The metabolic advantage hypothesis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
    Well apparently now he believes that it doesn't matter how hungry you are because your metabolism will just speed up to accommodate.
    It's true anyway. calorie intake in excess is sensed by the brain, which activates thermogenesis as a means of preventing obesity.

Protein, sugar, and salt are thermogenic.
    Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
      People around here seem to only acknowledge the "CI" side but don't realize the "CO" side is variable as well.
      Funny thing, I've started drinking a gainer and it's been two weeks. I expected to gain but the scale is the same.
      How could it be while I'm increasing my CI? More carbs = harder, longer workouts = my CO has increased as well.
      Although I still weigh the same I definitely gained lean mass while losing body fat.
      Last edited by Gilleh; 10-05-2013, 12:26 AM.
      Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

Well apparently now he believes that it doesn't matter how hungry you are because your metabolism will just speed up to accommodate.
        I see, I see...
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
          Even your trolling is bad.
          Wait, I was trolling?
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Clearly by looking at all the plateaus around here brought on by prolonged low carbohydrate dieting, paired with stores of hair loss, cold hands and feet and the chills while eating, the metabolic rate surely can drop below the hunger suppressive effects.

And that's another strike against low carbohydrate dieting for performance and athleticism. If muscle gain is the goal, you definitely don't want a diet that suppresses appetite. You want a diet that encourages eating, particularly after a heavy workout. It's no surprise that post-workout, not only is appetite strongest but insulin sensitivity is highest. Your body is begging for carbohydrate and protein, not fat.

Except for the army of people for whom none of this is true. And eating a crap ton of protein after hunting down an animal definitely means a blood sugar spike, and insulin sensitivity would be very useful then, indeed!
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I'm not really up for this debate, and don't have any real interest in it, just an observation:

I don't seem to be capable of eating enough food to make my abs go away. Even averaging 5,000+ calories/day for extended periods doesn't do it. So something happens there. I just don't know what. Yes, I'm a lucky bastard. My metabolism is the Seal Team Six of metabolisms or something.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Comment

I'm not really up for this debate, and don't have any real interest in it, just an observation:

I don't seem to be capable of eating enough food to make my abs go away. Even averaging 5,000+ calories/day for extended periods doesn't do it. So something happens there. I just don't know what. Yes, I'm a lucky bastard. My metabolism is the Seal Team Six of metabolisms or something.
                Do you turn the excess into heat?
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                  Do you turn the excess into heat?
                  I don't know. I do know that women basically use me as a heat rock, though.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Comment

You date lizards?
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

You date lizards?
                      That's actually a much nicer way to describe a couple of exes than I would use. :-)

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Comment

Indeed!
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

You know, I just thought Chaco was finally being reasonable and realizing that certain diets give you a little appetite suppression which helps you reduce your calories and lose weight. Because CICO and all.

But no, he's twisted it all up in some kind of lunacy that your appetite has gone down because your metabolism has slowed to a crawl. I can't understand then why so many people are enjoying the appetite suppression of low carb, high fat Primal or high protein, low fat Paleo and losing weight. It shouldn't work according to him.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

You know, I just thought Chaco was finally being reasonable and realizing that certain diets give you a little appetite suppression which helps you reduce your calories and lose weight. Because CICO and all.

But no, he's twisted it all up in some kind of lunacy that your appetite has gone down because your metabolism has slowed to a crawl. I can't understand then why so many people are enjoying the appetite suppression of low carb, high fat Primal or high protein, low fat Paleo and losing weight. It shouldn't work according to him.
                            the body protectively slows the metabolism during those times to prolong survival since the body consumes itself during such times. Your appetite suppression is your metabolism slowing down, if not, you'd starve to death, since your body is expecting x amounts of calories and x amounts of carbohydrates to fuel itself. It's effective short term, if you're actually starving, but it's not exactly a desirable long term weight loss plan since as soon as you start eating more food, you will likely balloon up since that's exactly what your body wants. 2 months on low carb, I couldn't eat more than 1.5k calories a day(I'm 6'3), dropped to 130lbs, but was sick as a dog -- and as soon as I started eating actual palatable food, I overate as a natural mechanism(I felt like I was starving) and immediately gained nearly 40lbs in a short time.
                            Make America Great Again

Comment

the body protectively slows the metabolism during those times to prolong survival since the body consumes itself during such times. Your appetite suppression is your metabolism slowing down, if not, you'd starve to death, since your body is expecting x amounts of calories and x amounts of carbohydrates to fuel itself. It's effective short term, if you're actually starving, but it's not exactly a desirable long term weight loss plan since as soon as you start eating more food, you will likely balloon up since that's exactly what your body wants. 2 months on low carb, I couldn't eat more than 1.5k calories a day(I'm 6'3), dropped to 130lbs, but was sick as a dog -- and as soon as I started eating actual palatable food, I overate as a natural mechanism(I felt like I was starving) and immediately gained nearly 40lbs in a short time.
                              And you know what? You're not the only person for whom this is true. Whether there is a genetic component or some part of the diet was incomplete, or maybe you didn't move enough to get hungry enough - I don't know. It might be that you are an ectomorph. It might be that I took an antibiotic at some point and the gut flora I grew back are completely whack. We just don't know enough, except that I am at a very healthy body composition for both strength and longevity, and my hair is thick and full, and I sleep great on very low carb (~50g) while eating about 2000 calories a day of the most affordable and nutrient dense foods I can get, including organ meats and seaweed, eggs, etc. I DO love feeling bloated, stuffed and overfed after my daily feast, that might be the key.
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

And you know what? You're not the only person for whom this is true. Whether there is a genetic component or some part of the diet was incomplete, or maybe you didn't move enough to get hungry enough - I don't know. It might be that you are an ectomorph. It might be that I took an antibiotic at some point and the gut flora I grew back are completely whack. We just don't know enough, except that I am at a very healthy body composition for both strength and longevity, and my hair is thick and full, and I sleep great on very low carb (~50g) while eating about 2000 calories a day of the most affordable and nutrient dense foods I can get, including organ meats and seaweed, eggs, etc. I DO love feeling bloated, stuffed and overfed after my daily feast, that might be the key.
                                see dude? you eat 2k calories and are pretty active and weigh more than me. i eat 3.5k+ to maintain at 150lbs while being sedentary on most days. wouldn't this be a difference in metabolisms, ie; yours has slowed down to accommodate your way of eating? the exact point that i believe choco was inferring. thermic effect of food plays an important physiological role of daily energy expenditure, and thus the amount of calories you need to ingest and the nutrients you need to ingest become greater with higher body temperature.
                                Make America Great Again

Comment

Working...
                                X