Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone ever become obese from eating Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel pretty sure that if the whole country went primal, even allowing or over eating of nuts, and paleo treats,etc, that on a whole population level - the number of overweight and/or obese people would drop dramatically.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
      I feel pretty sure that if the whole country went primal, even allowing or over eating of nuts, and paleo treats,etc, that on a whole population level - the number of overweight and/or obese people would drop dramatically.
      yep i think so too, and i think it would be kinda neat if that happened

i have some stubborn relatives
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
        Same for me. But here I sit at year three, those 50 pounds gone, stronger and healthier than ever, and I think "Hmm, only ten pounds less and my abs will be popping!" and I'm starting to think guzzling fat might be an impedance...now that I'm down to 17% body fat and wanting to go lower.
        It seems pretty common in the paleo world from my experience. Those last 10 lbs are hard in general but I have seen a number of "paleo" people drop 60lb+ steadily and it stops about 10-15lb short of being truly lean - what I consider 8-12% body fat on a male. Picking up more potatoes, fruit, and beans (black beans +1) really helped me lean out more awhile back. I think adding more good carbs in and being conservative on pointless fat intake from oils and butter is a big help towards the end. In fact I find about 400 calories of black beans a lot more satiating than most fat proteins of the same value. Really, the same with potatoes ..400 calories of potatoes is a lot of food. Meanwhile I can tear through 800 calories of steak or chicken legs easy. Maybe it's just me though.. but I think the classic high fat paleo design is hard for a lot of people to get the last 10-15lb off.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
          Of course, it's all one's own fault and it is really super-simple. Starve to death and all will be just peachy. Dunno, I really wish there was a way to have a firm body without starving while keeping a desk job, but honestly. It is NOT simple. It's just not. Sleeplessness, deprivation, depression, inability to handle family meals and beeing at home in proximity to food... and being hungry, hungry, hungry. I tried eating all fat, protein, classical keto, cyclic ketonic, classic CW... the result is all the same. You eat normal portions enough to satisfy, not feeling like you've overate... good food... weight gain. Will I get obese? I don't know. For my height I guess it is 180-190 lbs to be considered obese. Well, call me in 5 years and I will tell you if someone can eat all non-processed food, work out, move a lot, and still become obese. My guess is that, sadly, yes.
          Did you try fasting? At all?

I've been through the same thing by the way, but I was still able to overcome it long term. Was it simple? YES!!! Was it easy? NO!!! But I did it. I had to cut many times in many different ways, cutting calories very low, fasting, etc..

But honestly, now that I'm leaner, I really have no trouble keeping the weight off. I actually even eat ice cream almost every day and it doesn't make me fat. Clearly it's a lot harder to lose weight than it is to maintain it.

Anyways, sorry if my topic title was misleading, but the main point of my thread was meant to address the myth that if you lose weight fast you'll only gain it all back again and more. And I'm calling nonsense. Follow my example:

Let's assume for example you can lose up to 20 lbs per year, that which in my opinion can be achieved without too much discomfort. You aren't going to be able to gain that much back eating primal, and even if you could you wouldn't if it was in fact your goal to get lean and stay lean. With primal eating you can only gain weight so fast, that which can't be compared to how fast you can gain eating junk. With that being said, the faster you lose weight and the more total weight you lose, the more the amount you lost will outweigh what is possible to gain back.

So let's say for example you can gain 20 lbs per year eating primal. If you lose 20 lbs the first year because you cut hard, then allowed yourself to gain the next year, worst case the next year is you break even. But if you lose 50 lbs instead and gained 20 lbs back the next year, you'll still walk out 30 lbs lighter after two years.

You see what I mean? The math works out in your favor with primal. Because you can only gain so fast. And in reality, you probably won't gain on it unless you don't do it right. But if you do it right, no problem.

Compare that with what can be gained eating junk food as much as you want and as often as you want. The sky is the limit. If I can gain 20 lbs in 10 weeks, that means I can gain 100 lbs in a year. This is where the myth came from. This is why even studies show that most dieters fail. This is also why studies show many examples as to how people gain weight back after severe dieting as well.

Why? Most people in the USA are always gaining anyways. Because they eat junk. That's why they get fat. So it won't matter if you lost weight at 1/2 lb per week or 5 lbs per week. Because if you go back to eating crap, and they always do, you're going to gain weight again. This is what should be expected.

But not with primal. Sure you can, very slowly. But if you understand what you are doing, such shouldn't be an issue.

Get back to you in 5 years? I'd say that's a good call. Because you might be able to get there in 5 years if you really don't care, and are also eating primally. But not if you do. However, on SAD I can get there in 5 months, without a doubt, without even trying.

Comment

Originally posted by statikcat View Post
            It seems pretty common in the paleo world from my experience. Those last 10 lbs are hard in general but I have seen a number of "paleo" people drop 60lb+ steadily and it stops about 10-15lb short of being truly lean - what I consider 8-12% body fat on a male. Picking up more potatoes, fruit, and beans (black beans +1) really helped me lean out more awhile back. I think adding more good carbs in and being conservative on pointless fat intake from oils and butter is a big help towards the end. In fact I find about 400 calories of black beans a lot more satiating than most fat proteins of the same value. Really, the same with potatoes ..400 calories of potatoes is a lot of food. Meanwhile I can tear through 800 calories of steak or chicken legs easy. Maybe it's just me though.. but I think the classic high fat paleo design is hard for a lot of people to get the last 10-15lb off.
            I agree with this one. My first time trying high fat very low carbs worked pretty well for me. But I plateaued and my energy levels crashed. Years later I tried it differently and started to see more fat loss when I actually started finding ways to calories. Now days I'm more moderate with everything, but eat less frequently (2 meals per day) and fast once in a while, and that's what's keeping me lean.

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
              +1.

With the stipulation that not everything works for everybody. Even if it works for 90% of people, that's not everybody. With the stipulation that I believe things like genes and gut flora have not been researched thoroughly enough. Maybe because the money isn't there? And I believe the genetic component is very important. We all know plenty of people who are thin and seem to always have a bag of Cheetos in their hands.

But Paleo, Primal, PHD, etc., are all a good start. Going back to eating 1-3 discreet meals, not grazing all day is a good start. Not starving, but not treating every tiny hunger signal* as if one will perish if it's not taken care of immediately is a good start. And that's just the food side of it.

*Though Mark says to eat when you're hungry and not when you're not, I have to wonder how that would be possible. Maybe/probably I'm suggestible, but when you watch TV, you're bombarded with food commercials. (And OMG, travel-cooking shows always make me want to eat.) When you go into a movie theatre, you're hit with the smell of popcorn. If you work in a place where the snack room is close by, you'll catch the scent of people heating things in the microwave. And on and on. Those are the ones I am still teaching myself to ignore.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by sra1984 View Post
                I hope you are right, but I know from personal experience how easy it is to go overboard on things that are "good for you." I can eat any number of fruit and vegetables all day long if I let myself. Of course, to do this I have to ignore my hunger signals- which I have grown expert at as an emotional eater. That said, you are ahead of the game just eating the things that are good for you, but too many calories is too many calories, period.
                I've never worried about going overboard on veggies. Fruit & nuts I rarely eat. Maybe a banana or two or handful of almonds a week at most.

I recently (last 6 months) added potatoes in to up my carbs, mostly to fuel my workouts. Since adding them in I've only gone down 5lbs on scale, but almost 2 pant sizes, so still leaning out.

Comment

Did you try fasting? At all?

I've been through the same thing by the way, but I was still able to overcome it long term. Was it simple? YES!!! Was it easy? NO!!! But I did it. I had to cut many times in many different ways, cutting calories very low, fasting, etc..

But honestly, now that I'm leaner, I really have no trouble keeping the weight off. I actually even eat ice cream almost every day and it doesn't make me fat. Clearly it's a lot harder to lose weight than it is to maintain it.
                  Yes. For about 6+ months I was doing LG I fasted at least 5x a week for 16-20 hrs a day. No effect (well, slight weight creep, about 5 lbs). Once I managed 1 day fast, and a couple times - dinner to dinner. Over time it became harder and harder to fast to the point of not being able not only do desk job but to actually sit in a meeting (phase out) and sleep. Wake up after 4-5 hours with back pains and inability to fall asleep/exhaustion. Weight loss was possible by powering through it... but I can't summon the will after 4 years any more.

I reached a minimum weight of ~ 114 lbs twice (where I would have loved to stay!) - once on CW and once - on the Ultimate Diet 2.0, but it piled back up the moment I went over 1200-1400 cals a day and stopped starving. I basically never had had an experience of easy maintenance since childbirth. Even when I did not eat anything sweet, including fruit. Always hunger, either acute (CW) or chronic (LC). Chronic leads to sleep disturbances, low carb leads to depression and suicidal thoughts and near-faint state in about 6 weeks. Both eventually lead to food obsession/binges.

My body seems to refuse to function when I am not padded with BF. And even when I am, it takes conscious efforts and hunger to stay there.

I do believe that Paleo/Primal (but with inclusion of legumes) is the most beneficial way to eat.
                  Last edited by Leida; 10-18-2013, 11:51 AM.
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I just tend to think that paleo/primal is the "easy button" for being healthy and in decent shape. Hey, 8 billion people in the world, anything can happen...but unless something inside you is pretty much broken I think paleo/primal is a really good start.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                      +1.

With the stipulation that not everything works for everybody. Even if it works for 90% of people, that's not everybody. With the stipulation that I believe things like genes and gut flora have not been researched thoroughly enough. Maybe because the money isn't there? And I believe the genetic component is very important. We all know plenty of people who are thin and seem to always have a bag of Cheetos in their hands.

But Paleo, Primal, PHD, etc., are all a good start. Going back to eating 1-3 discreet meals, not grazing all day is a good start. Not starving, but not treating every tiny hunger signal* as if one will perish if it's not taken care of immediately is a good start. And that's just the food side of it.

*Though Mark says to eat when you're hungry and not when you're not, I have to wonder how that would be possible. Maybe/probably I'm suggestible, but when you watch TV, you're bombarded with food commercials. (And OMG, travel-cooking shows always make me want to eat.) When you go into a movie theatre, you're hit with the smell of popcorn. If you work in a place where the snack room is close by, you'll catch the scent of people heating things in the microwave. And on and on. Those are the ones I am still teaching myself to ignore.
                      Genes are important (I could never be obese), but food, lifestyle choices, and right information are the key. Getting the starches out is a start but if you don't lower your PUFA intake (omega 6 & 3), you will never be healthy, which is why so many people can't lose weight and eventually end up gaining, even on real food....

The Peat ideas if correctly applied work for everyone, whereas just reading this board you realize Primal works only in theory- ie its a nice idea, with no basis in reality.

Now that I've learned the truth I don't worry about what other people are doing. They can learn about PUFAs and starches if they want to. It's up to them.

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                        The Peat ideas if correctly applied work for everyone, whereas just reading this board you realize Primal works only in theory- ie its a nice idea, with no basis in reality.
                        Primal only works in theory? I'd have to say these boards are chock full of people for whom it's worked wonders. This post on a Friday, when there's yet another Friday success story on the main page.

Fierce, I just took a phone message for you. Reality called. It's wondering where you've been.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                          Primal only works in theory? I'd have to say these boards are chock full of people for whom it's worked wonders. This post on a Friday, when there's yet another Friday success story on the main page.

Fierce, I just took a phone message for you. Reality called. It's wondering where you've been.
                          Oh, b.s. Whatever primal success stories you hear are short-term. There are plenty of people on this forum who haven't and never will lose an ounce, and whatever success they do have will only be from slavishly follow the Primal religion which is mostly just an ignorant ego trip.

I live the dream, no thanks to Mark Sisson.

Comment

IME overeating whole foods is not impossible but it leaves a distinct and vaguely unpleasant stuffed feeling, unlikely to become a habit. The most I've ever managed is probably in the 3000-3200 kcal range, and that's on days with~40mi of cycling or following a 24-36hr fast.

Contrast with the US "bar food" template of dry starches used as soybean oil sponges. 2-3 bites, minimal chewing, astonishing energy content. Or cinema concessions--1000-2000 kcal easily and people are still in the mood for dinner 90 minutes later.
                            37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                              Oh, b.s. Whatever primal success stories you hear are short-term. There are plenty of people on this forum who haven't and never will lose an ounce, and whatever success they do have will only be from slavishly follow the Primal religion which is mostly just an ignorant ego trip.

I live the dream, no thanks to Mark Sisson.
                              yes, you're seeing life differently than many people do
                              beautiful
                              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                              lol

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                                Of course, it's all one's own fault and it is really super-simple. Starve to death and all will be just peachy. Dunno, I really wish there was a way to have a firm body without starving while keeping a desk job, but honestly. It is NOT simple. It's just not. Sleeplessness, deprivation, depression, inability to handle family meals and beeing at home in proximity to food... and being hungry, hungry, hungry. I tried eating all fat, protein, classical keto, cyclic ketonic, classic CW... the result is all the same. You eat normal portions enough to satisfy, not feeling like you've overate... good food... weight gain. Will I get obese? I don't know. For my height I guess it is 180-190 lbs to be considered obese. Well, call me in 5 years and I will tell you if someone can eat all non-processed food, work out, move a lot, and still become obese. My guess is that, sadly, yes.
                                Unfortunately, this is my experience. Unless I am hungry must of the time I am nor able to lose weight. I am primal and obese right now. I am considering going back on phentermine just because it gave me some sense of control. Sad, indeed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
                                X