No announcement yet.

Having a Hard Time Eating Enough Protein

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eating animal is the best way to build a favourable lipid profile. I'd concentrate on that and forget the almond milk and liquid protein

Sent from mobile
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Don't get wound up in all the numbers (60g is plenty), just eat real food, get some bouts of exercise, lots of slow movement, reduce stress behaviours (like worrying too much about lean body mass), get good sleep, have fun and let your body become accustomed to the changes.
      Down the track you will find out it really isn't all that complicated, just allow yourself to adapt over time.
      "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Originally posted by sra1984 View Post
        Which protein powders are considered the best options? They confuse the heck out of me no matter how many blog posts I've read about it that Mark writes.
        There's isn't that much to say really. You want to get the cheapest whey protein that is above 70% protein, below that is crap. Unflavoured has the least ingredients, so it might be healthier (flavoured has lots of artificial ingredients and such). Whey protein is more or less the same so don't sweat it too much. Gold standard whey is fine (but expensive). Grass fed makes essentially no difference, but you may want to support better farming practices.
        http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

I can't do beef because I have been instructed not to by my doctor until my good cholesterol levels perk up- they are pretty abysmally low.
          Get a doctor who knows what he's talking about. Eat the damn beef.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, eggs/egg whites, whey.

Comment

Which protein powders are considered the best options? They confuse the heck out of me no matter how many blog posts I've read about it that Mark writes.
              Oh, and check out Jay Robb whey protein. Good quality, tastes good and no artificial sweeteners.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
                17 lb, that's not bad. Keep at it! And you'll get a pullup sometime. It'll be easier as you lose weight and get stronger.

Here are some whey protein brands. I've been using the first for a while. It tastes ok in water, and its ingredients are better than most powders out there, but it still isn't exactly primal, so I'm transitioning away from it. I just bought a bag of the second but haven't used it yet. It's pretty much all whey, and I'm not sure how it tastes. Protein powders don't beat real food for quality, but they definitely are cheap and convenient.

Amazon.com: Optimum Nutrition - 100% Whey Gold Chocolate, 5 lb powder: Health & Personal Care
                100% Pure Whey Protein Isolate - Natural from NOW on sale. Find information about NOW

Try to get as much of your protein as possible from stuff like meat, eggs, and fish, and any dairy that you can handle, though. Best of luck!
                Thanks! I appreciate the advice being so new to this and all. I have been able to kick up the protein/good fat content of my food by concentrating on making that the centerpiece to all my meals and mostly just supplementing with fruits and vegetables (I've managed to cut those down to the point where I really don't eat more than 60 or 70 grams a day, something I thought I would never be able to do). I actually managed to gain some lean body mass this week (down the same amount of body fat) so maybe I was worried about nothing.

I have discovered that eggs are really my best bet- in the morning with turkey bacon or turkey sausage usually and then hard boiled for snacks if I need it (usually I don't). Eating the yolks seems to help- I guess because of the fat content. I'll do almonds sometimes too. I still want the protein powder just in case (as I am a planner and I will worry about it if I don't have it, which equals more stress which I am trying to avoid), plus it will be nice to not have to spend a half hour to make breakfast EVERY morning. I just don't always have that kind of time.

I have also settled into a natural (sort of) IF schedule, where I eat 10 am to 7 pm and just ignore food the rest of the time. It just happened. Weird for me, but probably good- I used to be a chronic late night eater. I did my first sprinting session today on the bike- will do my first set of pull-ups (first step, of course- bench will be neccessary), etc on Saturday and shall see what happens Thanks again to everybody for their input! I really appreciate it, being the only one I know following this way of living.
                Stephanie
                "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  Get a doctor who knows what he's talking about. Eat the damn beef.
                  Well said, his Doc definitely sounds like he hasn't got a clue !

Regarding the protein........Protein drinks, eggs,eggs and more eggs, fish ( I used to blend tinned tuna in water and drink the stuff ), fresh sausage, bacon..........man I never have an issue eating enough protein.

And that's without the beef !

Comment

Doctor sounds smart except for the random "don't eat beef" part.

Eat a steak or salmon cooked in grass fed butter for the HDL. Keep on your plan of no grains/sugar for the low TRI.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
                      Well said, his Doc definitely sounds like he hasn't got a clue !

Regarding the protein........Protein drinks, eggs,eggs and more eggs, fish ( I used to blend tinned tuna in water and drink the stuff ), fresh sausage, bacon..........man I never have an issue eating enough protein.

And that's without the beef !
                      Actually, I'm a girl, guys- thanks a lot. Not that it makes a huge difference, but I thought I would add that little detail And the no beef part is for the next three months, not forever. It's just hard to get in as much protein as I have been told I need without it. I appreciate all of your suggestions nonetheless.
                      Stephanie
                      "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                      X