Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone ever become obese from eating Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mikekola View Post
    Bananas + nuts + almond butter and I'm pretty sure no one will resist that
    I would, I don't care for any of the 3. :/
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

• Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
      Oh, b.s. Whatever primal success stories you hear are short-term. There are plenty of people on this forum who haven't and never will lose an ounce, and whatever success they do have will only be from slavishly follow the Primal religion which is mostly just an ignorant ego trip.

I live the dream, no thanks to Mark Sisson.
      The whole paleo/primal movement isn't sustainable for the global population anyway, like I posted on my blog Sustainability of the bullet proof diet for the Earth's*population. - Ryan Mercer - Ryan Mercer after a discussion on the bulletproof exec forums earlier this year... the math is in the blog post, here is my conclusion
      You need 5.091 TRILLION pounds of beef every 2 years for the world to eat BP diet at 1lb a day per person. With the Earth at 5.04bn acres arable for us to use you can feed 252 million cattle to slaughter weight. Every 2 years you can produce 133.56 billion pounds of beef assuming no deaths.
      and that's just for beef, that doesn't consider butter and you know... veggies.
      -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

• Originally posted by Ripped View Post
        I don't think a high fat diet is necessarily truly primal anyways. Most wild game is much leaner than the farm raised animals we have today. They also didn't have bottles of olive oil and coconut oil and buckets full of nuts and cheese hanging from the trees.

Also, do the math. Eat some meat or fish and it has a good amount of fat in it. Add a ton of oil to it and you're adding extra calories that you probably don't need.
        Agreed.

But, some do think this way, or they did a year or two ago. "Lowering carbs are good? No carbs must be better!! Fat is good? More must be better!!" If one is desperate to lose, they will try anything. I've learned from my mistakes but it's an annoying road back to where I was before. I've quite nearly reverted back to how I was before I even discovered "Primal"; which ironically is still the palette of foods that Primal suggests, but without the pyramid or curve recommendations. Glad I learned about grassfed and all that, though.

Primal as written is OK, and certainly better than the SAD; but most don't do it correctly because these forums exist full of people tweaking and overanalyzing. And books? Who reads those?!

Comment

• I think the most valuable takeaway from Primal and Paleo is the focus on whole foods that gets people off the processed stuff. SAD and traditional diets (even Atkins) allow people to eat total chemical festival foods. All the macro arguments aside, it gets people off crap like fast food and Lean Cuisines. I'm sure that you can get obese on whole foods if you eat too much. I know a lot of fat "earth momma" types that eat whole foods (nothing processed) and are obese. They just eat too much. But I think eating whole foods diets and getting off the processed stuff would end the morbid obesity issues.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nivanthe View Post
            Turns out my body does NOT approve of a high-fat diet, and goes to the extreme to help keep me fat if eating that way. Confirmed from a gene test as well. "Them's the breaks!"
            I'm in the same boat...turning to a Primal WOE after coming off a low fat, low carb, mostly protein fad diet I've gained back all I lost and am dealing with a number of other health issues that have come up since then. I'm curious about the gene testing, if you'd care to share details.

Comment

• Originally posted by sra1984 View Post
              I am somewhat in this boat- except when I asked my doctor what my lean body mass was, she said 175 pounds- all of the charts would have me at the very obese end of things at my current 241 pounds, but body fat percentage I am considered "average." This has left me slightly adrift on what my weight goals should be, but 27 to 28% body fat (considered average, I guess) does not have me nearly as bothered as I would be. I build muscle like crazy- I might not have to go under 210 as far my ultimate weight goals are concerned. Most people will still consider me overweight. Our society is so skewed as to what constitutes "ideal" that they never stop to consider healthy. There is something very wrong with that. Healthy is healthy period. That's what I am shooting for- healthy. So, I say, good for you
              Originally posted by Ripped View Post
              You are HOT/SEXY!!! Where is the extra fat?

I think your fat % scale is clearly wrong. They usually are. That's why I'm convinced by now that considering bf % is useless. If you go by feel, the problem takes care of it'self.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who weighs 166 lbs and is a dancer at the girly bar. (That's a more extreme case.) But, it's all muscle, so you can't even tell. Muscle weighs A LOT more than fat, so unless you have a real lot of muscle, it won't make much of a difference noticeably that is. In other words, 5-10 lbs of extra muscle might not be noticeable, but 20 is probably more like it. But with fat on the other hand, as little as 5 lbs is A LOT and with me for example, it can make a difference if my gut is sticking out or flat.

Anyways, hearing stories like yours makes me jealous. If I could squeeze another 5-10 lbs of muscle out of this body of mine naturally, I'd like to. But for me it actually takes A LOT of extra work just to get that last bit. I hate that, I ain't in my 20's anymore!!!
              Ok guys, I had to come back over here and admit that I was wrong. I don't have 40% body fat. I had a caliper test done and came out 23%, which actually seems a lot more realistic. The Bodyfat scale at home sends an electrical current only through the bottom half of my body so it was a wildly skewed result.

I have to take back saying paleo made me obese. I did gain weight- most of which I now believe to be muscle mass, and some fat.

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
                The whole paleo/primal movement isn't sustainable for the global population anyway...
                Didn't we put this crap to rest in like 2007?

Comment

• Originally posted by moluv View Post
                  Ok guys, I had to come back over here and admit that I was wrong. I don't have 40% body fat. I had a caliper test done and came out 23%, which actually seems a lot more realistic. The Bodyfat scale at home sends an electrical current only through the bottom half of my body so it was a wildly skewed result.

I have to take back saying paleo made me obese. I did gain weight- most of which I now believe to be muscle mass, and some fat.
                  I knew it!!! I like some of Primal ideas..not all, but there is no way eating real food as opposed to pasta and pizza makes someone obese.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
                  Last edited by oceangrl; 10-24-2013, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• I would put it this way..... There is no way ever that eating Primal has ever "made" anyone obese, however if you tried really hard then you just might be able to gain enough weight to the point of being called clinically obese, but I would speculate that your metabolic and inflammatory markers would have a higher likelihood of being within or closer to healthy range regardless of the excess weight.
                    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-24-2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                      there is no way eating real food as opposed to pasta and pizza makes someone obese.

You sound as though those are the only two possible was of eating out there. I didn't come to primal from SAD. I came from a long history of other, mostly healthy WOE's (i.e. vegetarian, raw, WAPF most recently) and I increased in clothes size and scale weight. For the first time in my life I was unable to drop a few pounds by just cleaning things up for a few days- suddenly my weight wouldn't budge and I steadily crept up on the scales. I blamed "paleo" for making me fat, but now I think I should be thanking paleo for making me strong. I believe the size and weight I've put on is muscle. Last time I had a caliper test at the gym I was 24% bf and weighed 20 lbs less (about 5 years ago). So now I'm 23% and 165, doesn't that mean I put on 20lb of muscle? I know that last sentence strays from the point but I'm still wrapping my brain around this revelation and want to get some ideas from the group.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        Didn't we put this crap to rest in like 2007?
                        Apparently not. I really hate to get into it again, but feeding more people => more starving people. If not for corn, wheat, rice, and other high-yield annual grains being intentionally cultivated we wouldn't have to worry about the glaciers or the ozone layer or the rainforest. Because there would be a number of us on the planet that the planet could actually sustain. Suggesting that we eat more wheat and corn so we can make more people is not a solution. Let me put it another way:

Food production and population growth is a positive feedback loop. Increase the food, increase the population. We respond to increased population by increasing the food. Which results in an increase in the population. Which we respond to by... increasing... the... food. We've run this experiment every year for 10,000 years and it's come out the same every. single. time. No amount of free birth control in the third world countries can change the fact that we, as a species, are subject to the same laws as every other species. And any biologist will tell you that a species' population grows in response to an increase in its food supply.

So yeah, if your goal is to overrun the planet and render it completely uninhabitable as quickly as possible, grains are the way to go. If you want to build topsoil, and stop sending surplus commodity crops to third world countries that have overrun their own continents' carrying capacity 2 or 3 times over (I'm look at you, Africa), then maybe this Primal mumbo-jumbo has some merits outside the fact that it allows us compression of morbidity and makes us look better naked.

Next!
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

You sound as though those are the only two possible was of eating out there. I didn't come to primal from SAD. I came from a long history of other, mostly healthy WOE's (i.e. vegetarian, raw, WAPF most recently) and I increased in clothes size and scale weight. For the first time in my life I was unable to drop a few pounds by just cleaning things up for a few days- suddenly my weight wouldn't budge and I steadily crept up on the scales. I blamed "paleo" for making me fat, but now I think I should be thanking paleo for making me strong. I believe the size and weight I've put on is muscle. Last time I had a caliper test at the gym I was 24% bf and weighed 20 lbs less (about 5 years ago). So now I'm 23% and 165, doesn't that mean I put on 20lb of muscle? I know that last sentence strays from the point but I'm still wrapping my brain around this revelation and want to get some ideas from the group.
                          Sigh..(yoga is right..we are like Laurel and Hardy) we have had different experiences and no..I was not saying those are the only 2 possibilities. I get what you are saying though.

Last edited by oceangrl; 10-24-2013, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                            Food production and population growth is a positive feedback loop.
                            Collapse is a good book about this. Many biologists admit that they don't know what a nourished specimen of most species would look like since virtually all of them breed themselves into a state of mild Malthusian deficiency.
                            37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

• Originally posted by Nivanthe View Post
                              Primal as written is OK, and certainly better than the SAD; but most don't do it correctly because these forums exist full of people tweaking and overanalyzing. And books? Who reads those?!
                              I think this goes right along with Mark's newest blog post called "Why Diets Fail".

And I think that's why people get fat to begin with. We are too smart for our own good. Sure, it started with making food the way it wasn't mean to be. But what happened next?

We started making up rules. Finish everything on your plate. Eat 3 meals per day. And from there it just kept getting more and more complicated and confusing. And again, with the internet age it only got worse.

If we just left it alone, everything would be fine. Eat real foods when you are hungry. Stop when you are full. If you feel you've eaten too much, take a break. If people just did that there wouldn't be any fat people.

It isn't that complicated. If chimpanzees can do it why can't we? Simple. Because we think too much. Our brains get in the way.

Comment

I blamed "paleo" for making me fat, but now I think I should be thanking paleo for making me strong. I believe the size and weight I've put on is muscle. Last time I had a caliper test at the gym I was 24% bf and weighed 20 lbs less (about 5 years ago). So now I'm 23% and 165, doesn't that mean I put on 20lb of muscle? I know that last sentence strays from the point but I'm still wrapping my brain around this revelation and want to get some ideas from the group.
                                Based on that (and calipers are very reliable in the hands of someone who knows how to use them) you have put on 20 lbs of lean mass (this is everything that is not fat, so primarily muscle) and lost a couple pounds of fat.
                                Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-25-2013, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X