Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really confused about chicken

Hi all!

First, I must say this is my first post but I have been reading here for weeks. I've been on PBP for almost 2 full months now and I do feel great. Weight loss is slow but steady (blame it on the cashews I like to snack on). I started with a BMI of 32, now down do 28.4 and my goal is 25. No particular health problem, I even quit smoking 4 weeks ago.

However, I'm confused about the chicken... I read at some places that I should eat chicken with the skin, and I read at other places that I should not eat chicken and if I do, I should avoid the skin.

My chicken are special though, my father has them in his backyard all summer long and then when fall comes, they move to my freezer. He does feed them with grains sometimes but not all the times and they do have grass and garden veggies to feed on all summer long. Approximately the same goes for the rabbits in my freezer.

So, can I eat this chicken without worrying about the omega 6 omega 3 that may or may not be involved? I am really confused. I like to eat chicken at least 3 or 4 meals per week.

You lucky duck. Yes, eat the skin of carefully raised chickens..when can I move in? Your carefully raised chickens outweigh CAFO beef.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Eat the chicken. Raised like that, the ratio of O6 to O3 is far superior to store bought.
      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Eating CAFO chicken wings daily is probably an unwise omega-6 hazard but anything cleaner, leaner, or less frequent is fine. If you want to play it safe increase fatty fish and decrease nuts/seeds to compensate.
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Eat the skin on free range chicken. Remove it with CAFO chicken and cook with healthy fats. Free range chicken legs really aren't that much more expensive than CAFO chicken legs.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleo0731 View Post
            Eat the skin on free range chicken. Remove it with CAFO chicken and cook with healthy fats. Free range chicken legs really aren't that much more expensive than CAFO chicken legs.
            Free range means nothing. It simply means that chickens are offered outdoor space. Most often, the chickens are lured to stay inside with grains. You read the OP right? His Grandpa's chickens are a different story.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I think chicken's fine, especially if it's high quality, raised on grass and bugs, but ruminant meat is a better choice to make up the bulk of your diet, measured in the long term. It has better nutrition on pretty much every front.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I wish I had a source for great quality chicken. OP, you're really fortunate, and if I were you, I'd worry more about your nut habit and less about your chickens.

I do have sources for great quality beef and lamb (not cheap!) so I guess that's something...
                50yo, 5'3"
                SW-195
                CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Thanks. Thats what I was worried about. I still dont get the whole O6 O3 subtlety but I'll get there.
                  Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                  Eat the chicken. Raised like that, the ratio of O6 to O3 is far superior to store bought.
                  Also, LauraSB, you're right about the nuts. Havent had any today and I will keep it this way the whole week, see if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

Comment

Ruminant meat is better for you, but your chickens are top-quality so eat every part of them that you possibly can. Make some chicken feet soup, too.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

is eating organic free rang chicken any better?

Comment

Originally posted by wattfood View Post
                        is eating organic free rang chicken any better?
                        It depends. If it's certified, look up who certified it & what the standards are.
                        Some of the standards aren't all their cracked up to be

Comment

You generally want to only avoid extra skin/fat on poorly reared animals. If they are free range/grass fed/organic then you should eat most of the animal (organs etc).
                          http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

the organic free range i eat is from one of our major grocery lines (macro whole foods) and consequently one of the major organic players commerically available in australia, so i do feel confident of the product quality... i also buy nuts, coconut products and veg from their brand.

Comment

Eat the skin! Especially if you know where your chickens come from.

If you've removed processed foods, deep fried foods and industrial seed oils from your diet, don't lose sleep over O3:O6 in meat and nuts.
                              Sandra
                              *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Working...
                              X