How many carbs are in Sweet'n Low?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many carbs are in Sweet'n Low?

The box of Sweet'n Low packets that I bought states that each serving (one packet) contains less than one gram of carbohydrate. I'd like to know exactly how much less. I mean, what if I use three of these packets to sweeten my cup of coffee? If each packet contains, say, 0.9 grams, then I've just had 2.7 grams of carbs!

So, if I drink four cups of coffee thoughout the day, then I may have had 10.8 grams of carbs from Sweet'n Low alone! To err way on the side of caution, it would be best if I assume that each packet contains 0.99 grams of carbs.

Unfortunately, the FDA allows Sweet'n Low packaging to say "Zero Calories" when in fact, each packet has exactly four calories. The packaging also says that each packet contains "0% Daily Value Total Carbohydrate" when in fact there are "Less Than One Gram" of carbs per packet.

Maybe I should just accustom myself to one single packet of Sweet'n Lie (I mean Low )
    Any thoughts?

you couldn't pay me to consume that poison. what's wrong with sugar?

Comment

Originally posted by na5m View Post
      The box of Sweet'n Low packets that I bought states that each serving (one packet) contains less than one gram of carbohydrate. I'd like to know exactly how much less. I mean, what if I use three of these packets to sweeten my cup of coffee? If each packet contains, say, 0.9 grams, then I've just had 2.7 grams of carbs!
      If you use three of those things in a cup of coffee, you hate coffee. Stop drinking coffee. Problem solved.

So, if I drink four cups of coffee thoughout the day, then I may have had 10.8 grams of carbs from Sweet'n Low alone! To err way on the side of caution, it would be best if I assume that each packet contains 0.99 grams of carbs.
      No, I think it would have to have less than 0.5g carbs to be labeled as 0. 4 cups of coffee with 3 sweet n lows is almost as much as they give the rats in the cancer studies. Yuck.

Unfortunately, the FDA allows Sweet'n Low packaging to say "Zero Calories" when in fact, each packet has exactly four calories. The packaging also says that each packet contains "0% Daily Value Total Carbohydrate" when in fact there are "Less Than One Gram" of carbs per packet.

Maybe I should just accustom myself to one single packet of Sweet'n Lie (I mean Low )
      Any thoughts?
      You are missing the forest for the trees. You're worried about a few dozen calories that come from your chemistry lab-created artificial sweetener. You're better off with real sugar, as NOTR said.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I'm going to be an optimist and hope your right, RichMahogany, with the 0.5 grams of carbs/packet. And you are right. I do sometimes (Well, a lot of times. Well, most of the time ) miss the forest for the trees. I just wish food packagers weren't allowed to "round down" to zero. Just tell us consumers the truth about what is in your food we're eating.

BTW, I'm just finishing week one of the Induction Phase of my Atkins / Primal diet. I feel sooo much more energetic living low-carb!

Comment

I'm cracking up.
          | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

I'm going to be an optimist and hope your right, RichMahogany, with the 0.5 grams of carbs/packet. And you are right. I do sometimes (Well, a lot of times. Well, most of the time ) miss the forest for the trees. I just wish food packagers weren't allowed to "round down" to zero. Just tell us consumers the truth about what is in your food we're eating.

BTW, I'm just finishing week one of the Induction Phase of my Atkins / Primal diet. I feel sooo much more energetic living low-carb!
            Have you read the Primal Blueprint?
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I haven't , but I will now

EDIT: errrrr.. which Primal Blueprint? Not sure what you mean. Please post a link for me. Thanks!
              Last edited by na5m; 10-17-2013, 06:10 AM. Reason: New question

Comment

I haven't , but I will now
                Good idea! (Wish I'd thought of it).
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

RichMahogany: errrrr.. which Primal Blueprint? Not sure what you mean. Please post a link for me. Thanks!

Comment

RichMahogany: errrrr.. which Primal Blueprint? Not sure what you mean. Please post a link for me. Thanks!
                    THE one and only Primal Blueprint. google it. or just click the nifty picture of it at the top of the page. or click up top where it says "the store". you'll figure it out...

Comment

[sarcastic mode ON]
                      if you keep buying those packets of sweetener, yes, you will lose weight: _money_ weight
                      [/mode OFF]

Seriously, try to drink your coffee unsweetened. You will quickly get used to it and after the new habit is created, wonder why you sweetened it in the first place.

Comment

Oh. Now I got ya
                        No, I haven't read that book. I don't own it. Didn't know it was an actual, good ol' fashioned book with real paper pages.
                        I wasn't planning on spending money for a book. Although I'm sure it is very informative.

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
                          [sarcastic mode ON]
                          if you keep buying those packets of sweetener, yes, you will lose weight: _money_ weight
                          [/mode OFF]

Seriously, try to drink your coffee unsweetened. You will quickly get used to it and after the new habit is created, wonder why you sweetened it in the first place.
                          Ha! True enough. I'll try to get by with one packet per cup o' coffee

Comment

na5m, you can get a lot of info from the Start Here button toward the top of the page if you want to get the gist of Primal before investing in the book.

If you're going to use sweetener in your coffee, and you don't want sugar, you might try stevia. Fewer people think it's harmful.

Good luck.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Isn't Sweet and low mostly dextrose or glucose? Personally I am using something similar, a local brand that contain 95.6 % dextrose, 3 % maltodextrin and sucralose 1.2 %, so basically glucose and much sweeter and better than ordinary sugar and without the fructose! Well, I prefer my café noir – black with nothing added - but sometimes I drink a cappuccino and then I like it sweet…
                              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                              X