Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What fish oil supplements are safe to take when pregnant?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What fish oil supplements are safe to take when pregnant?

My wife is pregnant and is taking a generic Publix bought fish oil supplement and I am skeptical about it. I take Carlson's Cod Liver Oil, but she is hesitant because of contaminant/mercury scare for fetuses. What is the best fish oil supplement for a pregnant woman to take?

Just look for something that comes from small fish. It should say so on the label- something like anchovy, sardine, and mackerel. Being small and low on the food chain, they don't pose the same risk of being mercury laden.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyLawrence View Post
      My wife is pregnant and is taking a generic Publix bought fish oil supplement and I am skeptical about it. I take Carlson's Cod Liver Oil, but she is hesitant because of contaminant/mercury scare for fetuses. What is the best fish oil supplement for a pregnant woman to take?
      Sardines!
      My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Comment

If your wife also eats liver more than once a week and is taking daily cod liver oil she also watch vit A levels. Most women don't eat liver more than once a week anyhow, so it usually isn't a big deal.
        I'd stick with the above recommendations.. Small fish like krill oil that is cold pressed.

Comment

You should be more worried about synthetic vitamin A in most fish oils than the mercury.

Comment

If she has to take a sup, I would say she cannot go wrong with fermented cod liver oil. The only problem here is that it is quite expensive (I got some from Green Pastures and from what I read, it is the best you can find).

Comment

Fermented cod liver oil is great and is all I recommend to clients...the vit A in cod liver oil alone isn't a concern unless it's coupled with a diet high in vit A. Many cultures, particularly inuit, have recognized that it's dangerous to eat excessive vit A, especially when pregnant (can cause birth defects and tax the maternal liver).

If you want to keep your costs down, try to get the DHA from other sources like the sardine recommendation above or from other fatty fish eaten a few times a week. I wouldn't worry too much about mercury honestly. Just stay away from large predatory fish like shark ect.

If she's really freaked out you can also try a DHA from blue green algae however it's terribly expensive as well...better off with the FCLO.

Comment

Don't get fish oil supplements eat fish. Omega 3 oils oxidize really quickly and become toxic. It's why in trials taking tablets has a detrimental effect wheras eating fish a couple of times has a positive effect.
                Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
                www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

Only synthetic vitamin A is bad natural vitamin A is fine in very large amounts. You need an oil that hasn't had it's vitamins stripped and replaced with synthetic ones. The only one out there besides FCLO with is ridiculously expensive is Garden of Life Olde World Cod liver Oil, it's like 9 dollars on vitacost. Weston Price recommended 20,000iu of vitamin A per day from CLO as well as liver twice per week so you are looking at 30,000iu per day.

Comment

My wife is currently using the Prenatal DHA By: Nordic Naturals.
                    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
                    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Comment

Originally posted by charlii View Post
                      Only synthetic vitamin A is bad natural vitamin A is fine in very large amounts. You need an oil that hasn't had it's vitamins stripped and replaced with synthetic ones. The only one out there besides FCLO with is ridiculously expensive is Garden of Life Olde World Cod liver Oil, it's like 9 dollars on vitacost. Weston Price recommended 20,000iu of vitamin A per day from CLO as well as liver twice per week so you are looking at 30,000iu per day.
                      Natural Vitamin A can be dangerous in large doses I don't care what the Weston Price Organization says about it. They claim Vitamin D lowers the toxicity with people who consume large doses of vitamin A but this is bunk as well. Unless a person constantly has their vitamin A levels tests through supplementation it might do more harm that good. Also since the recommendation is for a pregnant woman I would not suggest that much Vitamin A.

I known people on a certain other diet that follows his recommendation of high Vitamin A with Vitamin D. A few people after a few months actually started to lose their hair!
                      My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
                      Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Comment

Originally posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
                        Natural Vitamin A can be dangerous in large doses I don't care what the Weston Price Organization says about it. They claim Vitamin D lowers the toxicity with people who consume large doses of vitamin A but this is bunk as well. Unless a person constantly has their vitamin A levels tests through supplementation it might do more harm that good. Also since the recommendation is for a pregnant woman I would not suggest that much Vitamin A.

I known people on a certain other diet that follows his recommendation of high Vitamin A with Vitamin D. A few people after a few months actually started to lose their hair!
                        20,000iu is only for pregant women, normal people he recommends 10,000iu. My point here isn't the dosage anyway I was just highlighting it's safety. My point is synthetic vitamin A is the thing to worry about in CLO. I think around 3g per day of omega 3 from CLO is very healthy, when you consider under people eating SAD can easily eat over 50g of polyunsaturated omega 6 in comparison 3g of omega 3 from unrefined CLO with it's natural vitamins is not only safe but very healthy. Although it's more about balancing 3/6. They should be 1 to 1 and probably no more than 6g of each.

Comment

The best Really is to eat Wild caught omega 3 fish, like salmon, Not to take supplements: Please get the book "Perfect Health Diet" by Paul and Shou-Ching Jaminet Ph.D's. Go straight to P.123-132 to see why: Fish is refrigerated or frozen after it is caught, so the omega 3's remain fresh. But, fish oil capsules have been stored at room temp for who knows how long, so you have no way of knowing if the oil has become oxidized or rancid. Yes, they do use the word toxic in reference to omega 3 oxidation. See P. 123: "The peroxidative index of omega 3 fats is even Higher than that of omega 6...".(! This really surprised me!). P. 124: "It is interesting that fish consumption has an excellent record in clinical trials, but fish oil capsule supplements do not". (They are not referring to pregnancy here, per se). Their emphatic recommendation: "Do NOT take fish oil capsules. Get your omega 3 fats from fish." The question, then, is how much oily fish to eat? It partly depends on how much omega 6 oil you consume, & they provide a comparative table on p. 128. See p. 129: "...minimize omega 6 fats, keeping them...preferably near 2% of energy, while eating about a pound of salmon (or similar fish, such as sardines) per week to achieve omega 6 and omega 3 balance." They also state that "omega 3 toxicity (even from fish) begins at about 3 grams of long chain omega 3's per day, meaning that it's important to eat less than 2 lbs. of salmon per week". P130-132 has fabulous charts showing omega 3 & omega 6 content of various protein sources. Also, charts with animal & plant based fats, oils, foods, & their % breakdown of saturated fat, monounsatutated fat, omega 3's & omega 6's. Visiting their website perfecthealthdiet.com may give more pregnancy specific recommendations, but their book gives the best, most comprehensive info on the omega 3 topic I have ever seen. They do cite studies. You may even get a response from Paul about pregnancy specific questions if you post the question on his website. You seem more aware than most people about nutrition in pregnancy. Best wishes!!

Comment

congratulations on the baby!

as mentioned above taking fish oil can be about worthless unless 0:6 is minimized and also can be dangerous if rancid. there is no effing way i'd take supermarket fish oil. just eat wild fatty fish. salmon, mackerel, sardines and herring are low enough on the food chain that mercury is not a concern.
                            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Nordic Naturals Supplements

Why Nordic Naturals
                              Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
                              Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
                              Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
                              Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
                              1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
                              GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                              CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
                              49 - 5'7.5"
                              Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

Working...
                              X