Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary cholesterol results

Hiya all,
    I have just had some pretty scary cholesterol results and would like some advice as my doc is trying to get me on statins.

Total 8.3 (320)
    LDL 6.12 (236)
    HDL 1.3 (50)
    Hdl ratio 6.4 (247)
    Triglycerides 2 (177)

Have been eating and training primal for 2 years now.

What do you think?

That ratio is the main thing that concerns me. I am not used to seeing paleos with an HDL of that number. The LDL is pretty par for the course for the diet, but an HDL of around 100 is usually seen along with it.

Two questions:
    1) What are you glucose markers looking like, as well as CRP if you have it. An A1c%, fasting BG, or a 100g glucose test would be amazingly helpful.
    2) What are you main meat sources, and how is your PUFA intake?

With this I will try to reply the best I can

"Blaming cholesterol for a heart attack is like blaming cold water for the Titanic going down.....I mean yes, there WAS cold water involved, but it HIT A DAMN ICEBURG first." -- Dr. Campbell, the smartest human I have ever met
    "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

I agree, your HDL is too low compared to your other numbers. How much animal and dairy fat do you eat? Are you low carbing?
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
        That ratio is the main thing that concerns me. I am not used to seeing paleos with an HDL of that number. The LDL is pretty par for the course for the diet, but an HDL of around 100 is usually seen along with it.

Two questions:
        1) What are you glucose markers looking like, as well as CRP if you have it. An A1c%, fasting BG, or a 100g glucose test would be amazingly helpful.
        2) What are you main meat sources, and how is your PUFA intake?

With this I will try to reply the best I can

"Blaming cholesterol for a heart attack is like blaming cold water for the Titanic going down.....I mean yes, there WAS cold water involved, but it HIT A DAMN ICEBURG first." -- Dr. Campbell, the smartest human I have ever met
        thanks for the response.
        My glucose levels are really good actually. My wife is steroid induced diabetic and so i check them regularly.
        Fasted is approx 77 (converted from UK units)
        i dont have the others that you ask for tho.
        Main meats are grass fed beef and chicken

The main reason for the test in the first place was for tiredness/fatigue......maybe this could be thyroid??

PUFA's....pretty low

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
          I agree, your HDL is too low compared to your other numbers. How much animal and dairy fat do you eat? Are you low carbing?
          A typical day is probably 150g of carbs

a typical day would be

3x eggs scrambled in butter+ 1 avocado for bfast
          goats yogurt and banana for lunch
          beef mince / sweet potato for dins
          maybe another banana during the day

i will up the carbs a bit on training days

Comment

I'm not aware of thyroid's connection to HDL. I thought there was some relationship between low thyroid function and high LDL though. Your trigs are sorta high and HDL sorta low for primal. Are you losing weight at the moment?
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by wehey View Post
              A typical day is probably 150g of carbs

a typical day would be

3x eggs scrambled in butter+ 1 avocado for bfast
              goats yogurt and banana for lunch
              beef mince / sweet potato for dins
              maybe another banana during the day

i will up the carbs a bit on training days
              Quantities? Doesn't sound like a lot of food, unless you're eating a lot of food.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                I'm not aware of thyroid's connection to HDL. I thought there was some relationship between low thyroid function and high LDL though. Your trigs are sorta high and HDL sorta low for primal. Are you losing weight at the moment?
                I was of the understanding that Hypothyroid caused high LDL ??

I am losing weight at the moment. I have lost 4lbs in the last 6 weeks, so nothing too dramatic

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  Quantities? Doesn't sound like a lot of food, unless you're eating a lot of food.
                  As above.....i am eating enough calories to lose 0.5 lbs approx a week. So a bit of a deficit going on at the moment. Nothing too dramatic tho.
                  The tiredness has been going on for a good few months now tho, long before the weight loss thing began

Comment

Yeah, the thyroid is to improve your LDL receptors (which takes the bad LDL out of circulation).

Sounds like you are getting enough carbs for thyroid. Do you supplement with Iodine at all?

Unrelated to cholesterol, I found when I added a D3 supplement my mood and energy shot up.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I'm glad others brought up thyroid. Your thyroid may be the best marker of your overall metabolic health - and not just TSH. I want TSH, T3, T4 and rT3.

Next would be an LDL pattern test.

You may also be copper deficient. Try eating oysters and BEEF liver. I'm not sure how I feel about a copper supplement, but you can look into it. I'm talking about three 4oz servings of beef liver a week every week for a month or two to get replete. Copper deficiency can cause high LDL.
                      Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-15-2013, 03:52 PM.
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Hi @wehey,

You cannot do much about the results. They're pretty much in-your-face.
                        As @TheyCallMeLazarus mentioned, HDL that low is unusual for a Primal Blueprint (or shall I say Paleo) exponent.

My results were pretty much the same as yours around 2 months ago, except for the HDL (which was approx. 70, I think).

Have you thought of taking it a bit easy with the meat and mixing things up a bit? On days eat you more meat, my opinion is that a person should hit the gym (which, for e.g., I was not doing). On other days, you could give your body a break - have some legumes or beans. Don't make it a religion and let your body get used to any one thing. Let the fats metabolize; give your body the opportunity to do so.

Originally posted by wehey View Post
                        Hiya all,
                        I have just had some pretty scary cholesterol results and would like some advice as my doc is trying to get me on statins.

Total 8.3 (320)
                        LDL 6.12 (236)
                        HDL 1.3 (50)
                        Hdl ratio 6.4 (247)
                        Triglycerides 2 (177)

Have been eating and training primal for 2 years now.

What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                          Yeah, the thyroid is to improve your LDL receptors (which takes the bad LDL out of circulation).

Sounds like you are getting enough carbs for thyroid. Do you supplement with Iodine at all?

Unrelated to cholesterol, I found when I added a D3 supplement my mood and energy shot up.
                          Hi there.
                          I am considering an iodine supplement but this is something I need to read up on as I am not yet familiar with the thyroid.

I will give up my lovely strong coffee too today (boo hoo) to see if this helps

I supplement with 5000 D3 a day

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                            You may also be copper deficient. Try eating oysters and BEEF liver. I'm not sure how I feel about a copper supplement, but you can look into it. I'm talking about three 4oz servings of beef liver a week every week for a month or two to get replete. Copper deficiency can cause high LDL.
                            I would go for the liver every time. I reckon that inorganic copper supplements can actually CAUSE copper deficiency because they fool the body into thinking there's enough copper around, when the copper that's around is biologically unavailable.

In one of those meta-analysis studies of vitamin supplements that I saw recently, copper supplements were the only supplements that were signficantly associated with an increase in mortality. Everything else was pretty much neutral.

Interestingly, the increase in Alzheimer's mirrors the time we've had copper water pipes, and the research suggests that copper/iron metabolism is almost certainly involved in some way.

Aren't oysters high in zinc rather than copper?

Comment

Working...
                            X