Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What supplements do you take? (multivitimins/protein powder/fish oil ect...)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrimalDave View Post
    The question is simple; what supplements, if any, do you take?
    A daily multi, an omega-3 fish oil, and a whey protein w/ recovery formula (l-glutamine & creatine).

Originally posted by PrimalDave View Post
    The reason I'm asking is that I'm considering whether to start supplementing my diet; I'm very aware that it's no substitute for a good diet, and I could have sworn that I've seen some articles citing research that suggested that multivitims were bad for you!
    The biggest complaint with cheap multis is that you don't absorb much of it so it just winds up as waste (pissing your money away, literally!). You should supplement your diet, because the foods available to you today are not as nutrient dense as they used to be -- they're bred for flavor, sweetness, and mass production, not nutrition. Omega 3 fatty acids, for example, are not in your diet if you buy the cheap eggs, the grain fed beef, and if you're not eating wild caught fish virtually every day.

Comment

Fish oil
      Vit D3
      Magnesium citrate
      Calcium citrate now and then
      Just ordered some zinc picolinate
      .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Anyone have any good arguments for how much calcium we really need? I think 1200mg is the general recommendation but this looks like more of the same thick-headed and stubborn tripe that government health guidelines spew. "There is soooo much bone loss, they must be calcium-deficient, better recommend more". It's the same with cholesterol "there so much heart disease, people's cholesterol must still be too high!". Bleh.

Anyway I get the impression that the non-dairy-consuming world is doing just fine on a lot less calcium and I wonder if we really need that much.
        Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I use fitday.com. Based on my food intake I saw what I was failing to intake and then for the first time in my life I started t take supplements.

I'm not telling you what I take. I telling you that based on my food intake... I started to take supplements for what I was lacking.

Comment

Fish Oil (I think the dosage is 1000mg... I have no idea how to read this bottle lol)
            Magnesium*
            Whey protein isolate/egg protein**

*I take this before and after endurance activities (mountaineering) ... apparently it helps muscle recovery and reduces soreness. I can't really tell if that's true or not. I haven't had any terrible muscle cramps (during endurance activities) since I started taking it though
            **I mix this with coconut milk and some kind of fruit for a post-"lift heavy things" protein shake, on occasion. More often than not I fast after a workout.

Oh and I'll take vitamin C if I feel like I'm getting sick, but that rarely happens anymore (in fact, the last time it did was because I drank out of the same glass as someone who had a cold lol).
            Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

fish oil with breakfast and dinner
              probiotic with breakfast

thats about it.
              if i feel like i havent been eating many veggies ill eat a multivitamin too.
              "The first wealth is health."
              - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I take 198mg of potassium citrate, 200mg of chelated magnesium, 100mg of CoQ10, 200mcg of chromium picolinate, a men's multivitamin, and a B-complex every night. As a result: no muscular cramps, no muscle twitches, better blood sugar control, better sleep, and more alertness. It's worth it to me.
                Last edited by Griff; 05-15-2010, 08:16 AM. Reason: error in measurement of one supplement
                Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

what is the CoQ10 and chromiu picolinate?
                  Get on my Level
                  http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I take 2 fish oil capsules and 5,000-6,000 IU of Vitamin D every day.
                    You are what you eat,
                    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

5000 IU D3 (anyone find the big doses cheaper than the smaller ones?)
                      2-4000 mg Omega 3
                      Probably adding a Cal Mag Zinc dose, but haven't yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                        what is the CoQ10 and chromiu picolinate?
                        The Eades recommend them: Coenzyme Q10 is a powerhouse that most people don't produce enough of, and chromium picolinate has been shown to lower blood sugar.
                        Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                          I think 1200mg is the general recommendation but this looks like more of the same thick-headed and stubborn tripe that government health guidelines spew.
                          Stabby, you're absolutely right.

It's standard to be vitamin D deficient (virtually everyone is unless supplementing because they don't get sun at the intensity needed for D production). Because it's standard to be D deficient - and K deficient, it's standard to need incredible amounts of calcium to overcome the poor absorption and poor assimilation of calcium

Vitamin D and K replete individuals likely need signficantly less calcium though no one knows how much that is. Cannell indicates that Bruce Hollis might have the best idea because of his area of research w/in the D field, but I can't find anything specific and he's not yet saying.

From food and supplements combined I'd been getting an intake of 1000 mg calcium and magnesium. I think I'm cutting back the calcium as I have more muscle tension than I should. I'm going for 600 mg from all sources.

Best,
                          Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

When you guys talk about the fish oil you're taking are you referring to the amount of DHA and EPA or what the bottle says is "fish oil"? What exactly is the rest after the EPA and DHA? Is it beneficial at all or pretty much just a filler with only DHA/EPA amounts mattering? I've always been confused by that.

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                              Stabby, you're absolutely right.

It's standard to be vitamin D deficient (virtually everyone is unless supplementing because they don't get sun at the intensity needed for D production). Because it's standard to be D deficient - and K deficient, it's standard to need incredible amounts of calcium to overcome the poor absorption and poor assimilation of calcium

Vitamin D and K replete individuals likely need signficantly less calcium though no one knows how much that is. Cannell indicates that Bruce Hollis might have the best idea because of his area of research w/in the D field, but I can't find anything specific and he's not yet saying.

From food and supplements combined I'd been getting an intake of 1000 mg calcium and magnesium. I think I'm cutting back the calcium as I have more muscle tension than I should. I'm going for 600 mg from all sources.

Best,
                              Katherine
                              Sounds good to me. That seems to be the average intake in eastern Asia and they do perfectly fine. A little bit of fermented tempeh, soil that isn't bare of magnesium, and working the fields in the sun all day and no wonder less calcium is more over there.
                              Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I am working on getting off HBP meds so I am trying a combo of omega 3, co q-10, garlic oil and folic acid. in theory they are supposed to help with cell regeneration and blood flow. so far I have noticed an overall reduction, but not enough to come off my meds completely.

Comment

Working...
                                X