Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
    hundreds of thousands of millions survive every year
    Looks like a little too many people ... 100 x 1000 x 1000000 = 100 billions no ?

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
      Looks like a little too many people ... 100 x 1000 x 1000000 = 100 billions no ?
      hyperbole  hy·per·bo·le/haɪˈpɜrbəli/ Show Spelled [hahy-pur-buh-lee]
      noun Rhetoric .
      1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
      2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
        If it turns a few violent offenders into docile livestock, I'm okay with it. Anyone serving less than a year should be okay.
        The USA (supposedly a free country) has 5% of the world's population and 25% of the world's total prison population (I don't think that includes city and county jails). Over 50% of our prison population is in prison for non-violent crimes and that are, more often than not, consensual crimes, usually drug related.

The War on Drugs, like every other "War on" that the US has waged has become an utter failure but because there is so much money in it, it will continue on a large scale.

If you are against the legalization of drugs, you are in the company of the drug dealers. Legalizing drugs would take the profits away from them.

You are also in the company of police/sheriff's departments, the (lack of ) justice system in general, the private corporations that have a vested interest in keeping drugs illegal and various other nefarious groups.

I don't do drugs, legal or otherwise, but it is not the government's place to tell me what I can, and cannot, put into my body.
        Randal
        AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
        Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
        http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
          The USA (supposedly a free country) has 5% of the world's population and 25% of the world's total prison population (I don't think that includes city and county jails). Over 50% of our prison population is in prison for non-violent crimes and that are, more often than not, consensual crimes, usually drug related.

The War on Drugs, like every other "War on" that the US has waged has become an utter failure but because there is so much money in it, it will continue on a large scale.

If you are against the legalization of drugs, you are in the company of the drug dealers. Legalizing drugs would take the profits away from them.

You are also in the company of police/sheriff's departments, the (lack of ) justice system in general, the private corporations that have a vested interest in keeping drugs illegal and various other nefarious groups.

I don't do drugs, legal or otherwise, but it is not the government's place to tell me what I can, and cannot, put into my body.
          You're preaching to the choir. And I feel the same way about any sex (paid or not) between consenting adults, and of course gambling. I've yet to see the politician/lawmaker who I thought was intelligent or moral enough to make rules/laws to which I should adhere on these issues.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Not the first to do this, and he'll likely get sued for it, if this has any kind of precedent to it: Soy diet prompts prisoners' lawsuit - Washington Times

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
              You're preaching to the choir. And I feel the same way about any sex (paid or not) between consenting adults, and of course gambling. I've yet to see the politician/lawmaker who I thought was intelligent or moral enough to make rules/laws to which I should adhere on these issues.
              Funny story. I was big into internet poker when it was all cool (pre black friday). Anyhow, when they did their deal to get the big poker rooms I wrote my congressman, governor, senate guys, all that stuff. Every one of em sent back this fluff about how he is against gambling of this sort because of the devastating effects it has on families.... blah blah blah..... morality bullshit. So as I sit reading the now governors heart felt message on the dangers of gambling I glance up at the TV where a commercial is running about my states NEW scratch off poker lottery ticket. The ad states... "no poker skills necessary to win big".... Holy hell! They ban poker on the premise of it not being a game of "skill", but a gamble, then turn around and do a freaking scratch off for the state! What sort of numbskull, loser, hypocrite, jackass, morons get elected to office you ask?

Comment

There is nothing good about prison. Did you know you can go to prison and they do not have to let you out when your sentence is up? Did you know the guards can beat and rape you and there's pretty much nothing you can do about it? And whatever you do, don't get into a situation where you need medical care while in prison.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post

+1,000!

And, lol, NH! That's hilarious. They're against gambling unless they're running it, in which case, they're all for it!
                  Last edited by diene; 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM.

My journal

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    hyperbole  hy·per·bo·le/haɪˈpɜrbəli/ Show Spelled [hahy-pur-buh-lee]
                    noun Rhetoric .
                    1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
                    2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”
                    my hero, i'll get around to getting you a bacon bouquet some time
                    beautiful
                    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                    lol

Comment

I wonder if the prison system is a racket: another excuse for the government to tax people.

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have ideas for how to rehabilitate prisoners without costing the tax payer money?
                      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

What's wrong with the god ol' bread and water for the inmates? Now they will be tortured with broccoli and carrots instead…
                        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                          I wonder if the prison system is a racket: another excuse for the government to tax people.

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have ideas for how to rehabilitate prisoners without costing the tax payer money?
                          Well, considering that a lot of prisons are actually for-profit companies that lobby the government, and also have the most powerful union members in the US (prison guard unions, also lobbying the government), then yes, it is a racket.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Imprisonment is violence
                            Make America Great Again

Comment

Saw that this morning as well. I have little sympathy for the inmates, but it's certainly added incentive to follow the law.
                              High Weight: 225
                              Weight at start of Primal: 189
                              Current Weight: 174
                              Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post

Actually trying to rehabilitate prisoners would be a good start. I think that Sweden does a pretty good job of it.
                                Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                                5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                                Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                                TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                                bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Working...
                                X