Beetroot...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beetroot...

just got my hands on some beautiful whole organic beetroot...

Recipe ideas?

Steamed & grated with some apple. Yummy on steak or just in a bowl by itself

Comment

Boiled, mashed with a ton of butter.

Beet kvass.

Comment

Roasted whole with the skin on until cooked but not too soft. Then peeled, diced and sautéed with the greens in coconut oil.
        50yo, 5'3"
        SW-195
        CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
        GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

My grandmother told me that if you peel them before cooking the color runs out. I just boil them and eat with butter and salt.

Comment

Cook it, freeze it in peeled chunks, and purée it in food processor with frozen berries, a splash of coconut milk, and some sweetener if necessary for amazingly beetiful sorbet. It is a pretty magenta color and so so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
            ------
            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
              Cook it, freeze it in peeled chunks, and purée it in food processor with frozen berries, a splash of coconut milk, and some sweetener if necessary for amazingly beetiful sorbet. It is a pretty magenta color and so so good.

My next ice pop for sure.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I love roasting them unpeeled in coconut oil. I then peel and slice them when they are cool. I pickle them in a balsamic vinaigrette to use on salads.

Be aware that red beets may change the color of your urine and/or poo. Can be startling for a hypochondriac!

Comment

Borscht.

Comment

I grow my own, I boil mine. If they are dirty just give them a wash under the tap, DO NOT PEEL AND DO NOT CUT HEAD OR TAIL OFF AS THEY WILL BLEED OUT AND NOT TASTE GOOD. They are a bit like boiling potatoes, stick a knife in them slowly to see if they are cooked. Just run them under the tap and rub and the skin will fall off. I used to slice into chunks and sauté in balsamic vinegar, take off heat then crumble Roquefort cheese some sesame seeds and drizzle olive oil yum yum
                    Got my life back September 23rd 2013...Female 5'6"

HW 210lbs
                    SW 202lbs
                    CW189lbs
                    GW140lbs

The best feeling is not feeling depressed

My journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread95382.html

Comment

Oh gosh! You are all making me hungry, fabulous ideas, thank you! They have always scared me a little but cause they can be expensive and I never really knew what to do with them.

Great advice about not peeling and losing taste etc.. Honestly the first thing I would have done was to top and tail them and peel I'll keep you posted!

I foresee roster with oil and fresh herb run and then mashed with butter.

Mmm and cubed and sautéed with kale and garlic!

x Claire x
                      31 y/o
                      4'10"
                      88kg (on 23/9/13)
                      Practicing full primal

Comment

Cook them by placing in a covered casserole dish with two tablespoons of water and cook in a medium oven for about 1.5 hours. Cool.

Now, peel the beets and cut into 1 inch cubes - weigh them at this stage. Take an equal weight of lambs kidneys, half them and remove the white "core".

Chop an onion and fry gently in butter until soft and translucent. Add the beets and cook until hot. Add the kidneys and half a teaspoon of carraway seeds and about a teaspoon of paprika. stir and cook until the kidneys are almost cooked through, add salt and pepper and small tub of sour cream. Stir and serve. Yummy with a nice green veg and perhaps some white rice if you eat rice...

Comment

This guy is great, never watched it all but I like the way he roast them. I will have to try this next time we have some in the garden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTogwU9oSbY
                          Got my life back September 23rd 2013...Female 5'6"

HW 210lbs
                          SW 202lbs
                          CW189lbs
                          GW140lbs

The best feeling is not feeling depressed

My journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread95382.html

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post

This sounds amazing.

Comment

Working...
                            X