Should Flax and Psyllium be Avoided?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Flax and Psyllium be Avoided?

I read somewhere here on the site that many people use psyllium as a bulking agent, and that it should not be necessary. I think it was called eating "sticks and twigs" or something.

I know that grains are discouraged, and I understand why. Is psyllium considered a grain that should be avoided?

And how about flax? Being a seed, is that considered okay to eat for regularity?

Thanks!
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Why would you eat flax? small seeds alot of them? for what? Omega3? c'mon, there are by far better alternatives (real fat fish)

Comment

I personally don't like flax because of the phytoestrogens... but psyillim I use as additional fiber once or so a day
      sigpic
      In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Why would you NOT eat flax? Ground flax can be used to make baked things, like bread and muffins, etc. Is there a reason NOT to eat it? That is my question. Flax meal is good for digestion and regularity.

And how about psyllium?

Thanks!
        Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

sigpic

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Yeah, I said I would avoid flax because of the estrogenic properties.

Psyillium, don't really see a reason unless more fiber doesn't do you good.
          sigpic
          In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

CW says Americans need serious fiber in their diets. And by “fiber” CW often means bran buds, whole wheat, psyllium husks – you know, sticks and twigs roughage. We’re talking that 1980’s Saturday Night Live bit about Super Colon Blow cereal. Let’s just say that the more sensitive among us, in particular, want to broach the question: “Is this really the best way?”

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fiber

This is where I read that psyllium was not good or needed or something...
            Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Im talking about a pysillium powder... It's not needed... but as I said, if the fiber improves digestion, then use it, if not, don't use it... I just don't see a definitive negative to taking it
              sigpic

Comment

if you're eating veggies & getting enough fat, you shouldn't need fiber for much of anything. as for the flax, mark covers the ala omega-3s & various other concerns here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/flax-...e-cancer-risk/ personally, the only time i use flax is ground up in my smoothies (maybe a tbsp) & sometimes a bit in my almond flour bread. otherwise, i see no need for it in my diet.
                Last edited by aboutsaffron; 05-09-2010, 09:10 AM.
                And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks! I will look at that flax link.
                  Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

When I feel like something 'bready' I make a flax meal mug muffin for breakfast, to have with my bacon and eggs. Basically it works out to 3 tablespoons of flax meal about 4 x per week. I copied this from Mark's post linked above ( http://www.marksdailyapple.com/flax-...e-cancer-risk/ )

So, what’s my current suggestion in light of the potential prostate cancer link? If you’re a woman, the obvious point of the research isn’t relevant. Nonetheless, the underlying role of phytoestrogens in flax is nonetheless an important one. I’d say that healthy women can consume low to moderate amounts of flax without concern. Sure, a large amount of research suggests the protective effect of phytoestrogens against breast cancer (in healthy women), and this research includes flax.
                    As prostate cancer is not something I worry about it I think I will continue to eat my muffins!
                    My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

I have flax muffins, too! Yummy!
                      Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

If you want to learn something about inflammation, always go to acne-prone people. I eat 2 tbs of raw flax seeds every other day, no problem. If that flax has come into contact with heat, my face will have a few unwelcome quests the next day. Paleo is great because there is little if any inflammation going on and I think flax can be good in moderation but not if heated. Heat + plant-based polyunsaturated fats=pain in my experience. Makes sense, that's why fried food is so much worse than raw almonds. Comparable omega 6 but the almond is protecting the PUFAs. Roast the almond and you have oxidized fats but eat it raw and soaked and that isn't a problem.

I'm not entirely worried about hormones and the like, as long as it's not a lot of flax.
                        Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

for someone getting sufficient veggies and fruit, flax/psyllium won't be needed for regularity.

I think smallish amounts of ground flax are fine for women if desired for the lignans/phytoestrogens.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

For those pf you getting worried about fiber, I eat 0 grams of it per day and never felt better in terms of regularity. And I know of others who do the same, so ditch the psyllium/flax because they may be harmful.
                            ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
                            ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                              If you want to learn something about inflammation, always go to acne-prone people. I eat 2 tbs of raw flax seeds every other day, no problem. If that flax has come into contact with heat, my face will have a few unwelcome quests the next day. Paleo is great because there is little if any inflammation going on and I think flax can be good in moderation but not if heated. Heat + plant-based polyunsaturated fats=pain in my experience. Makes sense, that's why fried food is so much worse than raw almonds. Comparable omega 6 but the almond is protecting the PUFAs. Roast the almond and you have oxidized fats but eat it raw and soaked and that isn't a problem.

I'm not entirely worried about hormones and the like, as long as it's not a lot of flax.
                              +1, There are people who do use it in fairly large amounts, especially members of the low-carb community
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X