Fasting on Jell-O??!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasting on Jell-O??!!

Well, technically it is not a pure fast since it have a few calories, but the last week I have experimented by eating a large bowl of blackberry low calorie Jell-O for my daily fasting period in the morning and early afternoon, and that even take away my sense of hunger when its finally time for breaking my fast at 2.30 PM! Yeah, I am still drinking Coke Zero, black coffee and tea as well. So, intermittent fasting using Jell-O could be an option if you want to replace the bullet-proof coffee or whatever else you are using when “fasting”! Maybe instead of “fasting” we could as Ori Hofmekler more accurately talk about a period of “under-eating”, so those days I am eating Jell-O in the under eating period of the day.

My daily Jell-O fasting/under-eating regimen contains 25 gram of pure gelatin, 9 gram of sugar (=2tsp), Aspartame and artificial flavors. So totally my large bowl of tasty Jell-O contains less than 150 calories and 0 gram fat!

So whenever I feel for it in the morning or early afternoon, I eat some delicious ruby red blackberry Jell-O and drink a large glass of Coke Zero or black coffee and that chases all the hunger demons back to the hot place where they came from!

So any thoughts or experience from the distinguished forum members by the use of low calorie Jell-O in the under eating period of intermittent fasting or warrior dieting?
    Last edited by Gorbag; 10-14-2013, 08:31 AM.
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
    Well, technically it is not a pure fast since it have a few calories.

Maybe instead of “fasting” we could as Ori Hofmekler more accurately talk about a period of “under-eating”, so those days I am eating Jell-O in the under eating period of the day.

So any thoughts or experience from the distinguished forum members by the use of low calorie Jell-O in the under eating period of intermittent fasting or warrior dieting?
    bravo to that idea. it's not a fast if you take in calories. period. call it under-eating.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all to under eat with some jello. although personally, i'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners. to each their own. i'd consider doing it with regular jello though

Comment

You should call your period of under eating "chemical shitstorm"

Comment

Blackberry Jell-O sounds really good. Could make it easily with just juice + gelatin. Not fasting but so what? It's under-eating, as you said. Sounds fine to me. Whatever works. Could up the gelatin and make it gummy chews, which is even more satisfying.
        | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

When I did JUDDD, I ate jello on down days. I'd make my own with gelatin, tea, and stevia. <3

Sure beats bulletproof coffee, which contains way more calories!

My journal

Comment

I experimented with the Warrior routine when I started with IF years ago. I found that it was inconvenient and sometimes difficult to get the nutrition that I need daily in one large meal. Two meals in a window like the Lean Gains approach, on the other hand, works out great for me. In either case though when you get used to one or two meals it should become a normal and effortless part of your day. If you're needing diet jello and diet cola to get through your day as a crutch then probably IF isn't your thing right now. I think you'd be better off with three daily meals that contain actual ingredients that are food.
            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
              If you're needing diet jello and diet cola to get through your day as a crutch then probably IF isn't your thing right now. I think you'd be better off with three daily meals that contain actual ingredients that are food.
              That's what I am doing, first meal at 2.30 pm, main meal after training at 6 and a more modest meal at 9.30 - and low calorie jellO in the undereating period before my first real meal. So, it is not IF and it is not warrior dieting either then...
              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                Blackberry Jell-O sounds really good. Could make it easily with just juice + gelatin.
                I was about to suggest 9g sugar in the form of frozen blackberries sounds a lot tastier.

The jello is probably harmless but IMO hunger signals are something to examine, not just beat down. Fasting is great when it's effortless. When it's not we want to identify the missing nutrient ASAP.
                37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by moluv View Post
                  You should call your period of under eating "chemical shitstorm"
                  I am a die hard fan of diet coke and so called artificial sweeteners, they have never done me any harm after decades of use, so I am gambling that they may be healthy or in worst case harmless...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                    I was about to suggest 9g sugar in the form of frozen blackberries sounds a lot tastier.

The jello is probably harmless but IMO hunger signals are something to examine, not just beat down. Fasting is great when it's effortless. When it's not we want to identify the missing nutrient ASAP.
                    Hungersignals are not uncommon if in a calorie deficit and relative low on bodyfat picklepete, your body will fight back because it loves you and want to keep the fat...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                      I am a die hard fan of diet coke and so called artificial sweeteners, they have never done me any harm after decades of use, so I am gambling that they may be healthy or in worst case harmless...
                      You know I don't care what you eat I was just being humorous. Maybe you should call your pseudo fast the EYE of the chemical shitstorm...

Comment

Originally posted by moluv View Post
                        You know I don't care what you eat I was just being humorous. Maybe you should call your pseudo fast the EYE of the chemical shitstorm...
                        Hehe, why not?

I have used gelatin as a supplement long before I heard about Ray Peat because I noticed effect from taking it on my joints when training! And taking it when undereating seems promising so far, drinking black colombian coffee and jello is also a very tasty combination that provides some flow of amino-acids in the catabolic undereating period of the day, so I will test it out and stick to it if it works...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I can honestly say that is an awesome idea, and never really occurred to me.

Right now my long-fasts are not technically fasts, as they are not ZERO calorie.....but I think that point is academic. The idea of a fast, in my book, is to let glucagon rule the roost for awhile and keep insulin tucked in its corner, ready to dominate again when food arrives.

My current "fasting juice" is Knox Gelatin (used this since I was a kid. My parents gave it to me every morning instead of OJ, and I actually thought that was normal), BCAA, salt, and lemon juice. The Jello is a great substitute. Good idea.
                          "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Heh, I am eating breakfast again these days, after years of skipping it, except that the breakfast is Jello with very little energy or calories! Martin Berkham if I remember correctly put 50 calories as a limit of the state of "fasting" to include some milk in his coffee, and my Jello breakfast may be around that level! I have made some changes, due to the recommendations from J3nn, so I am now using 40 gram of gelatin powder to make my daily ration of jello. That gives 160 calories and 40 gram of protein. In addition comes the 9 gram of sugar, artificial sweeteners, less than 50 calories, totally 190 calories for the large bowl of delicious Jello!

For lunch, I eat my usual 60 gram of white low fat fresh cheese together with the jello, and one spoonful of dried coconut flakes sprinkled over it at 2.30 PM. The white cheese contains 90 calories and 16 gram of protein, 3 gram fat, and the coconut flakes gives around 15 calories mostly from fat.

So, that’s everything that I will eat before dinner at 6 PM and I did not sense any hunger yesterday. Totally 300 calories in the under-eating period before 6 PM or 10% of an estimated daily diet of 3000 calories, that leaves 2000 calories for dinner and 700 kcal for supper…

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I dig it. Micro meals or juices until dinner.
                              | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Working...
                              X