Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autoimmune protocol... I need more calories.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autoimmune protocol... I need more calories.

Okay, I am on day three of following the Paleo autoimmune protocol. I'm hungry, and getting hungrier by the day. I have been eating mostly Paleo for the last 6 months, but I had still been eating rice, potatoes, and homemade breads using coconut and tapioca flour (and of course eggs). Now that I need to eliminate those foods I feel like I am starving.

I'm currently at my ideal weight, and I'm exclusively nursing my 4 month old baby. I need calories or my milk supply is going to suffer, and I really don't need to lose weight.

I'm really hoping that after about 30 days I will be able to add back into my diet potatoes or eggs (or both). But for now, I need to go at least 30 days without them. Help, where can I get some calories. I can only eat so much meat... kind of makes me sick after awhile, and spinach doesn't exactly fill me up.

Make the meat cuts you buy fattier. Bone in primal cuts and whole chickens. Fat is your friend, cook your veggies in it to get some more. Find how to make curries and other coconut dishes for more good fat. You can still eat fruit on the AI protocol so have at all these: apples, apricots, avocados, berries, cherries, grapefruit, lemons, oranges, peaches, pears, plums

AI isn't about weight loss or carbs or anything except getting rid of foods most likely to be detrimental to your gut or likely to cause you immune system to go haywire (frequent food allergies). So focus on what you CAN eat and just eat a lot of it if you need to.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-04-2013, 01:19 PM.

Comment

I've been preparing some things in advance like homemade sausage patties, precooking sweet potatoes and blanching greens so that I can just add them to whatever I'm having. For breakfast I make a hash out of these items along with onions, it's also good with leftover roasted cauliflower.

Another good thing to have on hand is canned sardines I like to have them with avocadoes. Have you see the Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook? It might give you some ideas. The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
        I've been preparing some things in advance like homemade sausage patties, precooking sweet potatoes and blanching greens so that I can just add them to whatever I'm having. For breakfast I make a hash out of these items along with onions, it's also good with leftover roasted cauliflower.

Another good thing to have on hand is canned sardines I like to have them with avocadoes. Have you see the Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook? It might give you some ideas. The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook
        Good recs....I forgot to mention yams, sweet potato, and of course this time of year is great for a variety of squash.

Comment

The above suggestions are good, especially squashes this time of year. If you feel like you need more energy, add large amounts of grass fed butter to all of the above mentioned foods.

Comment

AIP excludes butter, that may be what I'm missing the most! I'm cooking almost everything in lard.

Can you get plantains where you are? Tostones are really satisfying: Tostones Recipe - Twice Fried Green Plantain Chips I freeze some after the first fry so that I have them on hand when I need them just heat some oil and fry, they're ready in minutes.
            They are delicious with an AIP guacamole! I hope you get enough calories, I know when I was nursing my son (many years ago!) I could not get enough to eat and I wasn't even on the AIP.

BTW I also just started the AIP on October first, though I'd been slowly transitioning into for about a week. So far I've been really enjoying the food and have even come up with some new recipes.
            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I was also going to suggest squash. It's a great low-starch carb source.
              Depression Lies

Comment

Urban Forager, I'd love to hear updates on how you are doing from time to time. What disease are you dealing with?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I definitely need to find ways to utilize coconut milk more! Maybe some kind of coconut milk/squash soup? Right now I have been sautéing all my greens in coconut oil and will continue to do that. I made bone broth for the first time last night (overnight). I turned that into a big pot of chicken soup today which was great. I had a banana today, and will try to keep more of those around, as they are a more filling fruit choice. Overall I haven't minded the food, I just feel like I don't have quite enough of it.

Oh, and thanks for the cookbook suggestion. I will look into that!

Comment

of course this time of year is great for a variety of squash.

Comment

I've got Hashimoto's and chronic allergies. I think I've been hypothyroid for a long time, may have started with the birth of my son 15 yrs ago and got worse in the last year when I started going through menopause. But then again I think I've been cold all my adult life.

For me the hardest part of the diet is snacks, sometimes I'm just a bit peckish and don't need a whole meal. I'm not trying to lose weight and from what I've read about Hashimoto's it's not a good idea to IF. Generally speaking I can trust my hunger, it's not like I'm craving something, I just need to eat something small. So far all I can think of for those times is half an avocado, some coconut butter, or an apple. What I would have had prior to the AIP during those time would have been a bit of cheese, some nuts or smoked turkey.

Comment

I've been following AIP for about 3 years with amazing success. There are plenty of ways to eat a LOT of calories eating this way A lot of the starches have been recommended already - plantains, taro root, sweet potatoes, Okinawan potatoes, yams, tapioca, squash....all of these have multiple delicious ways they can be prepared. Other root veggies are good too.

If you are missing butter, try making a carmelized ghee. It tastes more like real butter than normal ghee. You heat a few sticks of butter (I like kerrygold) and simmer in a pan until the solids are a very dark rich brown color (don't burn it though!!) and then strain out the solids. Good stuff!

A breakfast I am enjoying lately is a warm taro soup. You cube taro root, boil until soft, toss the water, and mix with water, a little coconut milk, ghee, cooked tapioca pearls, sea salt, cinnamon, and a little dash of honey. You can make a large bowl and reheat throughout the week.

Worst case scenerio, add white rice back in to your diet. I love it, don't seem to react too it, and gain weight if I eat too much
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                        I've been following AIP for about 3 years with amazing success. There are plenty of ways to eat a LOT of calories eating this way A lot of the starches have been recommended already - plantains, taro root, sweet potatoes, Okinawan potatoes, yams, tapioca, squash....all of these have multiple delicious ways they can be prepared. Other root veggies are good too.

If you are missing butter, try making a carmelized ghee. It tastes more like real butter than normal ghee. You heat a few sticks of butter (I like kerrygold) and simmer in a pan until the solids are a very dark rich brown color (don't burn it though!!) and then strain out the solids. Good stuff!

A breakfast I am enjoying lately is a warm taro soup. You cube taro root, boil until soft, toss the water, and mix with water, a little coconut milk, ghee, cooked tapioca pearls, sea salt, cinnamon, and a little dash of honey. You can make a large bowl and reheat throughout the week.

Worst case scenerio, add white rice back in to your diet. I love it, don't seem to react too it, and gain weight if I eat too much
                        So, tapioca and sweet potatoes are allowed on the AIP? I thought they were nightshades.

Comment

Okay, I've been considering going on the AIP diet but it's just so overwhelming for me already. I've been on Paleo for two years now but still need to work on my hypothyroidism. Thought the AIP would help seeing I'm also allergic to almonds. I suppose I may not be desperate enough to do something this drastic. Anyway, I know I'll be hungry on it. I've cut out dairy for 10 days now to see if that will help - plan to cut out one possible problem food a month and see. So this month is dairy and next month will be nightshades, the next eggs. I know I'll struggle with eggs as I have them for breakfast every day. The dairy part has been very hard because I eat home-made full-fat yoghurt every day with fruit inside. That seems to fill me and keep me going. Since I've stopped eating it, I struggle so much with hunger. Was wondering if fermented dairy was allowed. I will cut out cheese and milk because I have a feeling they're not good for me - seem to get indigestion after eating them. Also, I like to eat cashews when I really, really need carbs (there are times like this.)

Comment

I've been on AIP for a few weeks now and have been doing well and making new recipes. I struggle with breakfast, as leftovers aren't always enticing at 6 am. I just recently cut out eggs, but am hoping they don't affect me... I asked on a different thread about supplements that I can take- many that I find here (in Colombia) have potato starch and weird stuff mixed in....
                            Meggo

Comment

Try some of the recipes in this wonderful cookbook for great ideas on how to cook and get the calories you need on such a restrictive regime. It's great:

The Cookbook | Autoimmune Paleo
                              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Working...
                              X