My Sweet Tooth Cure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Sweet Tooth Cure

I think I saw it posted here somewhere but heavy cream, whipped, along with unsweetened cocoa powder and stevia is to die for when you haven't had anything sweet for nearly 4 months.

I could see this becoming a problem (i.e., eating it too often)!
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Jesus, it's filling too, which is probably a good thing. I just ate 1/2 of the batch (a small bowl) which has about 800 calories and 90g of fat.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

I can't have dairy but have made a similar version with coconut cream. Also have made some fudge with coconut oil an cream which was quite yum!

Comment

I discovered that whole foods carries "dark chocolate peanut butter almonds." They sound deadly, but are so filling you don't have to worry about eating more than a small handful.
        “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

My personal cure for my tremendous sweeth tooth was to give up ALL sweeteners, artificial or otherwise. I discovered that I no longer have an interest in 'sweet' things.

If I crave a 'dessert,' I'll have a teaspoon of almond butter, and that works for me.

Comment

Those all sound great. I love heavy whipping cream in my coffee.
            I went out with my wife last night for ribs. “Mother's Day dinner”. I had a sugar free dessert made of chocolate. It made me sick. It first time in a couple of months that I have cheated. If you call it a cheat it said it was sugar free. That will teach me stick with 100% primal for everything! No Cheats!

Comment

totally agree with emmie. Giving up all forms of sweetener completely drops any cravings. After about 3 weeks without, your cravings change to things that you have been eating that past 3 weeks.. and if you have been 100% primal in that time, you'll be craving veggies, nuts, meat, and fruit.. that's it. I love it!

Something else worth noting that might help you kick these sugar cravings, Jokaman, is to let you know that even though artificial sweeteners contain <5 cals per serving, they still trick the body into producing an insulin response. The ONLY benefit of AS's is that they are lower calories, but the body still reacts the same to them. Knowing this made me drop them in an instant.

ps. I love almond butter

Comment

I'm with emmie. I have to just avoid it altogether and thankfully the cravings subside, but I'm an ex hard core sugar junky with little self control.

My only indulgence so far has been frozen organic strawberries in the processor with coconut milk (the Thai brand in a can), a handful of nuts (almonds or macadamias), and whip it all together to the consistency of soft ice cream. This made four good sized servings, of which I had two, and even young kids loved it.

Comment

By the way, I am a seriously obese dude just starting this primal life who dreams of looking like Chase, so I want to add that there was 16 grams of sugar in that can of coconut milk even though the taste is barely sweet. I have no idea how much was in the strawberries, bu this treat may be a bad idea if you're trying to kill the cravings ala emmie. Abstinence is best for me. I was at a little nephew's b-day party yesterday and every imaginable sweet was there. Bowls of fancy chocolates, ice cream, two cakes (opposing grandmas in competition), a pie, homemade chocolate chip cookies, danishes, not to mention chips, crackers, etc. Big party for this little squirt. I had the toppings off a slice of pizza and two bbqed beef patties wrapped in lettuce with onions and tomato. That's it.

Comment

Going ZC eliminated almost all sugar cravings. I do crave sweet potatoes here and there though, but that's about it. Mix it with heavy cream, hm!!!!
                    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
                    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Comment

I weaned myself off sweets slowly, without resorting to artificial sweeteners, and it was nearly painless. Fruit satisfies my sweet tooth completely now.
                      Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
                      Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
                      No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
                      Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

Time for a rant:

I'll never, never, never buy into the whole "I just stopped eating it and, in time, I don't crave sweets anymore" concept. It's bullshit, for me at least. I'm 100%* paleo and have been for more than four months now and chocolate cake still sounds amazing to me. Chinese buffet, yes. Pizza, yes. I miss it all. Maybe your memory is just short or you're delusional...I don't know. I'm sorry if that's blunt but it's how I feel.

Neolithic foods = awesomely satisfying and delicious, there I said it.

Now I understand why we should avoid them, I really do, I've experienced first-hand the benefits of doing just that, but that doesn't change the FACT that a big ass bowl of pasta tastes better to me than a steak, and another steak, and another steak. I don't plan on resorting to my old ways but when I have the opportunity, on special occasions, to eat like I used to I will take full advantage of it and enjoy every minute of it and I'll feel physically fine afterwards

*And when I say 100% I mean 100% - I live on omega-3 eggs, bacon, beef, pork, chicken, beef tallow, olive oil, spices, and some dairy (no milk). Fruit and vege's will be reincorporated, in time.

Comment

Originally posted by chase View Post
                          After about 3 weeks without, your cravings change to things that you have been eating that past 3 weeks.. and if you have been 100% primal in that time, you'll be craving veggies, nuts, meat, and fruit.. that's it. I love it!

Something else worth noting that might help you kick these sugar cravings, Jokaman, is to let you know that even though artificial sweeteners contain <5 cals per serving, they still trick the body into producing an insulin response. The ONLY benefit of AS's is that they are lower calories, but the body still reacts the same to them. Knowing this made me drop them in an instant.
                          Sorry, but you're wrong on the "cravings" front. That's absolutely untrue for me.

Your second point, last night was the first packet of artificial sweetener I've had in MONTHS. And I've heard that this preemptive insulin response doesn't always occur, and even when it does it's different for each person and the impact may be negligible at worst.

Comment

I agree with Jokaman70. I've been about 95% primal for two and half months (maybe not long enough??), but I still crave pizza, nachos, chocolate anything, cookies, desserts. Just thinking about them makes my mouth water. I search the internet for "almost primal" desserts, but so far, I've resisted the temptation to make them. I keep hoping, eventually, I won't want this stuff anymore... (And I'm not giving into my temptations mainly because I discovered, after having a piece of cake three weeks in, that the grains or sugar or both triggered an excruciating migraine. That's the only thing that keeps me committed sometimes.)

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalPeg View Post
                              I agree with Jokaman70. I've been about 95% primal for two and half months (maybe not long enough??), but I still crave pizza, nachos, chocolate anything, cookies, desserts. Just thinking about them makes my mouth water. I search the internet for "almost primal" desserts, but so far, I've resisted the temptation to make them. I keep hoping, eventually, I won't want this stuff anymore... (And I'm not giving into my temptations mainly because I discovered, after having a piece of cake three weeks in, that the grains or sugar or both triggered an excruciating migraine. That's the only thing that keeps me committed sometimes.)

Very true. I have been doing this for 4 months now and every single time I see pizza, pasta with alfredo, chinese, cake etc I want it so damn bad. Like you I don't eat it but craving is an understatement. I too get a headache and also an upset stomach when I stray. Mexican rice on Cinco de Mayo was great until about an hour later.
                              "Live Free or Die"

Comment

Working...
                              X