Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone eat opposite of primal...high carb low fat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    What about genetics? I would think they would play some role for Philipine women. I can't imagine even being 110lbs. I have a large frame for my height. I would be happy at 115lbs. These Phillipine women must exercise a lot or have good genetics like I said before.
    Yeah I'm in the Philippines right now, bored waiting for my flight.

Like all of Asia women are clustered in the 95-120lb range. Philippines is slightly chubbier than NE Asia (Japan/Korea). I don't believe in genetics, it's just time; their grandparents, and their parents, and they did not eat big mac meals w/ a super size coke. In a few generations they will probably be "big boned" like Americans.

They don't "work out", nobody in the Philippines can afford a gym membership.

Comment

SE Asian women tend to have small body frames and thus weigh less. 95-100 lbs on a 5'3 woman is normal over there.

Milk supply shouldn't dry up if the newborn baby suckles all the time... My daughter used to nurse every 1-2 hours for months. That made me product a lot of milk. I ate lowish carb back then but very high calorie, far more than I ever ate during pregnancy. Hunger was a bottomless pit back then.

Also, having a c-section makes breastfeeding harder because of the separation of mother and baby immediately after birth, and the baby being slightly drugged from the anesthesia... please don't be so hard on yourself, at least baby was born healthy!!

Comment

Originally posted by girlhk View Post
        SE Asian women tend to have small body frames and thus weigh less. 95-100 lbs on a 5'3 woman is normal over there.
        This completely. Everyone freaks out online when I say I'm 5'4 and 100, but I'm Vietnamese with a very slender, small bones frame. I don't look bony until I'm sub-90. If you are Caucasian, 100 is just not feasible unless you want to look emaciated. I'm making a generalization but that's the way things have been from my observations.
        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by Goldensparrow View Post
          What about genetics? I would think they would play some role for Philipine women. I can't imagine even being 110lbs. I have a large frame for my height. I would be happy at 115lbs. These Phillipine women must exercise a lot or have good genetics like I said before.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
          I had an old girlfriend who was about your height, maybe an inch taller, and she looked best at about 115 lbs. When she dropped down to 110, she looked flat and too skinny.

For filipina women, genetics only play the role that makes them so short in which you'd naturally expect a low weight. Most of them are much shorter than you, so I'm not trying to compare you directly to them per se. That would be pointless since a lot of them are shorter.

Other than that, genetics have nothing to do with it. They eat mostly fish and rice, not cup cakes and candy bars. They can't afford to eat enough to get fat like people in the USA can and do. There is nothing genetic about the fact that 66% of americans are overweight and 33% are obese. It's because they eat too much, and they eat to much because they can.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
            Yeah I'm in the Philippines right now, bored waiting for my flight.

Like all of Asia women are clustered in the 95-120lb range. Philippines is slightly chubbier than NE Asia (Japan/Korea). I don't believe in genetics, it's just time; their grandparents, and their parents, and they did not eat big mac meals w/ a super size coke. In a few generations they will probably be "big boned" like Americans.

They don't "work out", nobody in the Philippines can afford a gym membership.
            Just quoting that you dont believe in genetics.

Comment

Anyone eat opposite of primal...high carb low fat?

Uh. I am big boned, not fat... Or at least I doubt it at pant size 4-6 and 5'9" anyway.

Genetics is a big part of it. My father has huge calves and broad shoulders/chest he never had to work a day in his life for. I have defined calves and naturally broad shoulders. Trainers and etc ask me how I got my calves and honestly I rarely work on them. I work on my butt/upper body, but calves are just there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
              ------
              HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                Uh. I am big boned, not fat... Or at least I doubt it at pant size 4-6 and 5'9" anyway.

Genetics is a big part of it. My father has huge calves and broad shoulders/chest he never had to work a day in his life for. I have defined calves and naturally broad shoulders. Trainers and etc ask me how I got my calves and honestly I rarely work on them. I work on my butt/upper body, but calves are just there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                Would it be genetics if your BMI was 35? Ok, I'm being smart, but just making a point. Genetics clearly matter, to an extent. And I think if you're honest with yourself you'll know the answer. Personally, I used to be 220 lbs, thought I was chubby and that there wasn't anything I could do about it, when in reality I was obese and probably should have been at least 50 lbs lighter had I been active and eating right.

I know those are extreme examples I gave. But I can clearly see your point too. They both make sense depending on the context.

Comment

Re: Anyone eat opposite of primal...high carb low fat?

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                  Uh. I am big boned, not fat...
                  There's big boned and then there's "big boned" and you most certainly aren't the latter

Not that I agree with his other statements but I think kimchi was referring to those particular people who are clearly overweight, if not obese and claim that they are "big boned".
                  Last edited by Misabi; 10-12-2013, 08:35 PM.
                  If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by Ripped View Post
                    I had an old girlfriend who was about your height, maybe an inch taller, and she looked best at about 115 lbs. When she dropped down to 110, she looked flat and too skinny.

For filipina women, genetics only play the role that makes them so short in which you'd naturally expect a low weight. Most of them are much shorter than you, so I'm not trying to compare you directly to them per se. That would be pointless since a lot of them are shorter.

Other than that, genetics have nothing to do with it. They eat mostly fish and rice, not cup cakes and candy bars. They can't afford to eat enough to get fat like people in the USA can and do. There is nothing genetic about the fact that 66% of americans are overweight and 33% are obese. It's because they eat too much, and they eat to much because they can.
                    This is complete nonsense. Frame size makes a HUGE difference. Lean body mass can vary greatly, even for women who are all the same height. There are several ways you can measure it at home to get an estimate - - I recall having to measure my wrist, maybe neck, etc. Personally I'm normally 140 lbs at 5'9" and I would still look fine and normal at 130. I don't think I'd even reach "too skinny" until I went below 120 lbs. I just happen to have a very small frame - - tiny hands and feet for my height, and itty bitty wrists. I've seen women my same height who looked borderline skeletal and been very surprised to hear that they weighed almost as much as I do. Obviously that's not a difference of muscle built up from exercise.

Eating low carb does not work for everyone. I got terrible insomnia from trying to do it and didn't lose a pound, even though I tried calorie intakes all the way from 1300 to 2000. I stuck it out for months on end, until I felt like the walking dead. It's not healthy to be so exhausted you're sick and have lost all interest in life. I didn't even have the energy to walk a mile anymore, so I call BS on anyone who claims that any bad side effects of eating low carb will be cancelled out by additional exercise. Based on reading a lot of personal experiences here on MDA, I think low carb works better for men than for women. And I definitely don't think it's ideal for a lot of pregnant women. I happen to be 23 weeks pregnant and have noticed that my body seems to need more carbs now than before in order to feel good. In fact my body forced me to go this route when even the thought of any type of meat/eggs made me nauseated for the first 3 months ... pretty much all I could eat was fruit and dairy. And I haven't gained a crazy amount of weight - - 10 lbs at 23 weeks is perfectly normal and ok. I'm also sleeping better than I have in years and generally have a very good amount of energy, although I do wake up EVERY night having to pee (the worst symptom I have right now, so I really can't complain).

Last but not least, not every woman loses weight while breastfeeding. There are many who report that their bodies held onto ~15 lbs extra which only went away after they stopped. Usually they say it's on the upper body, like their arms/back. Maybe it's the body's insurance policy to keep the milk flowing even if food supply dropped for a couple of weeks. Who knows. Guess I will find out in 4 months!

Comment

My wife is currently 8 months pregnant and eating whatever the hell she wants.

Lately, her food cravings include cheerios with whole milk, and freshly made sandwiches with rye bread.

While your food choices may vary, JUST EAT! You will find yourself hungrier at some times than others...baby is growing!

Keep your protein moderate, and carbs and fat high. You'll be just fine
                      Last edited by patski; 10-15-2013, 11:42 AM.
                      A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Like others have said, high carb/low fat isn't really not primal. Primal is about what foods you eat, not macros. Anyway I was low carb and keto for a while. I'm in Singapore and I'm on high carb now, simply because of the environment. My macros are something like 60% carbs, 25% fat, 15% protein I reckon. I feel the same way I always have which is great.
                        http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

High Carb / Low Fat isn't primal but it could be done right persay. If the person stayed away from gluten, oats, and most beans and only used sweet potatoes, organic corn, organic potatoes, fruit, taro, tapioca, and rice it could be done. They would only take in about 300 grams of carbs daily to do it right. And their fat has to be from good sources like coconut oil, avocados, and extra virgin olive oil. They would have to eat organic chicken, pastured eggs, lean grass feed steak, and fish to stay healthy. It could be done, but it isn't ideal.
                          My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
                          Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Comment

I was doing low carb high fat to restore fertility (lactational amenorrhea for the past 28 months). Nothing happened but I started getting concerned because my hair was growing very, very slowly.

Reversed the macro ratios and started high carb low fat and minimal PUFA a few months ago, and what do you know-- I got my first postpartum period! My kid still nurses around the clock, so I didn't have to wean to resume fertility.

So that worked for me, fertility-wise. I haven't gained any weight.

eta: I had PCOS before conceiving my daughter, and was put on metformin, so assumed carbs was the problem, and that's why I went low carb.
                            Last edited by girlhk; 10-16-2013, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X