Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What supplements do you take? (multivitimins/protein powder/fish oil ect...)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orand Triad Multi-vitamin, 6000mg of Oximega fish oil, Green Tea caps (got to drink more), Cayenne caps, CLA, and 7-Keto.
    "Live Free or Die"

Comment

Originally posted by leonardotmnt View Post
      When you guys talk about the fish oil you're taking are you referring to the amount of DHA and EPA or what the bottle says is "fish oil"? What exactly is the rest after the EPA and DHA? Is it beneficial at all or pretty much just a filler with only DHA/EPA amounts mattering? I've always been confused by that.
      fish oil is the oil from the fish - EPA and DHA are two of the components of the oil, there is also some Ω6 in there, some cholesterol but the ones we're most interested in are DHA/EPA. In wild plants, animals/fish, DHA is the dominant essential fatty acid and because of that, it seems prudent to stick with those ratios when supplementing.

I'm in the process of compiling this document - the first part of it lists DHA:EPA and is credited to Chris Masterjohn. The second half simply lists options for fish oil and clo that contains DHA either equal to or in amounts greater than EPA:
      http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...tta2djag&hl=en

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by dsantana View Post
        I am working on getting off HBP meds so I am trying a combo of omega 3, co q-10, garlic oil and folic acid.
        25(OH)D levels are major players in blood pressure regulation as are magnesium and potassium. Potassium needs are at least 3500 mg daily - and primally speaking - a lot a alot more. Mg needs are also often not met through diet alone.

Krispin Sullivan's site has some good K:Mg info I have some too. Will post when I'm more awake tomorrow.
        http://www.krispin.com/

K

Comment

I would definitely like to hear more. I have increased my potassium and magnesium. I know that trying to increase my hearth health after years of damage will take time and work.

Comment

http://www.krispin.com/potassm.html/
            http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html

D information I've compiled from a variety of peer reviewed journal articles, coversations with Krispin, The Vitamin D Council's website:
            http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...A0d3BjMw&hl=en

Potassium information - including ratio info:
            http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...drZnFmNw&hl=en

Please test your D asap so that you can replete accordingly. It takes about 100 IU (2.5 mcg) to raise 25(OH)D levels 1 ng/mL (2.5 nmol/L)

K
            Last edited by cillakat; 05-16-2010, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Since I last responded, I also started taking 4,000 IU of Vitamin D per day (on days that I spend time mid-day outside, I'll take a bit less).
              "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Katherine, can you recommend a place to get blood testing done to figure out if your D is low. I am assuming mine is low only because I live in a northern climate and work from home.
                SW: 235
                CW:220
                Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
                Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
                Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
                Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

see the vitamin D link in my sig...it has all of the options for D testing that are reliable and available

Best,
                  K

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                    see the vitamin D link in my sig...it has all of the options for D testing that are reliable and available

Best,
                    K
                    So I checked the links in your sig and I have two questions.

Firstly, to quote: " 50 ng/mL (125 nmol/L) is the point at which we have sufficient substrate
                    for managing calcium levels and have additional to use for other necessary
                    physiological functions - including gene expression (300+ other functions in our bodies)"

What do you mean by gene expression?

Secondly, how much exposure would I need to midday sun to achieve enough vit D (I haven't used sunscreen since I was a kid). I live in Australia and its currently winter.
                    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                      Firstly, to quote: " 50 ng/mL (125 nmol/L) is the point at which we have sufficient substrate
                      for managing calcium levels and have additional to use for other necessary
                      physiological functions - including gene expression (300+ other functions in our bodies)"

What do you mean by gene expression?
                      http://www.google.com/search?q=+vita...ient=firefox-a

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                      Secondly, how much exposure would I need to midday sun to achieve enough vit D (I haven't used sunscreen since I was a kid). I live in Australia and its currently winter.
                      I just don't know. Testing is what I'd recommend for you. Ausralia is tricky because of the increased UVA and UVB there - and because you have a very non-native population. I'd imagine though that the same guidelines apply: midday, full body, summer sun, no sunscreen, to the point just before a burn would occur. Could be 2 minutes, could be 10 could be more.

If you work indoors midday (ie office, store etc), then you simply can't get sufficient UVB from sun to maintain optimal D levels - even though you can get melanoma from high levels of UVA exposure on skin that covers a body with deficient levels of 25(OH)D.

Read everything you can at vitamindcouncil.org....sign up for his newsletter.

K

Comment

Orange Triad, Sams Club Omega 3, Multi Mineral or ZMA at night

Comment

selenium, fish oil, magnesium/ zinc complex, multivitamin 2ce a week
                          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

Most days are good days to supplement

I take fish oil and utilize both whey protein powder, and brown rice protein powder. I don't supplement everyday but try to most days. The protein is added to "primal type shakes" or to balance out my macronutrient profile.

I also try to get in small amounts of beet crystals and cocoa powder on a regular basis to aid in BP reduction.

Comment

Cillakat,

I am labeled prehypertensive by my primary. High dietary potassium consumption or k factor balance seems to lower my BP. I am struggling to keep carbs in check while getting potassium from other foods. I love avocados, just not every day. You seem to be a wealth of info on this forum. Any diet and/or supplement suggestions for me?

Comment

Originally posted by mkp6652 View Post
                                I am labeled prehypertensive by my primary. High dietary potassium consumption or k factor balance seems to lower my BP. I am struggling to keep carbs in check while getting potassium from other foods. I love avocados, just not every day. You seem to be a wealth of info on this forum. Any diet and/or supplement suggestions for me?
                                It's all about ratios. Keep your K:Kcal ratio at about 2-4:1 and your K:Na ratio at 2-12:1. Extreme range in the K:Na ratio, I realize....just depends on who you read.

Tomatoes have the best K:Kcal ratio of any food yet are higher in carbs. You may have to make veggie peeling broths to increase the K content.
                                http://www.krispin.com/potassm.html

Don't discount magnesium:
                                http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html
                                https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...NTcwZmY5&hl=en

For those with kidney damage, potassium supplements can be dangerous. For those with fully functional kidney's, potassium supplements are not a problem - though you *strive* to get the K you need from food and the proper K:Kcal and K:Na ratios. Having said that, there is a supplement available. Pills aren't helpful - having only 99mg per tab.

I'm a little uncomfortable even posting this....lest someone think that if a little is good, a lot is better. Make no mistake that if there is underlying, undiagnosed kidney disease, high dose potassium supplemenation could be deadly.

I use this when I don't get enough potassium from my diet:
                                http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Potas...lb-454-g/13939

It's rare though now. Usually when I don't meet dietary K needs, I simply juice cukes, celery, parsley, lettuces, lemon and garlic and that takes care of it.

Here's the produce post linked below... and ****be sure you're getting enough D - read the link below*****
                                Primal Blueprint and Produce
                                Here's what The Primal Blueprint says about produce:

p40 TPB
                                "The gathering of berries and other fruit, leafy greens, primitive roots, shoots and other vegetation, nuts and seeds provide the bulk of Grok's food supply."

p.112 TPB
                                "'it may take some acclimation to center your diet around vegetables....Dont follow the example of restaurants that serve skimpy vegetable portions seemingly just for decoration; serve yourself heaping portions that crowd everything else on your plate"

p.111
                                "Plant foods..naturally promote a beneficial balance between acidity and alkalinity..inyour bloodstream. Almost all cells prefer a slightly alkaline environment to function properly, but many metabolic processes, including the normal production of cellular energy, result in the release of acidic waste products. The buildup of acidic waste is toxic to your body so it works very hard at all times to preserve a slightly alkaline environment, measured by the familiar pH levels."

p110 TPB
                                see food pyramid: the base is produce indicating that in terms of volume, this is a produce dominated
                                diet. His food pyramid is a clear supportive visual to both his writing, and the evidence available
                                regarding a primal diet (diet in our environment of evolutionary adaptation). Volume-wise, we're
                                eating mostly produce, though in terms of a percentage of calories, we are getting more calories from
                                protein and many more from saturated fat even when we don't add much, if any, free fat.

In this blogpost regarding inflammation and gut health, Mark said:

"I mentioned Dr. Art Ayer’s Cooling Inflammation blog last week, and I’m
                                to do so again. First, Art suggests adopting an anti-inflammatory diet. His dietary
                                recommendations are essentially identical to mine – high SFA, moderate animal
                                protein, low O-6, O-3 supplementation, leafy greens, some fruit and nuts."

❑ 3,500 mg potassium (K) is the "Daily Value" (DV) intake per the FDA, NIH,
                                ADA etc. Consdering that nutrient intakes from these organizations reflect
                                standard intakes, not optimal, consider viewing potassium needs through a
                                'primal' lens based on K intakes in traditional diets and what we know of diets
                                in environment closer to those in which we adapted.

❑ Potassium intakes in the above 'primal' diets - likely ranges
                                based on potassium to sodium ratio
                                5mg K:1mg Na to 16mg K: 1mg Na

based on potassium to calorie ratio
                                2-4mg K per calorie ingested

❑ 10-13 servings produce will often be required to supply potassium at
                                optimal or nearly optimal levels

❑ if needed to bring K:Na ratios or K:Kcal ratios into balance, tomato products
                                at each meal or by drinking homemade veggie peeling broths are easy, low
                                calorie, high potassium supplements. adding 99mg from a potassium tab
                                is essentially worthless when total potassium needs are 3,500-12,000 mg.

Think of magnesium and potassium as the relaxors and calcium and sodium as
                                the contractors. We need both - but it's all about ratio just like it is wrt Ω3 and Ω6.

Last edited by cillakat; 05-20-2010, 09:59 PM. Reason: adding potassium post

Comment

Working...
                                X