Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cholesterol results: how to read them

Hello,

I am new to this forum. And i am having dificulty understanding the cholesterol results i got today. Would like to have input from you experts

Started primal: May 2013
    Weight before May 2013: 310LBS
    Current weight: 262LBS

Test results
    Cholesterol Total 5
    HDL Cholesterol 1,1
    Cholesterol/HDL Cho. ratio 4,5
    LDL Cholesterol 3,4
    Triglycerids 1,03

Edit: After conversion to US units
    Total 5 mmol/l = 193.3488 mg/dl
    HDL 1.1 mmol/l = 42.53674 mg/dl
    LDL 3.4 mmol/l = 131.47718 mg/dl
    Triglycerids 1.03 mmol/l = 91.23118 mg/dl

Doc told me looked pretty good. She said LDL is too high (should be between -/3,1)

For somebody who's mother language isn't English, reading all the cholesterol topics on MDA is pretty hard to understand. So i am hoping for some replies on your views on these results. What should be improved (and if possible: how!)

Thanks!
    Last edited by dutchgrok; 10-16-2013, 06:42 AM. Reason: conversion of values

You might want to use some kind of an online unit conversion chart (from mmol/L into mg/dL), so these numbers are more comprehensible to us in the US.

Comment

Hi Graycat,

Thanks for the tip and sorry, i didnt notice that they were different units! will look

Comment

hope i converted that correct :-)

Comment

HDL to triglyceride level is crucial and predictive of heart disease. The in depth scienc eis there but here is a distilled version The Blood Lipid Ratio Everyone Should Watch
          Yours looks to be fine. Your LDLs are a bit high but that may not be a problem as there are a whole range of LDL molecules so total LDL isn't predictive of heart disease. Stressing about these numbers will probably make them worse
          Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
          www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by dutchgrok View Post
            Hello,

I am new to this forum. And i am having dificulty understanding the cholesterol results i got today. Would like to have input from you experts

Started primal: May 2013
            Weight before May 2013: 310LBS
            Current weight: 262LBS

Test results
            Cholesterol Total 5
            HDL Cholesterol 1,1
            Cholesterol/HDL Cho. ratio 4,5
            LDL Cholesterol 3,4
            Triglycerids 1,03

Edit: After conversion to US units

Doc told me looked pretty good. She said LDL is too high (should be between -/3,1)

For somebody who's mother language isn't English, reading all the cholesterol topics on MDA is pretty hard to understand. So i am hoping for some replies on your views on these results. What should be improved (and if possible: how!)

Thanks!
            Male or female?
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Male

Comment

Male
                HDL is kinda low for a primal. How much meat do you eat? Might need to add a few steaks/week to the diet to get that up.

I wouldn't be concerned about the LDL unless you got a NMR test and actually knew the LDL-P.

Triglycerides could be lower. What's your carb intake like?

Are you losing weight at the moment? Cholesterol results are kinda worthless unless you've been stable for several weeks.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Hi Rich,

I eat meat on every evening meal. But rest of the day not a lot. Sometines bacon at breakfast.

Carbs are around 100 grams a day approx. I dont count them on a daily basis.

Losing weight but very slowly. Also because gaining muscle because 2 primal workouts a week

Comment

Originally posted by MaceyUK View Post
                    HDL to triglyceride level is crucial and predictive of heart disease. The in depth scienc eis there but here is a distilled version The Blood Lipid Ratio Everyone Should Watch
                    Yours looks to be fine. Your LDLs are a bit high but that may not be a problem as there are a whole range of LDL molecules so total LDL isn't predictive of heart disease. Stressing about these numbers will probably make them worse
                    Thanks Macey. Not stressing at all :-)

Comment

Your results look similar to mine that I had run after about 8 months of LC primal. It appears you've lost about 48 lbs in 4-5 months which *might* explain the higher LDL. My HDL should be higher and Trigs should be lower (like yours) but the test accuracy is in question when you're still actively losing....from what I understand.

Comment

Well at 262lbs i do hope i am still actively losing weight :-) indeed weight not stable so probably hard to tell if & what to adjust

Comment

Well at 262lbs i do hope i am still actively losing weight :-) indeed weight not stable so probably hard to tell if & what to adjust
                          Yeah. Forget about it until you're weight stable for a good while.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                            Yeah. Forget about it until you're weight stable for a good while.
                            Thanks for your replies

Comment

I'm with you. I've lost 54lbs since January...nice and steady but I continue to lose. My numbers were similar to yours but my LDL was a little higher. I'm on 20-24 grams of carbs per day so I can't really go any lower. I'm chalking mine up to the fact that I'm still losing for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X