Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone ever become obese from eating Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post

    I think it is a good tool for health, but not a fat cutting diet for most people. I've noticed most of the female "success stories" have to do with women in poor health regaining health or younger under 25 women.

    For your typical middle aged woman, it's probably way too easy to eat too many calories to get to a point of being very lean. I think there are two things to consider- one being that the "preference" on a "healthy" body is to the low end of body fat. So we actually all want bodies that are veering into the unhealthy lean category and feel that bodies that are technically healthy are "overweight" or even obese. To me, SB Hikes has an amazingly healthy body; if it wasn't she would not be making huge strength gains and excelling at endurance activities. IMO, our definition of a healthy body doesn't reflect what we think it should look like.

    Secondly, we assume that people with lean bodies somehow got there just by eating healthy, which for the most part is a myth. I think Mark Sisson is probably basically someone who tends towards leanness naturally. Most people in their 30's-40's who at one point had weight issues but now have 6 packs are eating very strict diets that go well beyond primal and generally include some form of carb or fat restriction, a reduced amount of calories and either frequent eating or IF. Few are eating 3 hearty meals a day of meats, veggies and some fruits and nuts, with the occasional splurge. That kind of body is just not effortless for most people.

    My "success story" ends with me changing my diet to work on fat loss. I got to a decently healthy weight on Primal alone, but it took additional exercise to start shaping my body and ultimately an IF approach to hopefully shed more fat. I feel like if I just kept up primal at 100 or so carbs a day plus occasional 20% indulgences I'd be back to obese within a year.

    I'm certainly happy with results- great lifestyle change and impetus to people to start eating real foods, but it's not going to give most people a "vanity lean" body like Mark Sisson's. It's also very easy to get calorie creep on primal foods and put on weight. However, I think if tomorrow, everyone started eating primal, we would have a much healthier society, but no, we would not have a bunch more people that look like fitness models running around.
    My results following primal (so far). I'm by no means lean, but I'm a hell of a lot leaner than I used to be!

    Comment


    • #77
      In fact my point was that you don't have to feel deprived on 1200 calories per day - you can eat anything you want, you just can't eat a ton of it every day. I love cheese, which is calorically horrific. But when I want to splurge, I IF, then eat a whole bunch of it.
      Dunno, I eat 3 eggs, I am starving 2 hours later. I can put away a pound of ground beef unsalted without blinking. Whenever I eat less than 1500 cals a day I feel like I am starving by day 3. On 1000 cals a day low carb, when I did UD 2.0 I called it 'black Thursday', because I was literally contemplating suicide by Thursday afternoon (day 3 of caloric and carb restriction) not to mention started to move like an octogenarian.

      My BMR is 1350 cals a day or so (according to calculations), and it takes white-knuckling to keep calories that low by supper time (I actually remember afternoons when all I could do was to grip the edge of my desk for 60-90 min straight because I ate all the food I brought by 10 am). One of the lowest points of my life was when I realized that I am not digging an orange peel from a trash can because there is no tasty orange peel in the trash-can.

      I tried IF, but it seemed to have made the problem worse after a few months, rather than fix it. I seem to be one of those people who can't stop eating when they start after 14-18 hr fast. And after a while I could not go without breakfast. I get up around 4 am, so if I do not have breakfast I can't work, I get so unfocused and hysterical (and I handle food right at 4 am to cook my folks' breakfasts and pack their lunches).... And I can't miss supper because I have to set it up for my family, and I am pretty sure that it is one of the basic forms of torture to cut up and serve fruit plates on a ketonic diet. I get really hungry while I cook, because it has been so long since lunch. Ever since I've lost post-pregnancy weight, all I can remember is being hungry for 4 years until I regained 15 lbs. And even after I have regained weight, I am still hungrier than I used to be before pg weight gain.

      I am popping glucomannan 2x a day now to keep hunger tolerable. All and all, I don't understand why hunger has been elevated so dramatically.
      Last edited by Leida; 10-21-2013, 01:41 PM.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by Leida View Post
        I tried IF, but it seemed to have made the problem worse after a few months, rather than fix it. I seem to be one of those people who can't stop eating when they start after 14-18 hr fast.
        Do you eat vegetables?

        Because one of the things I found when I was eating only once a day was that I wasn't physically able to eat enough food in one sitting (my stomach would become too full).

        Vegetables are pretty energy poor, so it's hard to overeat on the carrots and spinach you have with your steak and wedges.

        Originally posted by Leida View Post
        And after a while I could not go without breakfast. I get up around 4 am, so if I do not have breakfast I can't work, I get so unfocused and hysterical (and I handle food right at 4 am to cook my folks' breakfasts and pack their lunches)....
        This sounds a little bit like me. What I found worked was having enough fat in my morning breakfast. That would let me go all day.

        Originally posted by Leida View Post
        And I can't miss supper because I have to set it up for my family, and I am pretty sure that it is one of the basic forms of torture to cut up and serve fruit plates on a ketonic diet.
        Just out of interest, why are you shooting for ketosis? Because it sounds like you are trying to undereat, and when you aren't getting enough food, you body is pretty efficient at metabolising all that fructose.

        Originally posted by Leida View Post
        I get really hungry while I cook, because it has been so long since lunch. Ever since I've lost post-pregnancy weight, all I can remember is being hungry for 4 years until I regained 15 lbs. And even after I have regained weight, I am still hungrier than I used to be before pg weight gain.
        This says to me that you aren't eating enough. Maybe what you are wanting is body recomposition (i.e. muscle displacing fat)?

        Of course, weights/exercise isn't 'effortless', but it doesn't sound to me like white knuckle hunger is effortless for you either.

        Originally posted by Leida View Post
        I am popping glucomannan 2x a day now to keep hunger tolerable. All and all, I don't understand why hunger has been elevated so dramatically.
        It sounds like there's something missing from your diet. Perhaps it's carbs. Perhaps it's total calories. Maybe it's something else like D3, or Magnesium, or whatever. It's common to overgraze when you are deficient in something.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

        Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by Ripped View Post
          So folks? How about my original question about fast fat loss and recovering from obesity? I want opinions.

          If primal eating done correctly can't make you obese, and one has to resort to fast fat loss techniques (such as a very low calorie diet (VLCD) AKA protein sparing modified fast (PSMF), both which are typically less than 800 calories per day) in order to recover from obesity, then will they gain it all back once switching to normal primal eating? Or is that just a bunch of rubbish?

          I say rubbish!!!

          Well, my opinion is based on my personal experience. I use the principals that Mark has put forth in his book as guidelines and inspiration, but I certainly carve out my own path, as I think most of the folks here do. Because I am in it for the long haul, I have focused on healthy sustainable habits.

          I have been primal since January and I have lost 22lbs. I have 28 more to go. I began as obese, and now I am overweight according to the charts. I find that I do drop weight more quickly when I consume less fruit and a bit lower carb, but as this is a lifestyle choice for me I know that the weight loss will continue as I get healthier. I feel that quick weight loss is very possible within the Primal Blueprint, and beneficial, it is just not for me, at this time of life. It will probably take me until sometime next year to drop the other 30, with the way I am approaching this.

          I eat healthy whole foods within the primal guidelines, I do regulate quantity, but eat until satisfied (the amount of food I require to be satisfied has decreased as my broken relationship with food is being reapaired). I also walk, hike and do a bit of body resistance exercise. I'm not at all into the gym, etc. I try to get the proper amount of sleep and loads of fresh air and sunshine, when possible. I'm a woman in my early 50's so my goals may not be the same as younger people.

          Can a person get obese on a "Primal Diet"? Sure, but they would really be off-roading the common sense approach of "normal primal." Just my humble opinion from my own personal experience.

          Comment


          • #80
            If you look at actual women who still live in tribal cultures living off the land, they are never as thin and muscular as what is recommended as ideal in this culture. And the men are usually pretty small. They're not even close to 200lbs like certain weight lifting groups think is necessary to be a real man.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
              If you look at actual women who still live in tribal cultures living off the land, they are never as thin and muscular as what is recommended as ideal in this culture. And the men are usually pretty small. They're not even close to 200lbs like certain weight lifting groups think is necessary to be a real man.
              Yup. I'm gonna start a new charity to donate squat racks to the maasai. Those dudes are way too skinny.

              I'm not trying to defend the 200 pound comments you're talking about, but let's remember that the people who still live like our ancestors are the ones who live on the fringes of inhabitable lands. Everything that would have fed them more copiously has been put to the plow. They were, probably, on average, a bit bigger and swoler than the extant tribal peoples we can study today.
              The Champagne of Beards

              Comment


              • #82
                The real question is not whether you can become obese on Primal but how you will manage your weight and health issues (which will be related to this WOE) 5 or 10 years from now. Primal is hard on the body and will definitely create problems for most of you.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                  The real question is not whether you can become obese on Primal but how you will manage your weight and health issues (which will be related to this WOE) 5 or 10 years from now. Primal is hard on the body and will definitely create problems for most of you.
                  Missed you, fiercey.
                  The Champagne of Beards

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    Missed you, fiercey.
                    is your aim getting better?

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                      is your aim getting better?
                      Clearly it's getting worse.
                      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

                      Griff's cholesterol primer
                      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                      bloodorchid is always right

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        Missed you, fiercey.
                        Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                        is your aim getting better?
                        Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                        Clearly it's getting worse.
                        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                        Originally posted by tfarny
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                          Clearly it's getting worse.
                          I blame urinals.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                            The real question is not whether you can become obese on Primal but how you will manage your weight and health issues (which will be related to this WOE) 5 or 10 years from now. Primal is hard on the body and will definitely create problems for most of you.
                            I asked you this in another thread after you made a similar comment.

                            I've been paleo/primal for 5 years. Please explain what your crystal ball holds for me in the next 5 years?
                            If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                            Originally posted by tfarny
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                              Yup. I'm gonna start a new charity to donate squat racks to the maasai. Those dudes are way too skinny.

                              I'm not trying to defend the 200 pound comments you're talking about, but let's remember that the people who still live like our ancestors are the ones who live on the fringes of inhabitable lands. Everything that would have fed them more copiously has been put to the plow. They were, probably, on average, a bit bigger and swoler than the extant tribal peoples we can study today.
                              Yep, I think they'd look more like people still living traditional lifestyles on the Polynesian or Micronesian Islands:



                              Or Australia as recent as a 120 years ago:

                              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                              Originally posted by tfarny
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                                The real question is not whether you can become obese on Primal but how you will manage your weight and health issues (which will be related to this WOE) 5 or 10 years from now. Primal is hard on the body and will definitely create problems for most of you.
                                please do tell what, specifically, is hard on the body

                                didn't you say primal sucks a few days ago? you just hang around for rich, don't you?

                                Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                                I blame urinals.
                                i read a potty training article once (i like to be prepared for the future) that for little boys, you could toss cheerios in the toilet and let them hit the targets

                                Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                                I asked you this in another thread after you made a similar comment.

                                I've been paleo/primal for 5 years. Please explain what your crystal ball holds for me in the next 5 years?
                                clearly you've already died and since halloween is coming up, you've been raised from your grave to post on this forum
                                beautiful
                                yeah you are

                                Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                                lol

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X