X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts.... How much are allowed?

Hi all,

Just a quick question re nuts......

Found myself snacking on them normally before bedtime..... How many nuts is too much? Should I be eating them daily?

Cheers all

You big trying to get small? Small trying to get big? Nuts are crazy easy to overeat, because they're very, very calorie-dense.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

A handful of almonds is about 1/3 cup, yielding 275 cal, 23g fat, 10g protein, 30g carb

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

I'm big trying to get small. Have around a handful a day mixed nuts and some dried fruit like cran berries....

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigolfer39 View Post
          I'm big trying to get small. Have around a handful a day mixed nuts and some dried fruit like cran berries....
          Individuals vary but I gain waist fat rapidly on exactly those nonhydrous foods. I save them for party recipes.
          37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

No way could I lose eating nuts and dried fruit. Save them for hiking fuel, or as treats on weekends.
            5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

I never eat nuts just because of the huge omega-6 load and that's horrible because I can binge on them so dam easily... Ugh.

But really, as long as you're achieving your health goals, try not to overthink it too much.
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Can we have dehydrated fruits without additional sugar added?

Comment

Originally posted by Muffa View Post
                  Can we have dehydrated fruits without additional sugar added?
                  You can eat way more dehydrated fruit than fresh. You could probably down a dozen dry apricots, but only one or two fresh apricots. This is why we eat our food whole and fresh. Dried fruit isn't UNPRIMAL - just think of it as Primal candy.
                  5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

Reminds me of the thread about what the optimal amount of coconut oil / day would be.
                    I will say the same thing here: 0. You don't need them. Actually, if you feel like snacking on them every evening before bed time, you sort of know it is not for nutrition unless you are starving yourself before that. You do this because of some form of pleasure that you derive from it. There is nothing wrong with treating yourself. You just have to know that you are not feeding yourself but treating yourself, and these nuts are not needed at all. It is your choice and nobody should tell you how much you can snack on. It is all a matter of awareness - knowledge vs instant pleasure - compulsive behavior. Sometimes it is good to take a little distance from compulsion, sometimes it is good to give in

Comment

If you're trying to lose, my advice is to cut out the snacking completely, much less the nuts and dried fruits. Those are ridiculously high in calories and so easy to overeat.
                      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I kicked the nut habit after reading Paul Jaminet's words that the omega-6s in them make you fat beyond their already high calories. I don't need that! Giving them up was a change for the better, because, yes indeed, they were so easy to overeat. I'm better off not going there.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigolfer39 View Post
                          Handful a day shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Calories do matter, but nuts tend to be sneaky because they leave you hungry and make you end up eating more calories (for some people!). When I was new, trying to quit soda and snacks, I used a LOT of nuts, mainly almonds, to replace basically every snack I had. So I walked around with a feedbag of almonds for a few weeks and actually gained a bit of weight - but I also became more efficient at digesting fat (which, most would say, I hope, makes the body better at utilizing its own fat), and when I got serious, it was easy to quit me feedbag habit and the weight melted off. Knowing what I know now, I'd rather have done that with bacon or something, lol. Probably would have become a better "fat digester" in shorter time.

For maintenance, I only eat nuts once a week on grocery day for the most part. That's how fattening they are to me.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Be careful about a "handful" a day. One ounce of almonds is over 150 calories, which is not even close to a handful depending on the size of your hand. You could be consuming 200-300 calories or more in a true handful. In comparison, you could have 8 to 12 ounces of chicken breast in exchange for those nuts. Sure, chicken breast isn't nearly as tasty, but the volume of the chicken breast and satiety is what might help you more when you are trying to lose.

Comment

Working...
                              X