How many cans of sardines to eat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many cans of sardines to eat?

So I have recently discovered the wonderful world of Sardines. I'm not sure why I was always scared of these, but I popped a tin of Trader Joes Sardines in water tonight and I was eating them right out of the can and loved them. Not sure what I was thinking before. No more Fish Oil for me.

I'm just wondering how much is too much for sardines. Is it safe to eat say half a tin everyday with my lunch. I was thinking half a tin of sardines, half an avocado, some greens and maybe a sweet potato? Yum!

How many sardines does everyone eat? Do they have too much of anything that I need to be concerned about?

I try to eat sardines or mackerel every day. I think they are ok for mercury, as they are small fish. It's the big fish like tuna and swordfish that accumulate a lot of mercury. I'm not having any more kids, so I don't pay close attention to this stuff.
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jennifla View Post
      I try to eat sardines or mackerel every day. I think they are ok for mercury, as they are small fish. It's the big fish like tuna and swordfish that accumulate a lot of mercury. I'm not having any more kids, so I don't pay close attention to this stuff.
      So are you eating a can a day or less than that??

Also, my wife is pregnant right now. I'm wondering if we should be concerned with that.

Comment

I do 2-3/week but rotate with herring, Pacific saury, smoked trout or eel, etc.
        If the metal toxicity were a problem I assume we'd see more real world diagnoses so I don't sweat it myself. Prenatal deficiencies are much more common so I'd err on the side of "eat everything". A lot of nonindustrial cultures hunted down seafood specifically for pregnant women.
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

How many do you have? Eat as many as you want. Go for BPA free cans if you can.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Ha! I eat 2 cans for a meal!

Comment

I try to eat 2 tins a week. EVO is better than water in terms preventing oxidation of the fish oil.
              My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Comment

I wouldn't worry about pregnancy - watch the tuna definiely but sardines & mackerel are much less of an issue.

As for you eat as much as you want. Ime if you have a bit of a food crush then I think if you just go with the infatuation for a bit it soon settles down. Your body is clever like that.

Mix it up with some mackerel for variety.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthBeachPrimal View Post
                  I try to eat 2 tins a week. EVO is better than water in terms preventing oxidation of the fish oil.
                  Agree with that, go with the cans with olive oil, which you can dump if you want.

Comment

I don't think your wife has much to be concerned about if she eats sardines. She'll want to stay away from the larger fishes, like tuna, because the longer they live and get big, the more heavy metals their bodies absorb, and farmed fishes have lots of contaminants as well.

Smaller fishes like anchovies, sardines, etc should be fine for both of you.
                    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I would eat the entire can in one go. But I would also eat other stuff, like pickled herring, salmon, barramundi... whatever floats your boat. Mmm, sardines. I'd say I eat a can or two a week.
                      Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Thanks everyone. Had 1/2 can last night and 1/2 this morning with breakfast. My 2 year old had some too mixed with avocado on the side with his eggs. Wife is not feeling well and everything is making her feel sick so she is going to hold off until she can stomach the sardines! HA!!!

Anyone know if the Trader Joes cans are BPA free? Also, the only reason I got the ones in water is I am more concerned about the olive oil used than the water used.

Comment

As many as you want!

I love me some fishermans eggs. Google it for some good stuff.

Comment

x2 on water! I can't trust the words "olive oil" anymore. I automatically assume it's made of soybean oil or corn oil.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I have 2 can of sardines in olive oil with 4 hard boiled eggs and a half cup hot salsa for breakfast maybe 3x a week. it is extra nummy.
                              Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

Working...
                              X