Birthday treat for someone with IBS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday treat for someone with IBS

I have a colleague who suffers from IBS, and it happens to be her birthday this week. She mentioned her love for cupcakes once, so I was thinking I'd love to bring in some kind of yummy treat for her.

I don't know much about IBS, although I understand that Gluten and Dairy typically need to be avoided. So I'm wondering, if I was to make some sort of Paleo dessert (cupcakes using coconut flour, etc.), is there any other ingredients that I should most likely avoid?

I would not use coconut flour because it has a lot of fiber, and for some with IBS it can cause a flare.

I would sub coconut oil for the butter in recipes. Bob's Red Mill makes a great chocolate cake mix that is gluten/dairy free. We have used it successfully. You could make a swiss meringue frosting (egg whites, sugar, vanilla) and that would be tasty!

Comment

Hmmm. Ok, that's helpful! I'm looking at a few Paleo recipes online and most include coconut flour. I wonder if I could use almond flour instead....

For example:
      ¼ cups Coconut Flour
      ¼ cups Cacao Powder
      ¼ teaspoons Celtic Sea Salt
      ¼ teaspoons Baking Soda
      4 whole Eggs
      ¼ cups Coconut Oil
      ⅓ cups Honey

Any other issues in there?

Comment

Actually, this one looks even yummier!

cupcakes:
        1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
        1/4 teaspoon salt
        1/8 teaspoon baking soda
        Seeds scraped from half a vanilla bean
        1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
        3 large eggs
        1/4 cup coconut oil
        1/4 cup honey

icing:
        8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
        3 tablespoons honey
        1 tablespoon cocoa
        Tiny pinch of salt
        1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
        1/4 teaspoon finely ground coffee

thoughts??

Comment

Coconut flour is very fibrous so that can be bad too, but honestly, I think it'll be less disastrous than a regular cupcake.
          Depression Lies

Comment

Just make flourless chocolate cake...

Or coconut cream ice cream.

You can also look at vegan desserts such as a cashew "cheesecake" with coconut oil and medjool date crust.

Note: Gluten-free flour is better than coconut or nut flour for someone with IBS. Too much fiber otherwise.
            ------
            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
              +1. I've taken a flourless chocolate cake recipe and made mini cupcakes before, it worked well. The minis would likely be better than full sized cupcakes, though - the cake is so dense and rich a big cupcake would be too much, whereas two minis would be just right.

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post

Or coconut cream ice cream.

You can also look at vegan desserts such as a cashew "cheesecake" with coconut oil and medjool date crust.

Note: Gluten-free flour is better than coconut or nut flour for someone with IBS. Too much fiber otherwise.
                Good ideas. If by gluten-free flour you mean rice/tapioca/potato mix, that is probably true. I am just a special flour who can't deal with starches (and probably not their flours either).
                Depression Lies

Comment

Am I the only one who read the thread title and thought "fecal transplant donation?" Lord, I hope so. There's probably something wrong with me.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I would find out what their diet is like now. There are some really delicious gluten-free/grain-free brownie recipes out there. I'm also a fan of King Arthur gluten-free cake mixes. They are seriously better than any gluten cake I have ever had (I use coconut oil to make them)

Anyway... IBS is a vague term. Could be anything from acid reflux to explosive diarrhea and a million things in between and virtually unlimited triggers. Oranges could upset one person's stomach while another might react to eggs or coffee or milk or gluten or... you get the point. I would ask.
                    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

For my bday I actually made my own cake bc it would have been so cost-prohibitive to find a clean, gluten free, vegan (animal rights friends) cake for my 30 person brunch.

It was a 3- tier coconut cake made with coconut milk/oil/sugar, vanilla bean, & gluten free flour. The icing was whipped coconut cream with confectioner's sugar, vanilla bean. The entire cake was dusted with tons of coconut flakes.

It was amazing. People raved. I ate cake for dinner 2 days straight and I rarely care for baked goods nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                      ------
                      HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

How about honoring her with flowers instead of food?
                        Sandra
                        *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                          Am I the only one who read the thread title and thought "fecal transplant donation?" Lord, I hope so. There's probably something wrong with me.
                          Bwahahha
                          Depression Lies

Comment

Being sensitive to gluten and dairy, I hate it when people bake for me. You can never be sure if they read the ingredients properly, cleaned all equipment well etc. I feel very stressed if I eat it, and they usually feel offended if I don't.

A non food gift is much more appreciated. A flower from the garden. A handmade card. A balloon tied to her desk when she gets in. Anything to just acknowledge that you thought of her.

Comment

Great suggestions. I might try the flourless cake!

I agree - it would be much simpler to give her something non food related but recently she was talking about how she's trying a new diet out but she doesn't care on her birthday and she MUST have a cupcake. So I figure it would be nice to at least try to make her one that might not be the worst thing ever for her.

Thanks, everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X