Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long is Too Long for a Low Fat Diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long is Too Long for a Low Fat Diet?

I have had some great success on Primal, but I want to lose more weight and I need to cut the fat calories quite a bit. Note that I don't fear fat - I love it! But the calories are adding up.

So I was thinking of spending 2-3 week cycles choosing leaner meats, trimming the visible fat, and choosing roasting or poaching over frying. In between cycles, I'd go back to 2-3 days of Primal (which for me means lots of good fats, oils, fatty pastured meats, sauces etc.) before resuming the short term low fat diet for another 2-3 weeks.

So, how long is too long to be doing this for gallbladder health? I know that gallstones and attacks are usually caused when people go from low fat to high fat, because the low fat damaged their system... At the same time, when in a stall, the recommendation around here it to watch those calories (including fat) so there's a bit of a contradiction. In any case, I expect to continue this lower fat version of Primal for maybe 6 months or so. Nothing too drastic, and of course there's breaks every so often.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

What about just cutting down the amount of fat and continue at that pace? When I stalled on my weight loss I added back some carbs (sweet potato mostly). Also added some simple High intensity sprints a few times a week and went to a 16 hour break** between dinner - brunch. Some people stall because they don't consume enough calories and starvation mode kicks in. Really just requires trial and error on your part.

** I didn't say Intermittent Fast because everyone then jumps in and says it isn't for the ladies.

Comment

We don't need globs of fat all the time but in practice some problems emerge if we go too low. Fat aids protein digestion and slows starch uptake (usually a good thing) and it's an indivisible part of liver, egg yolks, omega-3 fish, etc. SFA intake also plays an important role in HDL and certain hormone synthesis.

Overall I'd focus on the "nothing too drastic" part and make the obvious cuts like creamy desserts and beverages, oil dressings, and the like.
      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

I think your plan would work indefinitely. Long ago I stopped eating a high fat primal diet because my partner is not primal and doesn't want to eat fatty things. I prefer my foods to be lighter anyway. I do not avoid fat, I simply eat it less frequently and usually when I feel like I need it or want it.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Thanks, everyone... Cutting back alone isn't cutting it (haha) and I would really like to see some progress so I do plan to do a leaner version of Primal temporarily. Feeling better is all well and good, but I am done being fat and it is time for the last of my weight to come off. It doesn't need to take years. It can be quicker. I will make it happen.

I do IF naturally. Not forced. My IF's are often quite a bit longer than 16 hours though. I just eat when I am hungry.

As I said, it has gone well so far but I am ready for some more drastic weight loss results over the short term. I do know leaning stuff down does work. At the same time, I don't want to compromise my health. Not worried about a few months of fat soluable vitamins, etc etc... People live in a state of vitamin deficiency for DECADES. No, I mean strictly gallbladder health and that is pretty well it for now. I will get back to my fat soluable vitamin concerns when I can fit into my clothes properly.

Comment

By the way, I don't do desserts or drink any calories whatsoever. My stalling is coming from too many meat fat calories. That is it.

Comment

One day.

Comment

Originally posted by GrokON View Post
                By the way, I don't do desserts or drink any calories whatsoever. My stalling is coming from too many meat fat calories. That is it.
                So you're going to reduce your fast intake to reduce your overall calorie intake? Or do you just think you're not losing fat because you're getting too many calories from animal fat, so you're going to reduce fat calories and replace them with equal calories from another source?
                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                  So you're going to reduce your fast intake to reduce your overall calorie intake? Or do you just think you're not losing fat because you're getting too many calories from animal fat, so you're going to reduce fat calories and replace them with equal calories from another source?
                  Overall calories. No need to replace them with calories from another source - I would be preparing the same meals, just taking the skin off the baked chicken, or trimming the fat off the steak (and choosing leaner cuts) as well as broiling or grilling instead of my current usual frying...

ETA: Also cutting the extras like butter out of the veggies for a while, etc. Seriously nothing too drastic - but when you choose the lean meats and cook them without added fat, it becomes a low fat diet. I just want to make sure I won't get a gallbladder attack when I go back to Primal for a few days every so often.
                  Last edited by GrokON; 09-27-2013, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Have you had a gallbladder attack before?
                    The gallbladder stores bile, if your not eating fat then bile is stored. Your body many take a bit to adjust to you not eating as much fat & you may end up with a bloated feeling or discomfort on your right hand side around the edges of your rib cage.

Comment

It depends on what you mean by low fat. Most lean meats still come with a decent amount of fat.

Example: 95/5 ground beef is 5% fat by weight.

However, in ten ounces, you have 14.2 grams of fat. 14.2 grams x 9 calories per gram ~ 128 calories from fat. There are a total of about 388 calories, so 128/388 = .33 or 33% of calories from fat.

So, if all you do is to decrease added fat, but still eat healthy meats, fish, and eggs, you can keep decent fat levels so your skin and hair and brain don't start to dysfunction. The issue really is the CW definition of lowfat with its boiled boneless, skinless chicken breasts, baked tilapia, egg white omelets, and zero fat substitutes for real food. That can get you thin, but it won't keep you healthy.

Skipping chicken skin, even if your chickens are the happiest, running around the pasture eating bugz 'n' worms chickens won't kill you. And if it's CAFO chicken, tossing the skin will probably help your overall health.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Does your signature on the bottom say you are 5'6" and 120lbs or is that your goal weight?

That goal weight is too low for the majority of women on this planet.
                        sigpic
                        Age 48
                        Start date: 7-5-12
                        5'3"
                        121lbs
                        GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                        Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Nope, never had a gallbladder attack before. I would like to keep it that way. Doesn't run in my family, either, so I am pretty low risk I guess.

I will definitely keep up with the overall definition of Primal (no egg white omelettes here, thanks!)

120lbs is absolutely not too low of a goal weight for me. I am not sure why you would conclude that.

Comment

Do you or your family have a history of medical issues with the gallbladder? If not, I don't see any reason to cut back on the low carb, high fat diet. Eat fat, get thin.

Comment

IMHO, Your plan for lower fat is fine. For some they need the high fat to feel satiated. If that isn't the case with you then fine.
                              As to your goal weight, my wife is 5'6" and while she has been as low as 120lbs, she found it easier to maintain at 130 of so. Appearance wise, I couldn't see any difference. Composition (percent bodyfat), will have more an effect on appearance than weight. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X