Please critique my 1-pound dinner.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This feedback is great!
    I wasn't looking for anything specific, just wondering people's thoughts.
    I will look for better cheese (white I guess?) and shred it myself. Thanks!
    We microwave the broccoli from a frozen state to hot. Then I usually add butter to it. Perhaps I will try the oven method, thanks for the tip!
    I will look for dry curd...never heard of it before.
    The weight is 1 pound, net of the plate. i.e. the food weighs 1 pound.
    I don't aim for a certain amount, it is just that a couple of my meals have weighed in at 1-lb, they are usually the heaviest meal I eat in one sitting.
    Not sure what PHD means.
    There were garden tomatoes on the counter in the food prep area, I forgot to eat some!
    I don't normally eat orange or purple foods...guess I should look for some.
    The chicken was grilled with a dry BBQ Rub on it, not sauce. Brown Sugar is listed but its last in the ingredient list (all others are spices). I'm OK with it.

Thanks everyone!
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

Where does any of that say that sugar has anything to do with AGE's? Or that the Maillard reaction takes place inside the human body rather than on the grill?
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

It doesn't. That's the science that uses the word "Maillard reaction" in vivo (ergo in vivo temperatures), which someone refuted.

The science suggesting that increased and maintained blood sugar levels causing venal cellular damage is at least compelling is out there, but you can Google as well as I.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimm View Post
          It doesn't. That's the science that uses the word "Maillard reaction" in vivo (ergo in vivo temperatures), which someone refuted.

The science suggesting that increased and maintained blood sugar levels causing venal cellular damage is at least compelling is out there, but you can Google as well as I.
          I'm just not sure how you think a little barbecue sauce on chicken is a recipe for "brown, crusty arteries" in 20 years. Seems like you're making several unsupported leaps in logic.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            I'm just not sure how you think a little barbecue sauce on chicken is a recipe for "brown, crusty arteries" in 20 years. Seems like you're making several unsupported leaps in logic.
            Because BBQ sauce is made from sugar. "a little barbecue sauce on chicken" isn't any different or more dangerous than "a little sugar in a scone". But there are more reasons to avoid it than as a metabolic fuel. Saying "a little barbecue sauce on chicken" will cause atherosclerosis is like saying "a little barbecue sauce on chicken" will cause insulin resistance. I don't think I said anything that extreme. But it is true because sugar is often hidden (56 names, right?), many people on the S.A.D. are walking around with elevated blood sugar levels (as evidenced by increased insulin resistance) because we tend to absent-mindedly let it accumulate and the Primal community as a whole is pretty down on it.

The spirit of the comment was: If you're trying to be Primal or paleo or whatever, which advocates not using excessive sugars, don't forget that it's in BBQ sauce.

Taking the opportunity to bring the Maillard rxn & AGEPs up re: BBQ sauce makes sense because we're talking about browning meats, not bread. And our circulatory system is made of meat,not bread. If anyone made any leaps off of that, it wasn't me.

~Jimm

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
              Needs moar pounds.

Dammit, I wanted to say that.

IMHO a pound is a pretty light meal. I wouldn't sleep well on such an empty stomach, but YMMV.
              Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
              https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
              MFP Food Diary:
              http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
              (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Something to learn about Jimm: I use a little Hyperbole and other devices.

Comment

BBQ chicken - I'd be eating organic with skin, chicken thighs. I like them with coriander & thai fish sauce marinade then grilled or in a coconut curry.
                  broccoli w/cheese topping - Fresh boiled or steamed, nothing on it for me. Frozen I'd have to doctor it up as it lacks the right flavor and texture.
                  olives - fine as is
                  cottage cheese -They have some good brands like Nancy's which are cultured
                  avocado I'd have more of the avocado if I could get it past the rest of the family

ultimately your goals are important towards a critique. Since I only do 2 meals a day, I'd be hungry after that plate of food, so I would eat a large salad. And then be looking for a few spoons of Almond butter or something to make me feel like I had a meal. However compared to the average american dinner you get 5 stars.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                    Looks like a great appetizer; what kind of feedback do you want?

Sent via F-22 Raptor
                    I agree. Dude, where's my meal?
                    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                      I agree. Dude, where's my meal?
                      I think that's what the empty spot in the middle of the plate is for. A pound of braised meat or a big filet would fit right in there perfectly.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I see the OP's dinner and raise him mine.

Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Nice!
                          Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
                          Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
                          "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
                          "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
                          "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

Oh BBQ sauce is nothing. This is what your chicken should worry about. Terrifying Lake Turns Birds Into Statues
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

My dinners looked similar to OP's at the beginning of Primal for me. That's how I was able to lose weight: small yet satisfying meals.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Chocotaco, those taters look awesome. Can't wait to scarf some up when I refeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X