Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toothpaste / Shampoo

Hi:

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should use for toothpaste and/or shampoo?

Grok On!
    -Chris

M TOOTHpaste is coconut oil mixed with baking soda. my shampoo is this organic oil stuff i found. sometimes for shampo i just use coconut oil too
    Get on my Level
    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Toothpaste: sea salt

Shampoo/shaving cream: Dr. Woody Castile Soap

Condition: Apple cider vin
      .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

I use Tom's of Maine toothepaste, and I don't use anything for shampoo.

Comment

Toothpaste: Nature's Gate Natural Toothpaste Creme de Anise
          Shampoo: most days, water; once a week, baking soda in water
          Conditioner: apple cider vinegar
          Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Uncle Harry's tooth powder

Shampoo: twice a week I use a solution of a tbsp or so of baking soda, a dash of sea salt, and a drop of tea tree oil in about 16 oz of water. It takes a few weeks to get through a bottle - I just apply it to roots.

Rinse: A bit of white vinegar (acv was too strong for my hair) and a couple drops of almond oil in about 16 oz of water. apply to ends - again about 3 weeks to go through a batch.

Comment

+1 on Uncle Harry's, it's great.

Comment

i do the ACV a couple times a week too!
                Get on my Level
                http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I haven't used shampoo in over a year, and it's been many years since I used regular toothpaste. Baking soda works well in both cases. I mix a small amount of baking soda in water and massage scalp with it (it won't foam up but gets the hair very clean) rinse well, then rinse with water mixed with a little apple cider vinegar and rinse again with just water. You can stop there or if your hair is curly, use a "leave in" conditioner ( a little goes a long way).

Comment

I use Tom's of Maine or Trader Joe's brands, but even these have unnecessary additives and flavors. Can anyone recommend an unflavored toothpaste?

Comment

baking soda on it's own really is just about the best toothpaste available.

I use Ultra Brite fresh mint (*gasp*) a few nights a week and Now Foods Platinum mint the rest of the time:
                      Water, Xylitol, Hydrated Silica, Sorbitol, Sodium Bicarbonate, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Natural Mint Flavor, Carrageenan (Chondrus crispus), Tea Tree Leaf Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia), Papain and Potassium Sorbate.

That's an ingredient list thats pretty hard to argue with.

For shampoo, after years of buying natural, using castille (which is crap imo) and everything expensive under the sun, I've come back to using whatever is inexpensive from the grocery or drugstore. This is one area that its just not worth it for me to spend 7x the money and get 1/2 the product. This is so minimally important compared to produce, vitamin D and high quality meat....

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I tried brushing my teeth with baking soda, and my god did it stink! Sea Salt is better.
                        .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

might want to read up on issues with brushing with salt....it can dangerously raise Na+ blood levels. It's not a good idea.

K

Comment

I would think just using sea salt could really negatively affect the enamal on your teeth after extended use, but I could be wrong. I use either baking soda alone + tea tree oil + peppermint oil, or baking soda with a little peroxide, or as someone else said, just baking soda alone (but the taste of it alone makes me nearly gag.)

Shampoo - On a tight budget, I use Pantene (Awful, I know, but it does a good job, I agree with whoever said that quality food is more important). I have very very thick, long, and wavy hair, so I have to have something that doesn't cause it to tangle and make me look like a washed up sea hag! When money is better, I usually use my own concoction of non-soap (Nutribiotic brand) with Aloe and GSE, and I add to that tea tree oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil.

Conditioner - ACV mixed equally with water and then add rosemary oil to the mix and just pour it on without rinsing.
                            Now and then it is good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by aprilleigh1974 View Post
                              I have very very thick, long, and wavy hair,
                              Me too....well, thick and long. Not wavy. Stick freaking straight. I've been perfectly happy with suave or Vo5 - whatever is cheapest per oz. I no longer need conditioner but my girls do. I second the ACV suggestion heartily.

Originally posted by aprilleigh1974 View Post
                              When money is better
                              When money is better: save it. Save save save. Budget. Go all Dave Ramsey;p

K

Comment

Working...
                              X