Wait... is this lard hydrogenated?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait... is this lard hydrogenated?

I've been buying the occasional block of lard from the supermarket. It's a bit harder than butter, solid at room temperature. Then the other day I saved the fat from the belly pork I fried - and that's much, much softer, dropping from the spoon at room temperature.

Hm. Does that mean the supermarket stuff is hydrogenated? The label doesn't say anything about that - but maybe they're not obliged to mention it...?

I have never seen lard in a supermarket that wasn't hydrogenated, but I believe it says it is right on the label. I always buy my lard from a butcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
      I've been buying the occasional block of lard from the supermarket. It's a bit harder than butter, solid at room temperature. Then the other day I saved the fat from the belly pork I fried - and that's much, much softer, dropping from the spoon at room temperature.

Hm. Does that mean the supermarket stuff is hydrogenated? The label doesn't say anything about that - but maybe they're not obliged to mention it...?
      I'm unsure about hydrogenation but from experience the lard you collect from home cooking tastes ten times better then the store bought stuff. Mmmm.

Comment

Maybe the labelling requirements are different, US vs Europe? (Though normally I thought the EU tended to be fussier...?) This just says ingredients pork lard and vitamin E as antioxidant. But the consistency is suspicious. Maybe I'll just use it to season the pan, not to cook with.

Comment

I discovered hydrogenated lard at the local Mexican Grocer and did a double take. The hell's the point of hydrogenating lard? Satfat's are already stable. Just huck it in the damn fridge next to those 200 bloody types of soda if you need to.

M.

Comment

Where in the grocery store did you get it from? Refrigerated section or a shelf?
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
              I discovered hydrogenated lard at the local Mexican Grocer and did a double take. The hell's the point of hydrogenating lard? Satfat's are already stable. Just huck it in the damn fridge next to those 200 bloody types of soda if you need to.

M.
              Because lard isn't very high in saturated fat, and modern lard has a polyunsaturated fat content as high as 30%. Even pastured lard is significantly softer than butter. Modern lard is somewhere in between butter and vegetable oil. It isn't something you want sitting out on your counter. You'd have to refrigerate it, and lard isn't often stored in the refrigerated section in the supermarket. They want it sitting out, so it requires hydrogenation.
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I buy jars of goosefat, its says on the jar's ingredients goose fat 100%

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                  Because lard isn't very high in saturated fat, and modern lard has a polyunsaturated fat content as high as 30%. Even pastured lard is significantly softer than butter. Modern lard is somewhere in between butter and vegetable oil. It isn't something you want sitting out on your counter. You'd have to refrigerate it, and lard isn't often stored in the refrigerated section in the supermarket. They want it sitting out, so it requires hydrogenation.
                  Well, I'll be. Learned something today.

M.

Comment

In Australia lard is stored in a supermarket fridge and it says non hydro generated on mine so were lucky

Comment

If it's hard, then it's probably hydrogenated. I make lard from cooking down pork fat from the butcher. I refrigerate the lard, and even in the refrigerator it's soft. On another note. I also make my own beef tallow, and that is VERY hard in the refrigerator.

Comment

It's refrigerated. A bit harder than butter.

Well... more coconut oil for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                          It's refrigerated. A bit harder than butter.
                          Hard to say. If it was on the shelf, I'd definitely guess that it's hydrogenated. Does the company have a website or phone number on the package?
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

With butter and coconut oil both so inexpensive and so stable, I don't see the point in using lard. Everything that lard can do, the other two can do better. Possibly the best cooking fat in existence is ghee, so if you can make your own from pastured butter you have the ultimate fat -the flavor goes with everything, it is probably the most nutritious fat, it is extremely stable and the smoke point is over 400 degrees.
                            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

The one thing lard does particularly well is condition the cast iron frying pan. More saturated fats are much more likely to stick. However, much as I'm concerned for my frying pan's health and wellbeing...

Comment

Working...
                              X