Takeaway pizza

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
    I make my own pizza always with olive oil and a sourdough crust. It's good.
    I've been making pizza crust out of grated zucchini, mozzarella and carrots. Mix it with one egg and at the end I sprinkle a handful of polenta (I'm grinding whole yellow hominy into polenta in my blender - it's working well) for a crunch. Bake, flip, bake. It really does approximate thin crust pizza...pretty good!

I found this stuff at Shop Rite for $2.49:

http://www.finestbrandfood.com/finest_grains.html

Go down to "Finest Yellow Cracked Corn." It says "golden hominy" on it and it is cracked into piece like they hulled it, so I'm hoping it's alright. No ingredients anywhere on the package.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-03-2013, 04:09 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
      I've been making pizza crust out of grated zucchini, mozzarella and carrots. Mix it with one egg and at the end I sprinkle a handful of polenta (I'm grinding whole yellow hominy into polenta in my blender - it's working well) for a crunch. Bake, flip, bake. It really does approximate thin crust pizza...pretty good!
      I'll have to give this a try, since I've always liked zucchini. Do you use whisked eggs instead of tomato sauce too, or do you always use tomato sauce? Several times I made a fruit pizza with either eggs or carrot sauce for a more mild flavor.
      Make America Great Again

Comment

Traditional pizza isn't the worst food anyway. It's probably healthier than the majority of stuff out there that includes some type of seed oil. Assuming you can tolerate wheat, pizza is a safer choice when eating out i my opinion.

Comment

I'll have to give this a try, since I've always liked zucchini. Do you use whisked eggs instead of tomato sauce too, or do you always use tomato sauce? Several times I made a fruit pizza with either eggs or carrot sauce for a more mild flavor.
          Always tomato. Anything else is a sacrilege to me.
          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by max219 View Post
            Traditional pizza isn't the worst food anyway. It's probably healthier than the majority of stuff out there that includes some type of seed oil. Assuming you can tolerate wheat, pizza is a safer choice when eating out i my opinion.
            Isn't it funny? It's probably the only thing on the menu in a normal restaurant that is guaranteed to not have seed oil in it. Everything else requires pans or grills likely coated in the oil.

Comment

Always tomato. Anything else is a sacrilege to me.
              Yeah it definitely lacks a distinctive pizza taste.
              Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by max219 View Post
                Pizza has a well rounded amount of nutrients in a highly palatable combination. Even tomato sauce itself packs a lot.
                Make America Great Again

Comment

Pizza has a well rounded amount of nutrients in a highly palatable combination. Even tomato sauce itself packs a lot.
                  It's also calorie dense, incredibly easy to eat and leaves you hungry 2 hours later.

So I don't eat it.

Comment

It's also calorie dense, incredibly easy to eat and leaves you hungry 2 hours later.

So I don't eat it.
                    How much are you talking about eating? If I pack away a large pizza I'm done for the day easily.
                    Make America Great Again

Comment

Not to be a smartass, but does anyone think pizza is good for them?
                      Yes. Pizza is really good for me once in a while. Like twice a year...
                      Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

How much are you talking about eating? If I pack away a large pizza I'm done for the day easily.
                        lol...I envy you.

Comment

lol...I envy you.
                          I barely think about food at all(sounds odd since I'm on this forum a lot) I'm beyond full after 4 slices, which is when I'd forget about eating it when I was younger and wake up to couch pizza in the morning.
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

Talking teenagers out of pizza is a veeeeery tall order.

Comment

I forgot what Choco mentioned, which is pretty important.....there aren't really any pizza chains within 30 miles of me at least, so for me pizza is my go-to carb refeed/cheat food.

I make the crust from almost flour, and the tomato sauce is made out of my backyard. I cook it on a woodstove or if I really want to wait for a 600 degree oven. I never understood the bad rap pizza got, as this is my image of it. My main pizza takeout place makes their own sourdough and sources meat from within the county. It is expensive, but heavenly They make a "wild man's Hawaiian Pizza" that has wild boar, pineapple, and real coconut shavings on it.

That said, that is my usual myopia about most diet stuff; my definition is often not that of others, and I often forget that to a fault.....looking at a quick google search of the ingredients in your average pickup pizza from a chain though, yeah, not good for you at all.

I ran into 5 preservatives in just the cheese. Not a good sign.
                              "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
                                My main pizza takeout place makes their own sourdough and sources meat from within the county. It is expensive, but heavenly They make a "wild man's Hawaiian Pizza" that has wild boar, pineapple, and real coconut shavings on it.
                                shit dude that sounds fantastic.

wanna mail me a box? I'll pay for overnight.
                                Make America Great Again

Comment

Working...
                                X