Inflammatory Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inflammatory Questions

What actually causes systemic inflammation? Are there various causes?

My natural path believes I have this, and my symptoms seem to agree with her - dry hair and skin, constipation, joint pain that gets worse with my cycle, and the usually mild symptoms of my chronic condition have gotten worse.

The thing is, I've been tracking my diet online and my omega six omega-3 ratio is 1:1 before I even take fish oil. I've been Paleo since March, and I could understand having this problem before changing my diet, but why would it be getting worse now?

Are there other factors to consider?

Do you have an autoimmune disorder? There may be more dietary factors to take into consideration, like elimination nightshades, eggs, or nuts. There are other foods too, but you may need to undertake an elimination diet to find out what ones are problematic.
    Depression Lies

Comment

When I saw the thread title ("Inflammatory Questions") I thought this was going to be another Peat thread

Comment

Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
        When I saw the thread title ("Inflammatory Questions") I thought this was going to be another Peat thread
        I guessed Obamacare.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

How muh total PUFA do you get in a day?

Comment

Have you had a complete blood panel, including thyroid and sex hormones?
            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I have a very mild form of interstitial cystitis. It's sort of like irritable syndrome, but for the bladder. Certain foods trigger a reaction, everyone's a little different with what triggers them. It's not progressive and I've had it for 20 years. Normally caffeine is my only trigger, but now other foods are starting to bother me. I guess it's probably an autoimmune thing. Some people lose symptoms when they're sick, or pregnant. My symptoms disappeared when I was pregnant.

I'm currently doing an elimination diet, as mentioned, but since none of these foods bothered me before becoming primal/paleo, I don't understand why they would now.

I haven't had any blood work done yet.

I don't know my total PUFA amount, but I cook with coconut oil and avocado oil. I use olive oil for salads etc. I don't consume vegetable oils at all unless at a restaurant, which happens maybe once every three months. I occasionally have nuts, seeds and nut butter, but it's no more than 1/2C at a time, maybe a few times a week at most. I bake with almond flour occasionally, but again it's not a daily consumption. I often adjust the levels with arrowroot, so I'm not so reliant on it.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixjen View Post
                Are there other factors to consider?
                Leaky gut and too much stress are two that spring to mind.
                Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Leaky gut, bacterial overgrowth, excessive pufa, iron, muscle meat, fiber consumption, allergies to certain foods, suppressed thyroid. To name a few.

Comment

Hmmm could be on to something with the too much stress. I don't know what a suppressed thyroid would look like, what other symptoms or causes of that might be etc.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixjen View Post
                      Hmmm could be on to something with the too much stress. I don't know what a suppressed thyroid would look like, what other symptoms or causes of that might be etc.
                      Suppressed thyroid can affect depression, circulation (cold hands), and increase LDL cholesterol.
                      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I had ongoing inflammatory issues that stemmed from dietary issues (gluten) and led to leaky gut, which led to IBS, hypothyroidism, adrenal fatigue and oestrogen dominance. I couldn't heal it with diet alone, even though that was the cause - I tried it for over 2 years! It's taken help from a holistic doctor, mega-supplementation to support liver, kidneys and gut to detox, and I'm now starting to come right. The dr said that the diet was great, but I was too far gone to heal from diet alone. You might be in a similar situation??
                        Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

Dry hair and skin and constipation can be symptoms of low thyroid (hypothyroid).

Like Jac I have hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue, my doc said the same thing, my diet is great but I'm too far gone to resolve my issues with diet alone.
                          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Refined sugars are inflammatory. Wheat, caffeine, night shades, nuts, dairy, bad oils, HFCS, the list goes on and on. You may be interested in looking into the blood type diet. That may help you out. Also if you've only been paleo for a few months then yes your symptoms are going to get worse. Your body is just now trying to figure out how to clean itself out so you may have a few symptoms that come up by they will subside. Stay the course.

You could start taking a very good quality whey and glutamine. Glutamine helps seal a leaky gut which will also help with the healing process.

Comment

Sometimes when you start a paleo diet, you increase consumption of some food types without even noticing it, since you are just using them to replace the old food.

I would suspect that something you are now eating more of could be an issue. I would try a month of no eggs, dairy, nightshades, coffee, and nightshades. I had problems with paleo in the beginning because I am sensitive to dietary lectins (which are high in all those groups).

How is your vitamin D3 level? If that drops inflammation can get high?

Do you have a decent source of iodine in your diet? I think I remember reading that getting too little iodine can aggravate cystitis (that doesn't mean you need massive doses as some people say, just a decent dietary source).
                              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                              X