Fermentation noob.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermentation noob.

Im interested in probiotics, and Im debating whether or not to click "checkout" in the store for the primal flora. Can anyone give me advice on making fermented foods that will work with low FODMAP? Or any other advice.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Hi,
    I'm learning too and have dabbled quite a bit. I started a group to gather people on this subject:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/group173.html

I would start by Looking Up Sandor Katz. His books are great. He also has a large presence on Youtube.

thanks

~Jimm

Comment

Thank you, I'll check out your link. Also, I'm glad you gave me an author, because I love reading books on new topics. Double thanks awarded to you!

Comment

Just watched Katz on YouTube. Can I ferment any vegetables? I've had some success with low FODMAP, and cabbage is high FODMAP. Does it matter if the vegetables I ferment are low/high FODMAP?

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaCypher0 View Post
          Just watched Katz on YouTube. Can I ferment any vegetables? I've had some success with low FODMAP, and cabbage is high FODMAP. Does it matter if the vegetables I ferment are low/high FODMAP?
          All veggies contain lactic acid to some degree which is what you need to start the fermentation process. However, some veggies taste wonderful fermented (cabbage, green beans, cucumbers, broccoli etc.) others, (like kale, spinach, etc.) do not taste so good when fermented. If you look at local food traditions and customs when it comes to fermented foods, you'll learn quickly which veggies are good for fermenting and which ones are better off cooked or eaten raw.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
            If you look at local food traditions and customs when it comes to fermented foods, you'll learn quickly which veggies are good for fermenting and which ones are better off cooked or eaten raw.
            Which should take you toward Sally Fallon & the Weston A. Price Foundation.

Glad to be of help!

~Jimm

Comment

i don't like to do extensive reading >_< and am wondering if it's possible to use store-bought saurkraut for fermenting other veggies.

Comment

Originally posted by graceH View Post
                i don't like to do extensive reading >_< and am wondering if it's possible to use store-bought saurkraut for fermenting other veggies.
                Generally no, as most store bought is pasteurized. The pasteurization kills the bacteria that would be useful as a starter. However, you don't need a starter with Lactic acid fermentation, as the bacteria on the veggies will do the work for you. As you don't want to read, check out this video from Sandor Katz as to how to get started:

Fermenting Vegetables with Sandor Katz - YouTube
                turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Comment

I'm not sure but I've read that many people can tolerate veggies fermented that they can't handle as well raw.

I was also experimenting w FODMAP elimination as I saw certain foods causing me GI distress, like almonds (almond meal, so tasty, so sad) or cabbage (excessive cabbage I put in soup).

Anyway, I found I started having more seemingly related food/GI issues after eliminating the fermented cabbage so I've added that back into my diet.

BTW, I do wild fermentation now (bc I'm out of starter packs) but I saw greater improvement in health when using the starter packs (Body Ecology brand).
                  Carrots are good fermented

Another question for anyone reading this thread:
                  I have tons of brine left over from my last batch of CV (red cabbage, garlic & carrots). I usually drink the brine or use as a dressing but wonder if I can use this to start a new batch?
                  Thx!
                  K

Comment

Originally posted by graceH View Post
                    Probably not a great idea to use store bought fermented stuff as a starter. It's really not all that hard. And you're going to have to do a little reading. Sorry.

For fermenting Cabbage.

10 grams of salt per kg of cabbage.

For other vegetables that have less of their own water, use a 2% mixture

for 1 cup water, add ~5 grams of salt (make sure to submerge the vegetables)

For pickles 3.5% works pretty good - 1 cup of water, ~9 grams salt
                    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Comment

Fermenting veggies is really not hard - just experiment and tweak things to create the flavours you like the most after doing a few basic batches of sauerkraut, kimchi etc....
                      Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                      Primal low: 186 lbs
                      Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                      Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

Hi. Here are a couple of links which give good advice!

http://www.nourishedlivingnetwork.co...rmented-foods/

How to Naturally Culture Vegetables | Basic Instructions for Fermenting Vegetables

You'll find that some recipes that you will come across recommend using whey as an ingredient in your ferment. Here's a pretty good account of why not to use whey!

No Whey? No way! - Pickle Me Too

And I can very much recommend the Harsch fermenting crock

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harsch-Gairt.../dp/B000H6PB0Q

which I find gives excellent results. Also pickle-it jars

Pickl-It

And if you find they are hard to get (impossible here in UK), here is how to make one yourself!

Homemade fermentation jar for use making kimch, saurkraut & kombucha

Obviously, sauerkraut is a brilliant fermented food to make, gingered carrots are lovely, and I'm about to make some dill green beans. The only failure I've had so far was dill cucumbers. And I did those before I had the Harsch crock and home made fermentation jars. They went really soggy, slimy and stank. Yuk!

Good luck with your new hobby (which can easily become an obsession!)

Comment

Anyone here have luck using whey for CV's?
                          I have used started and Wild, both overall successful (have tossed a few batches).
                          I tried whey (from raw milk kefir made w kefir grains) and I didn't think it smelled right after day 3 (tossed). I used a glass hg jar and an airlock lid so i don't think it got contaminated. It was extra hot & humid here, so maybe a temp thing, idk.
                          Any input appreciated
                          K

Comment

I posted a link in the post above yours which specifically deals with why NOT to use whey in cultured veggies. Here it is again.

No Whey? No way! - Pickle Me Too

Comment

Thanks breadsauce,
                              I just read the No Whey info, very informative!
                              I did start a batch if sour kraut yesterday and added in some brine from a former batch which I'd never done before (and now kind of wish I hadn't).
                              It's green cabbage and the former was purple so now my green cabbage looks a funny sickly pink ;(
                              May toss and start over....
                              Always learning!!!!
                              K

Comment

Working...
                              X