Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evidence that Taubes and Lustig are both wrong!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
    I'm honestly still here waiting for the evidence that white sugar is harmful in and of itself. Whenever I asked for citations, or proof, it gets tap danced around. You can't with a straight face honestly believe refined sugar has contributed to all the ailments that people claim it does, yet offer no conclusive evidence, and only show that white sugar is harmful in either obscene amounts, coupled with seed oils, or not even sucrose itself. People seem to lump them all together.

Half of the conditions can be explained away by huge sugar intake and lack of proper nutrients, honestly. I argued with Paleobird about it for a while, and she usually resulted in linking CW articles about teeth and then calling me a bunch of names like "junkie".
    I know we will hear nothing but crickets but feel free to post the "science" that it is good for you.
    PS there is a tonne of science showing that a low carb high fat diet is much better for you than a high carb diet...but as I say if you any thing to show otherwise we will await in the science.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
      I'm honestly still here waiting for the evidence that white sugar is harmful
      LOL people are insane.

Comment

• Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
        LOL people are insane.
        Not all people just certain ones....LOL
        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
        PS
        Don't forget to play!

Comment

• Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
          The two old ladies. BBC.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
          Well done!

Now we return to your regular programming.
          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
            PS there is a tonne of science showing that a low carb high fat diet is much better for you than a high carb diet...but as I say if you any thing to show otherwise we will await in the science.
            No. There isn't. There's weight loss studies, but there's no studies showing a low carb diet is as good or better than a healthy high carb diet during weight maintenance for moderately healthy people. They have to compare them to extremely poor low fat diets or use weight loss/calorie deficit just to make them not look terrible.
            Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 10-23-2013, 02:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Misabi View Post
              Well done!

Now we return to your regular programming.
              Gracias Senior.

Comment

• Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                Gracias Senior.

Oi! I may be older but I don't think I count as a senior just yet
                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                  Oi! I may be older but I don't think I count as a senior just yet
                  Lol..my fault. Seņor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                    No. There isn't. There's weight loss studies but there's no studies showing a healthy high carb diet is better during weight maintanince for moderately healthy people. They have to compared them to extremely poor low fat diets just to make them not look terrible.
                    One of my brothers was obese and could not lose weight (stressful daily life, lack of sleep, too inactive physically, snacking on crap regularly, blablabla). This is what I told him a while back:

- remove crap foods (wheat, refined sugar laden shit, veg oils)
                    - stop snacking, remove breakfast, have 2 square meals / day with fresh and high quality ingredients
                    - go low carb for like 2 months, up your meat, eggs intake, fish, add some organs, and stick to good fats (CO, butter). Use veggies for filling up
                    - sleep 9h / night, switch off your laptop 1h before going to bed, don't be exposed to excessive blue light late in the day

After 2 months like that, add potatoes, white rice, buckwheat, "safe starches" and eat fruits to taste, especially bananas and oranges. Reintroduce dairy if you like.

For the first time in years, he dropped weight very easily (about 35lbs so far).
                    I think that low carb is a good strategy for quick weight loss, more appetizing than super low fat. You tend to reduce your food intake, so long as you keep proteins up. But really, what is the point in continuing forever VLC ? Unless you find yourself on top of things with this WOE for decades, you are missing so many nice carby foods!! Ce serait bien dommage ...

Comment

I know we will hear nothing but crickets but feel free to post the "science" that it is good for you.
                      There is no science which shows that low carb, high fat is better (I assume you mean healthwise, or are you talking about weight loss?). Feel free to prove us wrong.

I'll keep updating over the next hour with what I find. I'm not making any kind of statement, just take the research for what it is. I'm spending some time crawling pub med for evidence whether sugar is inherently harmful or beneficial. I searched "glucose" in the title, only showing controlled clinical trials.

"Episodic memory ability benefited from glucose ingestion when task demands were high"
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18377687

"Oral administration of glucose before a heel stick caused the reduction of neonatal pain behavior"
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17090999

"Those who were initially less thirsty recalled significantly more words following glucose than placebo"
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19660507

"Glucose enhances memory performance in healthy young people"
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12191837

"After one-hour of arm crank exercise, performance over a further twenty minutes was improved when glucose was ingested twenty minutes prior to exercise"
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11842363

Okay, I'm off home now (was doing this at work lol). I searched PubMed with "glucose" in the title and controlled clinical trials only. Based on this small, shallow sample, glucose (sugar):
                      -Improves memory and cognition short term
                      -Reduces pain short term
                      -Improves physical performance short term
                      Last edited by AMonkey; 10-23-2013, 02:34 AM.
                      http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

• Well, years of trying to lose weight on brown rice and veggies didn't work nearly as well as losing weight on steak and eggs and sour cream. I don't really care about the science.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
                          LOL people are insane.
                          Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                          Not all people just certain ones....LOL
                          Sorry, but your less than stellar track record(both of yours) coupled with this "I said so" post is not enough for me to take what you're saying at face value. If I hadn't seen everything from the low carb camp already, I would still be unsure. Fortunately this junk science is easy to see through if you have any background knowledge in nutritional science and biochemistry.

I already put the burden of proof elsewhere, and still, nothing. You can only attempt special pleading and altering the question entirely because of your lack of 1). knowledge on the subject 2). lack of evidence on my post

Still waiting.
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            Well, years of trying to lose weight on brown rice and veggies didn't work nearly as well as losing weight on steak and eggs and sour cream. I don't really care about the science.
                            Why compare a protein rich diet to a protein deficient diet? High carb is not synonymous with low protein.
                            Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              Well, years of trying to lose weight on brown rice and veggies didn't work nearly as well as losing weight on steak and eggs and sour cream. I don't really care about the science.
                              What works for you is important, but you cannot talk about other people's bodies with n=1, nor can you decide what is optimal for your body long term.
                              http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

• "What works for you is important, but you cannot talk about other people's bodies with n=1, nor can you decide what is optimal for your body long term."

Does this mean we are all unique snowflakes not sharing a common physiology? Extrapolation is a tool used to look for patterns and form theories. There is no absolute knowledge one attains before taking the next step. Sufficient knowledge wd. be a reasonable goal. Thru this protocol if one experiences reversal of symptoms, even healing, there is reasonable grounds to believe continuing in that direction will result in long-term health. Sometimes n=1 is just a conversation stopper.
                                I

Comment

Working...
                                X