Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 Foot/19 Year Old Male/110 Pounds: Need Help Gaining/Understanding!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    6 feet and 110?!?

Eat eat eat eat eat eat eat eat eat eat eat eat

Sent via F-22 Raptor
    You didn't say it enough so I thought it should be repeated here.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by HardGainGrok1836 View Post
      Maybe add nuts to my cauliflower rice etc... to add extra calories here and there?
      Maybe add real rice to your cauliflower rice.

Then get rid of the cauliflower.
      Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
      https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
      MFP Food Diary:
      http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
      (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

3 squares won't do it, try 4 minimum, 6 preferred, and lots of mashed potatoes so you can get the calories in before satiety says stop. If you do dairy, add cheese. You'll find you have more energy to work out more beastly.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Must *Eat More*

I do not think I could just go from my standard breakfast to 6 eggs, four sausages and a gallon of milk overnight!
          Maybe work up to that kind of quantity...

But Im planning on throwing in an extra egg, an extra sausage, and topping it all with some raw cheese.

And as far as energy goes that would be great, because I do love my workouts! Especially if they are more beastly!

Comment

Eat more and lay off the cardio. Stick to lifting heavy.

Comment

Intentionally eating past appetite is not something that will help muscle growth to any great degree, unless you are taking steroids. If you are lifting heavy and your body is responding by packing on more muscle it will increase appetite to get the energy and materials it needs. Overeating will just make you fat and at best add 5-10% more strength than you would have gained eating normally, which you will lose when you cut to lose the excess fat so it's a false benefit. If you are naturally skinny you just have to accept than you are probably not going to respond to strength training like somebody who is naturally big and strong. Just like somebody who is stupid is never going to be clever, but they can do things to make the most of what they have.

Comment

Thanks for the advice so far! And yeah I have a 30inch waste but I am thin, my friends joke with me that if I turn sideways I become invisible.

Seems like the way to approach this is to just try to eat larger meals without feeling guilty, which is tough on days I do not lift/exercise! And I have never counted calories and do not plan on doing so!

Maybe add nuts to my cauliflower rice etc... to add extra calories here and there?
                For a little while, you should eat nothing resembling a cauliflower. If a mouthful of any food has less than 100 kCal, it should be off your shopping list until you gain 30 or 40 pounds.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Eat food. Don't worry about macros for a while, just eat any whole food that appeals to you. Stop the running and do some weights 3x a week.

Butter on everything. Ice cream with decent ingredients. Potatoes. Fruit. Cheese. Slabs of meat. Eggs. Dark chocolate. Caloric foods rock when you are 110lbs and 6'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                  Last edited by turquoisepassion; 10-20-2013, 11:42 AM.
                  ------
                  HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Turquoise wholefoods will help but are you saying he should eat past satiety?

As for workouts you should stick to compound movements, bench presses, rows, deadlifts, squats and shoulder presses. Go heavy 4-6 reps and things like bicep curls, sit ups and isolated deltoid exercises should be kept to 1 or 2 sets if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by charlii View Post
                      Turquoise wholefoods will help but are you saying he should eat past satiety?

As for workouts you should stick to compound movements, bench presses, rows, deadlifts, squats and shoulder presses. Go heavy 4-6 reps and things like bicep curls, sit ups and isolated deltoid exercises should be kept to 1 or 2 sets if at all.
                      Yes. I am. Because he isn't trying to lose weight. He is trying to gainnnn.

Eating at a caloric deficit because that is "to satiety wouldn't help him.

Last edited by turquoisepassion; 10-20-2013, 11:44 AM.
                      ------
                      HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

First EAT to satiety. Then DRINK a quart of chocolate milk past satiety! Rinse and repeat for every meal, four times a day...
                        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                          Yes. I am. Because he isn't trying to lose weight. He is trying to gainnnn.

Eating at a caloric deficit because that is "to satiety wouldn't help him.

I just think that strength training increases your appetite anyway so eating past that just leads to fat gain. I think eating past hunger to gain muscle is the same as calorie restriction for fat loss....it works short term but long term it's counterproductive. However if the OP wants to gain muscle and doesn't care about fat gain they should eat past satiety and do so by eating chocolate ect as palatable foods make it much easier to overeat. It's very hard to overeat eating whole foods. As a paleo option drink honey!!

Comment

Seems like the way to approach this is to just try to eat larger meals without feeling guilty, which is tough on days I do not lift/exercise!
                            It sounds to me like the bigger problem is the fact that you feel guilty for giving your body the fuel it needs to do what you're asking of it. I don't think you can call yourself a hard gainer if you just don't eat.

Maybe eat real rice with nuts added to it. If you really love cauliflower (and I wouldn't blame you, because I do) toss it with copious quantities of olive or coconut oil, a few spices and roast it til toasty. It will lose a lot of its water and you'll be able eat a lot more of it. And stop steaming your other veggies unless you're tossing them in lots of butter afterward.
                            50yo, 5'3"
                            SW-195
                            CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                            GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

OP seems to have orthorexia or some sort of unhealthy relationship with food. Feeling guilty about eating when you are 110lbs, a teen, and 6'?

Eat more.

Last edited by turquoisepassion; 10-20-2013, 12:12 PM.
                              ------

Comment

Whenever I cook breakfast, lunch, dinner, I just eyeball protein sizes and veggies etc.. so sometimes Im sure my calorie intake varies widely. I never leave my meals close to hungry, I stop eating when I am full or out of food. I actually prefer cauliflower rice over normal rice, but I took your advice and fried up plenty in coconut oil! I want to stick to as much whole foods as possible, so Im not really looking at lots of chocolate and gallons of milk.

In the gym I only focus on compound movements and I do the heaviest weight that I can perform with and keep form. (For me that is 60 pound squats) but it was 45 pounds a little while ago....As far as cardio goes, I do it about once every 2-3 weeks and its only sprints for 10 minutes but I will cut that out.

Comment

Working...
                                X