Wife not losing weight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife not losing weight

Hi all. After two weeks of holding above 80% to Mark's plan my wife has not seen a weight loss. She just turned 52, 137 lbs, 5'2", regularly exercises, and has been told she has a slow metabolism. During the same time, I've lost 4lbs.

Any thoughts to get her rolling! She's so frustrated

-Post or pre menopausal?
    -What kind of exercise & how often?
    -How is sleep/energy levels? Any digestive issues?
    -Another other medical issues? On any medication?
    -Can you give us an example of a day's worth of her meals?
    Depression Lies

Comment

post-menopause. She walk/jogs; takes crossfit classes; has added some weights - pulldowns, curls, kickbacks, ... We've added more sleep since starting, about 8 hours though tired upon rising. No digestive or other health issues.

Meals -
      Breakfast: 3 eggs, bacon, 2 cups of coffee or just has banana or skips
      Lunch: Smoothie, low sodium chicken great on lettuce, veggie burger, or skips
      Dinner: selection from Primal cookbooks
      Snacks: nuts (maybe too many?), fruit

Not considering portion sizes at all though not binging.

Comment

Perhaps others will have thoughts but...

-Give it time. Focus on improving sleep & sticking with healthy, filling foods.
        -She is very active, from what it sounds like. Is she eating *enough*? Hungry in between meals or before bedtime? She might benefit from some starchy carbs to help re-fuel from workouts (or to help sleep).
        -I would say eliminate the nuts and make sure meals are big enough that snacking is less desirable or necessary.
        -Can't really assess how much she might need/want to lose weight based on the info here, since you said she's quite active. Any idea what her lean muscle mass is or body fat %?

Everybody has a lot of variables to consider and unfortunately, there's no easy answer. It takes tweaking & time. Best of luck!
        Depression Lies

Comment

yep, probably menopause symptoms. Don't be discouraged it will just take a bit longer to get there.

Try to consult a herbalist for some tea that helps the metabolism. I know the good ones have them for menopausal issues.
          My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Thank you both!

Comment

She use to be 20 lbs lighter and stable at the weight. She'd like to get close to that again.

Comment

wife.jpg

I'm just happy to be part of a community where this isn't answered with certain death!

I'm going to frame this- no! I'm going to passive-aggressively leave it on the refrigerator door.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_CA View Post
                  Hi all. After two weeks of holding above 80% to Mark's plan my wife has not seen a weight loss. She just turned 52, 137 lbs, 5'2", regularly exercises, and has been told she has a slow metabolism. During the same time, I've lost 4lbs.

Any thoughts to get her rolling! She's so frustrated
                  It's probabl a bit harder when you start out at 137 lbs... I started at 340. I would second other people and say to get rid of the nuts, they can be easy to overeat. Other than that she should probably focus a bit more on how she's feeling rather than numbers on a scale. I feel great!
                  Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

I am 43 years old mother of two kids under six. I've been following Paleo eating lifestyle for about 4 weeks now At about 80 to 85% accuracy and I have not lost 1 pound! But my face looks thinner the inflammation in my body has gone my joints feel better. Someone else on the forum told me about upping my potassium magnesium and sodium because I still was getting the headaches and feeling really tired and I feel like that has really helped in these last few days, and hopefully weight-loss will come. Someone else told me to not get on the scale but measure my body and look at inches as opposed to pounds. It's kind of frustrating because obviously when we change to a healthier lifestyle we want to see those physical results which is weight-loss and better energy etc. etc. Just tell your wife to be patient and hang in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_CA View Post
                      post-menopause. She walk/jogs; takes crossfit classes; has added some weights - pulldowns, curls, kickbacks, ... We've added more sleep since starting, about 8 hours though tired upon rising. No digestive or other health issues.

Meals -
                      Breakfast: 3 eggs, bacon, 2 cups of coffee or just has banana or skips
                      Lunch: Smoothie, low sodium chicken great on lettuce, veggie burger, or skips
                      Dinner: selection from Primal cookbooks
                      Snacks: nuts (maybe too many?), fruit

Not considering portion sizes at all though not binging.
                      Veggie burger? Is it homemade or prepackaged?

Potential problems:
                      -not enough protein. Seems full of carbs and fat combos and the listen protein isn't that high quality.
                      -either cut carbs or cut fat. She seems to be eating a high carb (fruit, veggies)+ high fat (PUFA PUFA PUFA in bacon/nuts), low protein from the limited information you gave. High carb high fat is closer to conventional than primal eating.
                      -nuts. Cut it. Just do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                      ------
                      HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

This may be a little bit out there but....

If she is post-menopause, it could have something to do with her progesterone level being too low. It really declines as we age and most post-menopausal women can diet and eat clean all they want and not lose any weight.

You might want to research a natural or bio-identical form of it.

Just my 2 cents
                        Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
                          This may be a little bit out there but....

If she is post-menopause, it could have something to do with her progesterone level being too low. It really declines as we age and most post-menopausal women can diet and eat clean all they want and not lose any weight.

You might want to research a natural or bio-identical form of it.

Just my 2 cents
                          This is a good point. Dong quai or Vitex are good herbal options for raising progesterone levels. I have read that dong quai is more successful for post menopausal women (I used Vitex, but I am hopefully very pre-menopausal).
                          Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                            This is a good point. Dong quai or Vitex are good herbal options for raising progesterone levels. I have read that dong quai is more successful for post menopausal women (I used Vitex, but I am hopefully very pre-menopausal).
                            Progesterone is even beneficial for pre-menopausal women who suffer from PMS or PMDD. And from what I've read, you can use it in conjunction with dong quai.

Comment

If OP is interested:

Progestelle looks to be one of the best I've come across: Progesterone Cream Oil SPECIALTY Progestelle PRESERVATIVE FREE - Women's Therape has a lot of info on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X