The myth of “a broken metabolism”…

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
    That depends on how many women know about your ability to impregnate with the power of thought...
    Tales of my abilities seem to spread like wildfire. I'd rather you not go broadcasting these things all over the internet though. Thanks.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
      Not disagreeing with you, because I couldn't possibly estimate how many people have hormonal imbalances.
      When a person gets fat there will be hormonal changes, it creates a hormonal imbalance because that prepares the human body for a period with less or no food! And the same with a person that got very lean, it prepares the body for a period of eating and gaining weight and the hormones are following patterns of body fat levels! Hormones are secondary and most people should stop focusing on them IMO…
      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Your metabolic rate can slow down just like any other bodily process can be up- or down-regulated. Here's a quote from someone I respect, Jordan Feigenbaum:
        Thing 1: With calorie restriction, which is needed to lose weight, your metabolism slows down.

Thing 2: If your conditioning is mostly LISS, your metabolism slows down, i.e. you become more efficient at creating energy (no, this is not good). The current thinking on this mechanism has to do with reduced expression of uncoupling proteins in the mitochondria, which normally make the mitochondrial less efficient at creating energy (ATP).

So, imagine all the typical cardio bunnies starving themselves and doing hours of cardio on the elliptical; low intensity mind you because how are you supposed to read Elle magazine when you’re doing HIIT? Their metabolisms are slowing down from both ends and then boom, a big blowout weekend (or week) and what happens? Lots of fat deposition because their metabolisms are so depressed it’s the only thing that can happen. Yes Virginia, their BMR will increase transiently due to the “refeed” of a hypercaloric couple of days, but lots of adipose tissue will also get stored.
        When Should You Do Conditioning? | thefitcoach <-- He's got some advice for how to deal with it in here. He is a coach but he's also going to med school.

It's pretty common, especially for women, to really hose their metabolism by doing too much low intensity cardio and starving themselves. I spent two summers doing 12-14 hours of constant low intensity exercise while in a calorie deficit and got to a point where I was slowly gaining weight. When I quit, my metabolism was so downgraded that I gained tons of weight very quickly.

I looked at photos of what I ate at the start of Primal and it was such a tiny bit of food compared to what I eat now. And I felt guilty for eating as much food as I did then. I never ate any lunch! Now I eat almost a pound of meat every day and usually 3 meals every day. The only long slow cardio I do now is a little hiking now and then.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          Your metabolic rate can slow down just like any other bodily process can be up- or down-regulated. Here's a quote from someone I respect, Jordan Feigenbaum:

When Should You Do Conditioning? | thefitcoach <-- He's got some advice for how to deal with it in here. He is a coach but he's also going to med school.

It's pretty common, especially for women, to really hose their metabolism by doing too much low intensity cardio and starving themselves. I spent two summers doing 12-14 hours of constant low intensity exercise while in a calorie deficit and got to a point where I was slowly gaining weight. When I quit, my metabolism was so downgraded that I gained tons of weight very quickly.

I looked at photos of what I ate at the start of Primal and it was such a tiny bit of food compared to what I eat now. And I felt guilty for eating as much food as I did then. I never ate any lunch! Now I eat almost a pound of meat every day and usually 3 meals every day. The only long slow cardio I do now is a little hiking now and then.
          +1. Jordan Feigenbaum is the Feiggin' Bomb.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
            No, and NO! You got it all in reverse; most people, almost everybody with an hormonal disorder, have hormonal imbalances because they are sedentary and/or overweight! Someone has been telling you lies here YogaBare...
            This is not my experience. I was active and within normal range for weight when thyroid disease hit. I was kept under-medicated for 8+ years. Not being optimally treated caused a myriad of issues-- weight gain, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, fatigue, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
              This is not my experience. I was active and within normal range for weight when thyroid disease hit. I was kept under-medicated for 8+ years. Not being optimally treated caused a myriad of issues-- weight gain, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, fatigue, etc.
              No. Cannot be true. You must have lied or forgotten about the cookies and doughnuts.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                Can't you ever just say "ha ha, good one, bro?"
                It just wasn't that good
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

When I hear the words "broken metabolism" I think of jimmy moore and his chronic delusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                    I dunno, I just feel bad for us, womenfolk. Eating 800 cals a day, at age 50, and a height of 5'6", while on antibiotics for an infection and still working out 45 min a day. And still being overweight, while the 'coach' gloats over how eating more is not a good idea. Might as well sock him in the eye and go eat doughnuts.
                    LOL ++1 hate it when I got to the gym and a coach half my age who eats his own weight in food daily starts lecturing me about my food and how I can lose my weight ..... btw there are a few peeps on this forum do the same thing, guys in their early twenties, going round stating what they do and work for them as a gospel and thinking if it works for them it must work for EVERYONE else !!!

Comment

A metabolism cannot be broken, it copes with a given input at all times. Either you are nice with it, or you challenge it. Of course, if you have a serious disease compromising the normal metabolic functions, that is another story.

Comment

People like to think of themselves as special little snowflakes all too often, and think they are exempt from the rules. While undoubtedly some people do have real metabolic or hormone related problems, I imagine most of the detractors are just lazy/delusional. Like the obese person who walks for 10 minutes on a treadmill, treat themselves to an ice cream as a reward, then claim they aren't losing weight so it must be their genetics.
                        http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by Hotmail View Post
                          LOL ++1 hate it when I got to the gym and a coach half my age who eats his own weight in food daily starts lecturing me about my food and how I can lose my weight ..... btw there are a few peeps on this forum do the same thing, guys in their early twenties, going round stating what they do and work for them as a gospel and thinking if it works for them it must work for EVERYONE else !!!
                          One of the reasons I rarely come to this site anymore is the judgmental positions of the peeps you mention who tell me that my experience didn't happen and was likely just a result of my not moving enough and stuffing myself. It is arrogant.
                          Starting Weight: 197.5
                          Current Weight: 123
                          Far healthier!

Comment

Working...
                          X