Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not enough carbs?

Hi there
    I have just started eating PB, and woke up during the night quite a few times and this morning feeling extremely hungry. Was hoping I could get some advice. I'm just not sure where to get carbs from - I only managed to eat 38g yesterday which I figure is the reason for the hunger.
    I had some tomatoes, mushrooms and peppers with my morning eggs, and then some broccoli, kale and parsnip for dinner with meat. I had plenty of fat, via nuts and a boiled egg as snacks.
    Any ideas? Should I throw in some potato or other root veg?

Hi Joanneh and welcome. You seem to have made a good start with primal principles but I wonder if your extreme hunger may be related as much to lack of food in general (ie very low calories) as to low carbs. In my experience carbs tend to stimulate hunger while protein satisifies it.

However, there are still lots of primal carbs you can choose. Yes, these include starchy veges such as pumpkin, kumara, carrots, onions, potatoes.

Also fruit of all sorts, bananas, apples, pears, grapes. Even dried fruit but they are very very sweet and tend to create cravings for me.

There are even some carbs in dairy and in nuts.

Good luck as you keep on keeping on with finding out what works for you
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

How much are you eating? Hunger on starting primal can have a number of causes:

* initial carb flu - you need to take time to adjust, basically just pushing through the hunger
      * eating too little - you need to increase protein and fat to counter the drop in carbs
      * eating too little protein - you need 0.7 to 1.0g of protein per pound of lean body mass
      * missing micronutrients - usually solved by eating a wide variety of nutrient dense foods, rather than having fat bombs (doesn't seem to be your problem

My standard approach for newbies is to eat three meals a day, of a mixed variety of whole foods, making sure you get enough protein. No snacking. No nuts until you are adjusted to this WOE. Use tubers and white rice and some fruit if you're struggling with very low carb, which isn't necessary
      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

When it comes to biology, there are literally billions of things that could be happening to you. Just keep that in mind as people give you advice, mmk? It could be any number of things.

When I adapted to PB, it really took a toll on my body. I'd go so far as to say I had depression for 4 or 5 days. I don't know what your case is, but it wouldn't surprise me if a sudden change in food habits is going to mess with your metabolism. If you've been high carb for a long time and then drop down to 38g in a day, your body will be screaming for a sugar hit.

Comment

Hi guys

I really appreciate the replies. I think it is probably a mix of all the suggestions above. I only had two meals yesterday, should have had three, and possibly some more starchy carb with my dinner. I'll play around with amounts over the next few days and see how it goes.

This morning I've had eggs and bacon and tomato and was really hungry again a short time later so I had a banana....feeling hungry again now an hour and a half later! Probably still need to replace for yesterdays shortage. Lunch will be something filling.
          I'd normally be used of granola or toast for breakfast, a salad with wholegrain carbs for lunch and dinner with a small amount of carbs....so its an adjustment my body is probably a little shocked with.

Comment

Hello,
            Increase the amount of meat (from ruminants, fatty cuts) and eggs, add calf liver, and say raw sheep milk cheese (like queso manchego) instead of too much nuts. If you like them, add oven baked potatoes. These foods will satiate you much more.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion - just made some egg muffin things with feta cheese and they were totally delicious and I feel quite satisfied after it.

Comment

One thing though - are potatoes not considered 'bad' carbs in the PB approach?

Comment

Joanneh, I am not sure what bad carbs are but potatoes are definitely good foods
                  If you think about refined sugar, sweeteners, additives, etc, then I would say it is the whole industrially processed / packaged foods that you should minimize, and cook from scratch with raw and real ingredients as much as you can. Potatoes do belong to a decent kitchen in my opinion (see my forum name as I said a while back, I don't do deep-fried stuff, I don't believe in that sort of cooking, but oven-baked french fries ... mmmm).

Comment

Everything Frenchfry said above is true. Plus...he can hook you up with some amazing potato recipes.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Potatoes got a bad rap because most of them end up in refined oil, conventional US Russetts are pretty high on the pesticide charts, and finally (pre)diabetics need to exercise caution with blood glucose. But all that said, a gently boiled or baked potato is a fine nourishing food.
                      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Ok fair enough - I was previously doing Patrick Holford's low GL diet and regular potatoes were not supposed to be good at all but you could eat baby potatoes...but then my friend who is strict paleo won't eat them at all! She is trying to lose weight so maybe that is why?

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
                          Joanneh, I am not sure what bad carbs are but potatoes are definitely good foods
                          If you think about refined sugar, sweeteners, additives, etc, then I would say it is the whole industrially processed / packaged foods that you should minimize, and cook from scratch with raw and real ingredients as much as you can. Potatoes do belong to a decent kitchen in my opinion (see my forum name as I said a while back, I don't do deep-fried stuff, I don't believe in that sort of cooking, but oven-baked french fries ... mmmm).
                          viva la frite!

Comment

It's interesting how different things affect different people. When I find myself eating "too much" (just my definition of too much), I go VLC to curb my appetite.

That said, a 10 oz white potato, which is huge, has about 220 calories, about 50 grams of carbs, and about 5.5 grams of protein. Eat and love it - with the caveat that if you can't find organic, you might want to peal them before eating.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Hey guys just checking back in, to say thanks for the advice and to update you (if you are interested!! ).

So its been 5 days now and those initial extreme hunger pangs have gone - might have just been sugar/ what withdrawal .

I seem to be getting enough carbs I think via vegetables with my lunch and dinner, sticking mainly with eggs for breakfast, and I am also having a kiwi mid morning, and a few nuts late afternoon. Its keeping me going but I think I will start trying little tins of sardines instead of nuts as I have been ravenous by 6pm so far this week. Also thinking olives maybe as a good high fat snack - had half an avocado yesterday but that's not practical every day.
                              Anyway currently my concern is fats, whether I am getting enough - I am trying to work it into my meals a bit more.

Comment

Working...
                              X