Vegan paleo diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegan paleo diet

It seems as the debate is a bit one sided. It is always vegan vs paleo and my question is; Is it possible to thrive on a vegan paleo diet? Do you know anyone who has tried?

I don't know anyone who's tried, but my guess is the answer would be a resounding no. Unless your version of veganism includes oysters, anyway.
    Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

I believe the book It Starts With Food covers vegetarian paleo-esque options, but it's not really paleo by standard definitions since you'd have to rely on fermented/soaked legumes for your protein source. Paleo ways of eating also includes a lot of animal fats, optimally, and you'd have a hard time getting enough of the right kinds of fats without them, I think.
      Depression Lies

Comment

I know someone who was very strict vegan for 18 months, she is now eating paleo. We agreed on a lot, but disagreed on more-I can't see them being compatible tbh

Comment

There is no traditional culture in the world that we know of that has ever existed on an entirely vegan diet. Sure, some eat more or less meat than others, but nobody in "the real world" is a vegan. Veganism is luxury, a product of our modern society. Sure, it is possible to stay alive on a vegan diet and maybe do OK if you ate lots of coconut oil and healthy plant fats. For optimal health results, animal based protein and fat are necessary to really perform as well as the human body is capable of performng.

To answer your question, while some vegan foods (vegetables for example) are considered paleo, adhering to a 100% vegan diet is definitely not paleo, and in my personal opinion, not very healthy either. If this is something you are thinking about (assuming you currently follow a vegan diet), you may want to start with some sort of vegetarian diet with high quality dairy (grass fed butter!), eggs, shellfish, etc. Then work your way up from there to things like grass fed beef and wild fish as you start to see results, improved health, and better mental clarity.

I have never personally had any interest in or experience with vegan diets, but if you search around this forum and other sites you will find plenty of former vegans who switched over to a more ancestral way of eating. Do your own research and make your own decisions about what is best for you.

Comment

I don't understand why we have to walk on eggshells about issues like religion and veganism. The answer is a firm, definite no. As in no evidence that anybody survived for any period of time on a vegan diet during the paleolithic period,, no chance we'd have these large brains and small acidic stomachs if we were to thrive as vegans, no way to be healthy on a truly vegan diet in the long run, and no reason to feel self-righteous about not eating other animals.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Cows - yes; humans - no.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I don't see how vegan paleo could be possible - what would you eat for protein?

Meat, fish, eggs, dairy - not vegan.
                Legumes, grains, meat substitutes from a factory - not paleo

What's left? Tempeh, maybe - not strictly paleo, but not as bad as the modern meat substitutes - and nuts and seeds. So you have a lifetime of nut cutlets, with flax seed to bind instead of egg. Doesn't sound much fun, nor yet particularly healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                  I don't see how vegan paleo could be possible - what would you eat for protein?
                  Vegans.

Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                  https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                  MFP Food Diary:
                  http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                  (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Mushrooms & potatoes. But it's gonna take a lot of mushrooms.
                    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      I don't understand why we have to walk on eggshells about issues like religion and veganism. The answer is a firm, definite no. As in no evidence that anybody survived for any period of time on a vegan diet during the paleolithic period,, no chance we'd have these large brains and small acidic stomachs if we were to thrive as vegans, no way to be healthy on a truly vegan diet in the long run, and no reason to feel self-righteous about not eating other animals.
                      But gorillas are vegan and they be sum swole MF'ers!
                      If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

In many ways paleo is a warning against plant proteins so they'd be hard to reconcile.
                        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                          But gorillas are vegan and they be sum swole MF'ers!
                          That's true (well, not really, they're mostly vegan, but I digress). Of course they accomplish this with an entirely different digestive system than the one you and I have.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Agreed 100%. Both, regarding religion and about veganism.

Comment

That's true (well, not really, they're mostly vegan, but I digress). Of course they accomplish this with an entirely different digestive system than the one you and I have.
                              Sarcasm not detected?
                              Some vegan actually posted the gorilla argument on an article I read the other day, think it was about cholesterol...
                              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Working...
                              X