HCLF vs HFLC-help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCLF vs HFLC-help!

I'm looking for some advice. I've seen a huge shift in opinions on this site over the past few months or so. Instead of trumpeting VLC and HF everything, high carb is now coming more into the picture. I have been wondering a lot about this because I haven't been seeing results with HFLC. So I'm considering a transition, but I still have some questions. Any advice would be much appreciated.

1) Isn't fat the preferred fuel that our body wants to burn? Wouldn't I just start having blood sugar crashes again if I ate more carbs and less fat?

2) Large amounts of carbs were not naturally found in the wild except for maybe tropical areas and summer, and many cultures thrive on virtually no carbs for their entire lives. So shouldn't we follow the most natural approach?

3) I have heard that it may depend partly on genetics. Does this relate at all to our ancestry&what they would have eaten?

Sorry, one more thing: If I did transistion into a higher carb diet, what are people's opinions on programs such as IIFYM?

Comment

My only comment on this is that I'm here to follow Mark's programme. If I wanted to follow a different programme, I'd go to a different forum. I haven't seen any evidence that he has changed his approach from the PB.
      Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

Sabrina, you should wander over to the Peat thread. There you will find a ton of info and people into higher carb. I don't normally suggest this, but it sounds like you have given lower carb a go and it didn't work.

ETA: The thread is called: Primal With Moar Peat

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I quit paying attention to macro ratios a long time ago. For most people.. most of the time it really doesn't matter. There are 3 macros.. your body has evolved to deal with all of them. Focusing on whole foods with natural micro nutrients is really what causes most people to have success. If they follow this simple guideline while on HCLF or HFLC they think its the macros.. when they more likely are just getting proper nutrition and eliminating any possible allergens and other obvious issues from frankenfoods.
          Last edited by statikcat; 10-01-2013, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the heads up, oceangrl. It sounds like I'll find some of the answers to my questions over there.

Comment

I have adopted some of the practices, but they are the pros. Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Why not just eat whole foods regardless of macronutrient content based on preference?

If you want potatoes, eat potatoes, if you want bacon, eat bacon. One day can be different from the next.
                Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                MFP Food Diary:
                http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

I did not have blood sugar crashes when I went from HFLC to HCLF.

Comment

Don't ignore protein. IMHO getting the right amount is more important than the rest. Too little protein is a big reason many struggle on HFLC

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by sabrina90 View Post
                      I'm looking for some advice. I've seen a huge shift in opinions on this site over the past few months or so. Instead of trumpeting VLC and HF everything, high carb is now coming more into the picture. I have been wondering a lot about this because I haven't been seeing results with HFLC. So I'm considering a transition, but I still have some questions. Any advice would be much appreciated.

1) Isn't fat the preferred fuel that our body wants to burn? Wouldn't I just start having blood sugar crashes again if I ate more carbs and less fat?

2) Large amounts of carbs were not naturally found in the wild except for maybe tropical areas and summer, and many cultures thrive on virtually no carbs for their entire lives. So shouldn't we follow the most natural approach?

3) I have heard that it may depend partly on genetics. Does this relate at all to our ancestry&what they would have eaten?
                      What exactly is not working out for you? Weight loss/satiety/mood swings? What do you define as high carb, 150g, 300g?

I've been following TPB rules and its working out for me, but I have had to learn what does and doesn't effect me negatively.

For instance some fruit now and then is fine, but if I have fruit everyday then that stalls my body recomposition.

Make sure you are eating lots of salad with your meats...

Long walks seem to be really beneficial for me, 4-5km per day.

I began intermittent fasting more or less the same time I began TPB so can't say if I would have achieved the same result without it but you should definitely try IF out. For me, TPB and IF compliment each other really well.

I'm against high carb by the way unless your are extremely active (think marathoner/triathlon) then good carbs are fine... Yam/Sweet potato. Try to avoid normal potatoes as they are from the nightshade family.

I hope this has given you a few ideas?

:-)

My PB & Workout Log
                      Last edited by monkspeed; 10-02-2013, 04:02 AM.
                      My PB Journal

Comment

My opinion is find what works for you. Those who are more active tend to do better when eating high carbs, but I have also seen people performing at the gym on ketosis. It is all about genetics.

I personally do better with weightloss on lower carb, but I also bonk at the gym on lower carb
                        Thus I am carb cycling: hclf on gym days, hflc on rest days. I have about 2-3 high carb days a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                        ------
                        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowknight137 View Post
                          Why not just eat whole foods regardless of macronutrient content based on preference?

If you want potatoes, eat potatoes, if you want bacon, eat bacon. One day can be different from the next.
                          This.

I don't even know what my macronutrient breakdown is except in the loosest "had a banana today" sense.

Comment

Originally posted by sabrina90 View Post

1. Lie.
                            2. Myth.
                            3. Are you of Inuit descent? Then you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                              1. Lie.
                              2. Myth.
                              3. Are you of Inuit descent? Then you will be fine.
                              What makes you think its all lies and myths? Care to give us some links so we can check for ourselves? Thanks (despite good evidence that says otherwise but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt)

My PB & Workout Log
                              My PB Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X