right back when they went back to regularly scheduled eating.

                      If you were to do it like 1-2 days a week, I think the weight loss would be there, just hard to measure in real-time.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by otzi View Post
                        I think the biggest complaint, other than being hard to stick with, is that some people just can't fill up on potatoes so end up eating just as much as they were before, or being miserable. A few people complained of joint pain, like maybe a nightshade problem. Several people noted a bit of bloatage the first day or two, but mostly people who can stick with it 4 or more days in a row see about 1/2 to 1 pound a day loss. I don't think anyone complained that it all came right back when they went back to regularly scheduled eating.

                        If you were to do it like 1-2 days a week, I think the weight loss would be there, just hard to measure in real-time.
                        Well I'm aiming for 3-4 days a week and I'm already eating hypocalorically as I'm trying to lose weight, I've lost about 10 lbs in the past month. I'm guessing that because of that I won't see the initial whoosh that many people see due to water loss. I'm not really worrying that it won't work, if I'm lowering my weekly intake by 3-4000 calories something has to give right?
                        My Journal

                        Comment


                        • Tried to eat three potatoes instead of two. Haven't pooped in two days. Got that familiar horrific stabbing pain in my descending colon with every breath. Took some magnesium, giving it time.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

                          Comment


                          • Last night, I decided to keep eating potatoes until I really had that glow of feeling happy and satisfied.. so followed Turq's advise and had cold boiled potatoes, added salt and vinegar to it only, it took 2.5lb of boiled potatoes for me to achieve that happy full feeling, the kind of satisfactions that made me comfortable not to want to eat or crave anything else, but at the same time not feeling too uncomfortable/ stuffed kind.

                            hmmm 2.5lbs of white potatoes that's almost 1000 calories at one sitting !! I suppose it would be OK if one had one meal a day, but if I needed two meals, then it doesn't make sense.

                            I wonder if with time if I get used to the potatoes I would consume less?
                            I can experiment today, tomorrow I have a social lunch with a friend, so not going to be able to, unless I eat lots of potatoes before going and then not eating much there ?!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Hotmail View Post
                              Last night, I decided to keep eating potatoes until I really had that glow of feeling happy and satisfied.. so followed Turq's advise and had cold boiled potatoes, added salt and vinegar to it only, it took 2.5lb of boiled potatoes for me to achieve that happy full feeling, the kind of satisfactions that made me comfortable not to want to eat or crave anything else, but at the same time not feeling too uncomfortable/ stuffed kind.

                              hmmm 2.5lbs of white potatoes that's almost 1000 calories at one sitting !! I suppose it would be OK if one had one meal a day, but if I needed two meals, then it doesn't make sense.

                              I wonder if with time if I get used to the potatoes I would consume less?
                              I can experiment today, tomorrow I have a social lunch with a friend, so not going to be able to, unless I eat lots of potatoes before going and then not eating much there ?!
                              Wow! I ate a pound at once and had to force down the last quarter, I can't imagine eating 2.5 times that much! Maybe with time you would lose interest as food reward decreases?
                              My Journal

                              Comment


                              • First day yesterday, first meal was around noon: 666 grams (that's what the scale was saying...) of boiled white potatoes and a bit of salt. Filled me up fine but had a bit of low blood sugar a few hours later somehow, a feeling I haven't had since going primal. I'm used to eating potatoes but usually with vegetables, meat and some butter. Then got called out to work a few hours later so I rushed and put a few potatoes in the microwave, this time with just a tiny bit of beans in tomato sauce (mainly for the sauce). Felt fine during work and didn't feel the need to eat when coming home at 10.30pm.
                                This morning I'm down a whole kg, and half an inch on the waistline, but I guess this is just the initial "flush". Feeling good now and looking forward to my next boiled potato.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X