Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cure my chocolate craving without a dark chocolate bar?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to cure my chocolate craving without a dark chocolate bar?

What are some primal ways to cure my chocolate craving without buying dark chocolate? If I have it in the house I will eat all of it. Anyone know any delicious cocoa powder/dark chocolate powder recipes? Any recipes/advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I've seen "cacao nibs" in health food stores. They come in little tins and they seem pretty expensive, maybe that would keep you from pigging out?

I also once received as a gift, a little sampler box of Scharffen Berger chocolate squares, 5 grams each and individually wrapped. Those were great, I found I could eat just 1 at a time. (Important safety tip: Put the box AWAY before you open the wrapper.)

Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you. (Dang it, now I want chocolate... )

Comment

I just pound pot after pot of green tea. what's this "chocolate" that you speak of?

Comment

Personally, I don't fight my chocolate cravings; I just eat sugar-free chocolate exclusively (Trader Joe's "Simply Lite" brand). It's flavored with maltitol, which appears to have zero impact on blood glucose or insulin, even if you eat the whole bar (which I almost never do -- but beware the "mild laxative effect"). I dip it in nut butter -- almond, macadamia, hazelnut or walnut, depending on my mood and omega-3 status. No other treat comes close for me, primal or non-primal. This one indulgence makes it easy for me to eat an otherwise 100% primal diet.

Of course, there are studies that show merely tasting something sweet can lead to an insulin response, but I'm not convinced that applies to all people in all situations. For me, chocolate seems to have mystical nutritive properties, much like bacon, so I wouldn't want to forsake it completely.

Comment

...(Darth Friendly had chocolate for breakfast just for the record...)

Comment

haha. that's completely understandable. green tea can only satisfy one so much. =)

I wish I liked green tea, or tea in general for that matter. It's good for u, fills u up, and has like zero calories. Unfortunately I think tea tastes like stale water... =/

Comment

I mix 2 parts coconut oil with 1 part cocoa powder (by volume), then chill in the fridge or freezer until it's solid. Sometimes I'll add a little bit of some sweetener (maple syrup is good, honey always separates out, I'd imagine liquid stevia would work) but it's tasty without it, too, since coconut oil has some natural sweetness. It's good with shredded coconut or some chopped nuts mixed in too - in fact I originally got the idea from someone's "coconut oil bark" recipe here but I can't remember who at the moment, and that was full of nuts. You can do the same thing with bacon grease, but then I NEED sweetener in it, it tastes gross to me otherwise.
              "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Why don't you buy small 40 gram bars? They're perfect for a snack size.
                I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

My best tip is always "Powerballs"

I mix:
                  Butter
                  Coconut oil
                  coconut flakes(ground)
                  my favourite crished nuts
                  cocoa powder

Make balls in preferred size, put in fridge, enjoy!

(I have no reciepe, go by feeling...)

The fast and easier version is to skip the nuts

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                    chocolate seems to have mystical nutritive properties, much like bacon, so I wouldn't want to forsake it completely.
                    This is the beginning of true wisdom...

Comment

Originally posted by robss View Post
                      What are some primal ways to cure my chocolate craving without buying dark chocolate? If I have it in the house I will eat all of it. Anyone know any delicious cocoa powder/dark chocolate powder recipes? Any recipes/advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
                      Have you tried an even darker chocolate? I've gone with the Lindt 85%. I can't imagine eating (or wanting to eat) more than two squares of it in a sitting. Pounding down a whole bar of that would be hard core.

Comment

It's very easy. Trust me! I can pound back a 90% 100gram bar as well. That's why I suggest the smaller 40 gram serving sizes. You can usually get lindt ones ranging from 70% to 85%. And then once its gone, it's gone. Craving satisfied without gorging.
                        I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Dryden View Post
                          Have you tried an even darker chocolate? I've gone with the Lindt 85%. I can't imagine eating (or wanting to eat) more than two squares of it in a sitting. Pounding down a whole bar of that would be hard core.
                          HAH!

I guess everyone's different, but 85% for me is starting to get into the "too sweet" territory. My grocery store had Lindt 90% on sale a while back, and I bought a whole bunch of bars. About 20 of them. I have been trying to just have half a serving after most meals (2 squares), but very frequently I find that I crave more. So maybe a third of the time I have a full serving. This means that, on average, I eat nearly one 100g bar per day. Like Lovestoclimb, I could easily eat an entire bar in one sitting.

I'm trying to convince myself that my level of chocolate consumption is really a sacrifice for health purposes; that all those antioxidants after each meal are working hard to keep inflammation and LDL low. I know that probably sounds like I'm using some smoke and mirrors to make ascetic arguments justify my hedonistic tendencies. But hey, if asceticism and hedonism meet at dark chocolate, I'll take two servings of each please!

I also enjoy Ghirardelli's 100% cacao bars, which are starting to taste less and less bitter to me.

Comment

Instead of searching for a substitute, eat the real thing *in moderation*. Teach yourself some willpower!

Comment

I bought two pounds of raw, organic cocao nibs off amazon a few weeks ago and just chow down on a handful of those when I'm in the mood for chocolate. They are not sweet at all, but still have that chocolate taste to them so they manage to quell my craving. Also, they are much higher in flavonoids as they are unprocessed.

Comment

Working...
                              X