Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about grain fed meat

Hey,

I've seen people recommend eating the leanest cuts when it comes to grain-fed meat.
    What are the reasons for that suggestion?

Toxins are stored in the fat.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      Toxins are stored in the fat.
      Yeah, but ribeye tastes better so bring on the toxins.

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
        Yeah, but ribeye tastes better so bring on the toxins.
        but grass-fed ribeye. [/thread]
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

but grass-fed ribeye. [/thread]
          but I like having enough money to pay rent. [/bringing this thread back]

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
            but I like having enough money to pay rent. [/bringing this thread back]
            Better to pay the grocer than the landlord. Oh wait, that's supposed to be doctor. Never mind, you win.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

And cows that are grain fed always have more toxins in their fat?

Comment

Is it toxins, or a less favorable fat/nutritional profile?

Comment

Higher O6 quantity.

M.

Comment

CAFO cows are fed GMO grains (not enough time elapsed to know what that will cause), growth hormones (girls menstruate about two years earlier than 50 years ago), and subtherapeutic antibiotics (here a superbug, there a superbug). IOW, the meat growers know the growth hormones often cause illness, so they give cattle antibiotics through most of their lives to keep that at bay.

That is pretty much what is concentrated in the fat of CAFO beef.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by Drlove View Post
                      And cows that are grain fed always have more toxins in their fat?
                      Originally posted by quikky View Post
                      Probably more accurate to replace "grain fed" with "dubious/CAFO" beef. Growth hormones and antibiotics will accumulate in the fat.

IMO ruminants never have enough polyunsaturate to fret over the omega ratio. Pastured animals eat plenty of grass seeds in the late summer so grain isn't the worst thing that can happen to them. Grass-finishing is lovely but it can be a major financial hit to an otherwise legit cattle rancher so I don't draw a red line on it.
                      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Good point.
                        Pretty sure it's both, actually.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Good point.
                          Pretty sure it's both, actually.
                          I know the fat/nutrition part of it, but not much about the toxins. What I wonder is, say someone has grass-fed cows, does this mean they are toxin free? Similarly, if someone is raising cows and grain-feeding, if the feed is organic and non-GMO, is that still worse?

Comment

I know the fat/nutrition part of it, but not much about the toxins. What I wonder is, say someone has grass-fed cows, does this mean they are toxin free? Similarly, if someone is raising cows and grain-feeding, if the feed is organic and non-GMO, is that still worse?
                            I think it has to do with grass not requiring the outside fertilizers that corn and wheat do, but I'm not an expert on the subject.

I'd certainly have to assume that organic grain-fed beef is less toxic than regular grain fed. I can't really say for sure how it would compare to grass-fed toxin-wise, but still worse off fat-profile-wise.

I bet Mark has a post that goes through all this somewhere.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Also..unhappy tortured cows kept in feed lots and taken to slaughter in an inhumane way, are FULL of stress hormones which is stored in their fat. Grass fed and pastured cattle who are slaughtered humanely (quickly on their own property out of sight of the other cattle) have much lower stress. Knowing your farmer is best, but I know that isn't always possible.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                              X