Eating Low Carb for 1 year, and can't lose last 20 pounds of fat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Low Carb for 1 year, and can't lose last 20 pounds of fat

I have been eating low carb for the past year, and although I have lost weight, my body fat is still 38%, and I seem stuck here. I just ordered the book, but I have questions about some of the things I've read on the website.

Being perimenopausal, I have hormone issues and am on bio-identical hormone replacement, which causes difficulty losing weight.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Also, is dairy "off the table" in this way of eating?
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

sigpic

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Even though I eat the way I see this website is suggesting, if I eat over 45-50 carbs per day, I gain weight.
      Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Begin with eating as the Primal Blueprint lays out. Do not cheat. Any cheats only delay weight loss, especially if you are not very active. Give it a few weeks and report back.

Comment

Welcome!

Every body is different -- the recommendations on the web site (and in the book) are intended to work for most of the people most of the time, but as you've seen there is some variation.

Some people can tolerate dairy and some can't. I'd suggest cutting it out completely for a month and see what happens. I am not too sure about perimenopausal issues (not quite there yet, but I can see it from here, so I should find out!) so I hope someone knowledgeable will drop in with some info. It certainly sounds like there might be some hidden factor that is holding you back.

Good luck, and welcome!

Comment

I think the thing is that I am already eating the way the book suggests, and am unable to lose weight. :0}
            Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Diane! I am anxious to get the book to see if there are any variances in the way I already eat. I have no problem cutting out the cheese, because I eat very little of it now - maybe 2 ounces per week, if that. But I do use a couple of fluid ounces of heavy cream each day. Should I cut that out, too?
              Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

How about a complete one day menu? I find it easier myself to generally eat the same stuff day in and day out, but I realize most people insist on variety. To me, it's just fuel. I've never ate because I liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by RezH View Post
                  How about a complete one day menu? I find it easier myself to generally eat the same stuff day in and day out, but I realize most people insist on variety. To me, it's just fuel. I've never ate because I liked it.
                  I am trying to get back to eating this way............I never liked to eat before, but I liked to cook. Some where over the years, my inlaws told me that I needed to eat and enjoy it..............LOL. Then I got hormone issues, diabetes and depression, thought you were supposed to be fat and happy.......

Comment

Here is what I ate yesterday, which is a pretty good example of the way I typically eat from day to day:

Breakfast
                    2 scrambled eggs with 1 Tbs. heavy cream, 0.8 oz. brick cheese, 1 Tbs. butter, 1/8 tsp. ground turmeric and 1/8 tsp. sea salt
                    3 slices nitrate-free bacon
                    3.3 oz. raw tomatoes with 1/16 tsp.sea salt

Lunch
                    6.2 oz. (raw weight) grilled ground sirloin, 1 Tbs. butter and 1/8 tsp. sea salt
                    Salad - 3 oz. romaine lettuce, 2 oz. Haas avocado, with my homemade olive oil/lime juice/crushed garlic salad dressing (1 Tbs. olive oil, 1/2 Tbs. Realime juice, 1 clove crushed, fresh garlic, 1/8 tsp. onion powder, 3 drops liquid Stevia
                    0.4 oz. psyllium seed husks in water

Dinner
                    6.1 oz. (raw weight) pan fried salmon with 1 Tbs. butter and 1/8 tsp. sea salt
                    2 oz. (raw weight) kale, oven roasted with 1 Tbs. olive oil olive oil and 1/8 tsp. sea salt
                    5.4 oz. raw tomatoes with 1/16 tsp. sea salt

Dessert
                    4 Tbs. heavy cream, whipped, with 3.4 oz. strawberries, 1.5 oz. blueberries, 4 drops Stevia,

1960 calories
                    145.2g fat (66.7%)
                    111.7g protein
                    51.7g carbs
                    21.5g fiber
                    30.2 net carbs, of which 14.1 were from veggies

On the days I don't have psyllium, I have flaxmeal. If I don't get around 21g of fiber per day, I get constipated or have diarrhea. I could add more fiber from veggies, but if I go over 50g carbs, I gqain weight. I am extremely sensitive to carbs, and so is my husband. We have to keep the carbs really low.

I also take a lot of supplements and vitamins, and I drink 72 oz. of water per day.
                    Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Id' also be interested in your current weight, height...if you only have 20 lbs to lose, you may just be consuming too many calories or not burning enough throughout the week.

Also, you list 'net carbs' but the Primal Blueprint does not differentiate between net and gross carbs...so maybe you are getting more than total carbs than necessary.

Comment

I am 5'3" tall and weigh 143 pounds. I only have 13 pounds to lose on the scale to get to my goal, but I need to lose around 20-25 pounds of fat and put on several pounds of muscle to get to a healthy body composition.

I get around 50 total carbs per day. Those are total carbs, not net carbs. 50 total carbs per day is pretty low. That's only a few servings of veggies per day.
                        Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

For the muscle side of things... What does your exercise look like for a typical week?

Comment

I recently had surgery, so I figure I can start again in about a week, but I used to go to the gym 3 times a week and use the full circuit of weight machines, 1 set on each, starting at 5 reps and building to 10, then increase weight again and build again. I also do interval training on the treadmill for about 20 minutes, a few minutes of walking at 2 mph, then a 1 minute burst of fast walking at 4 mph.

So three times per week I do the weight and the treadmill.
                            Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Drat. I got nothing then.

How are you measuring your body fat?

Comment

Working...
                              X