Yet another cholesterol thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another cholesterol thread

Sorry for another cholesterol thread, but I need some feedback. I am a 25 year old male, I've been eating clean paleo (closest to PHD at the moment) for about 5 months now, been lifting heaving, sprinting, etc. Yet, my cholesterol has jumped up big time. My father has high cholesterol as well, leading my PCP to conclude that I have Familial Hypercholesterolemia without actually testing. So with that conclusion, he has prescribed me 10 mg of Lipitor.

Fasting numbers:
    TC 296
    HDL 76
    LDL (direct measurement) 207
    TG 72

From what I read about thyroid function and high LDL, I had my PCP check my thyroid:
    TSH 2.23 (supposedly "normal")

The really weird thing: I just had my cholesterol checked a week and a half ago. My numbers came out high, but I was not fasting. The doctor said it was fine, given that they were testing my LDL directly. Anyways, my numbers were lower when I was not fasting!

Non-fasting (from a week and half ago):
    TC 266
    HDL 61
    LDL (direct measurement) 177
    TG 81

I am very confused, and annoyed. Given my family history, I don't think any doc is going to differ on his treatment method. Any opinions here?

I think it takes more symptoms and signs than just having a family member with slightly high cholesterol to warrant a diagnosis of familial hypercholesterolemia. Your doctor is reaching.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      I think it takes more symptoms and signs than just having a family member with slightly high cholesterol to warrant a diagnosis of familial hypercholesterolemia. Your doctor is reaching.
      I think he got nervous when I told him that my father had a quadruple bypass. Tunnel vision thereafter.

Comment

I really hate to toot my own horn, but you should really get your eyes looked at.....it is one of the best ways to detect famililal Hchol. It is often very visible in the retina to a degree it is otherwise well-hidden.

Get an appt with any optometrist and let them know you want it looked at. It won't change the PCP's mind, but it is a way to confirm.
        "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
          I really hate to toot my own horn, but you should really get your eyes looked at.....it is one of the best ways to detect famililal Hchol. It is often very visible in the retina to a degree it is otherwise well-hidden.

Get an appt with any optometrist and let them know you want it looked at. It won't change the PCP's mind, but it is a way to confirm.
          My father is an optometrist I'll ask him about it. However, would that present itself only in homozygous FH?

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post

My father is an optometrist I'll ask him about it. However, would that present itself only in homozygous FH?

Comment

Yet another cholesterol thread

Lower the Saturated fat and see if your numbers drop, if they do it's not FH. That simple! Taking a statin when you eat a high fat diet? Yeah that sounds logical.

Comment

You're just another case for your doctor. My visit to a cardiologist also had the same diagnosis - hypercholesterolaemia or hyperlipidemia. My cholesterol numbers currently are as low as they can be because I moved away from saturated fats and most red meats once I got the first report with high cholesterol numbers. That's a choice I made.

Get more tests done, if there are any that can help. Taking a statin at 25 years of age is not normal, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by faredoon View Post
                  You're just another case for your doctor. My visit to a cardiologist also had the same diagnosis - hypercholesterolaemia or hyperlipidemia. My cholesterol numbers currently are as low as they can be because I moved away from saturated fats and most red meats once I got the first report with high cholesterol numbers. That's a choice I made.

Get more tests done, if there are any that can help. Taking a statin at 25 years of age is not normal, IMHO.
                  I was thinking about paying for an NMR out of pocket. I'm guessing my LDL-P will be high as well, but there's a chance it could be discordant with my LDL-C. I'm also waiting on 23andme results. I am hoping it can shed some light on the FH and on my ApoE. If I am definitely FH and/or have an ApoE 4, I think I would have to abandon my current way of eating. I'm also thinking about getting a full thyroid panel done, given that my doctor only gave me my TSH. I'm mostly interested in my T3 levels.

A big question I have for you: if you abandoned red meat and still eat meat, do you not worry about omega 6 content? That's mostly why I eat read meat today: chicken and pork have high levels of omega 6, so I stay away. If I eliminated red meat and still tried to eliminate omega 6, I think I would have to be something akin to a pescetarian (do not want).

My final thought: I have lost a total of around 35 lbs in 4 months. Could my LDL be elevated because of that, or should it have normalized by now?

Comment

In that sense, I'm pretty much a pescitarian for the moment, and have moved away from Primal/Paleo, I forgot to mention that.
                    Can't speculate on the causes of the lipid results. In my case too, TSH was all that the doctor insisted on. He refused to do anything further till the lipid numbers were within "normal" limits. In fact he immediately referred me to a cardiologist (because I had other symptoms that freaked him out even more added to the fact that I have a family history of CVD).

It's a tough call for any person in this situation. I chose not to torment myself with these tests and what not. I don't have the "saturated fat" bravado anymore. I'm probably an anomaly on this forum, so take my comments with a pinch of salt.

Originally posted by howardroark View Post
                    I was thinking about paying for an NMR out of pocket. I'm guessing my LDL-P will be high as well, but there's a chance it could be discordant with my LDL-C. I'm also waiting on 23andme results. I am hoping it can shed some light on the FH and on my ApoE. If I am definitely FH and/or have an ApoE 4, I think I would have to abandon my current way of eating. I'm also thinking about getting a full thyroid panel done, given that my doctor only gave me my TSH. I'm mostly interested in my T3 levels.

A big question I have for you: if you abandoned red meat and still eat meat, do you not worry about omega 6 content? That's mostly why I eat read meat today: chicken and pork have high levels of omega 6, so I stay away. If I eliminated red meat and still tried to eliminate omega 6, I think I would have to be something akin to a pescetarian (do not want).

My final thought: I have lost a total of around 35 lbs in 4 months. Could my LDL be elevated because of that, or should it have normalized by now?

Comment

What were your numbers before going paleo? And when was your last test? It has been reported that cholesterol will go up during weight loss. So you may want to retest.

I would push hard for the correct diagnosis on the FH. Taking statins has not really been shown to extend the lifespan of people who have never had a heart attack. The possible exception to that would be people with FH. So it may be important to know.

Also, you could look at a few other things that can cause very high cholesterol. Certain vitamin deficiencies, drinking unfiltered coffee....I think there's a list out there somewhere - you could just check.
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Oh - and the two tests you have are pretty much the same. I think the normal variance for cholesterol tests can be in the range of 10-20%, so your numbers are statistically the same on the two tests.
                        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Hi Howard. You are a victim of the CW Medical Protocols by law.
                          1) A diagnosis with no test, of Hypercholesterolemia! A real test would say you are not because Hypercholesterolemia begins in the high TC = 600's by definition. I know because I do have it and have had those tests. Even so on PB my TC has lowered to the high 300's.
                          2) Read Grizz's primer on cholesterol. All of it. Since you are currently loosing weight, none of your test numbers are reliable.
                          3) Over the years the CW Medical Protocols have been lowering the 'top' of the healthy TC range. It started at 350 and is now down to 180, so as to sell more Lipitor. Wait for 3 months after ceasing weight loss and have then tested again.
                          4) After reading Grizz's primer calculate all your ratios. You'll feel a lot better.
                          5) Stay on HFLC PB. Watch the Cholesterol Myth. Do not give up read meat. Do not try to appease your doctor. Go by the primer and the ratios.
                          "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Fasting numbers:
                            TC 296
                            HDL 76
                            LDL (direct measurement) 207
                            TG 72

There's not necessarily anything wrong with these numbers, as LDL-C doesn't tell you much without knowing the particle size breakdown. And the TC number is totally useless and not really an indicator of anything. Your HDL/TG ratio is excellent, which probably also means you have more type A LDL, the harmless kind. You can't really make more conclusions without more information. Your doctor is using old standards that have been shown to not be reliable disease markers.

You might also want to get a CRP test for more context.
                            Last edited by NewOldGuy; 10-17-2013, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Holy heck.....I've been a pretty strict Primal guy for a year and a half. About a month ago I started experiencing light headedness on a consistent basis......still am. Went to the doctor, took my blood for a lipid panel and my total cholesterol is at 328!!!!!! I am freaked out. I've always been a pretty good to very good health. I liked the results of primal eating but now what do I do? My Triglycerides are at 119, HDL at 56 and my LDL is at 248. Chol to HDL ratio is 5.9. The other medical finding is that my blood pressure is low.....90/60 kind of readings. I'm fearful I am ruining my health with this high fat low carb diet. Can anyone convince me otherwise? Does anyone think that the lightheadedness maybe due to my arteries being affected by the high cholesterol levels? I'm feeling a bit of a fool right now....I was so pro primal. John

Comment

Working...
                              X