please help me... it's my hair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help me... it's my hair

I started eating Primal last spring. I have never been much of a fruit eater and so my carb levels were really low. I often had to eat avocados just to get to 50 carbs per day. I was enjoying the IF'ing too. I would often go without eating for long periods and would thrive. My skin and eyes are clear, bright and glowing. I really thought this was my pathway to health. Then all of a sudden my hair started coming out in clumps in the shower. When I brush it, it sheds all over the place. Right now, I am to the point where I am pulling my hair back in a bun everyday because I am so embarrassed by the condition of my stringy hair :*(

Does this undoubtedly mean I have a thyroid problem?

Last fall, pre-primal, I saw my regular doctor and blood tests showed a normal thyroid level. Now, desperate to do something to fix my hair, I started taking a 1/3 bit of an Iodoral pill daily. But what if I don't even have a thyroid problem? I don't know what to do. There is so much conflicting and scary information on the web regarding iodine that I can't even begin to sort through it all.

I am really in a pit.

hi julie,

i too have/am experiencing this and think there are a host of things that contribute. Without trying to sound trite or blase, I'd say the best thing you can do right this second is take a big breath. Stress about and around this frightening symptom is only going to aggravate your cortisol.

be ready; people are going to ask you: what are your macros, iron, calories, a whole day of food breakdown and hormones. There are alot of informed folks who can speak more specifically to this so...take a breath. And I'm right there with you, trying to figure it out!

FWIW, I've noticed I was super-deficient in protein (even by minimum standards), was low on iron and probably had exacerbated my cortisol levels horribly. Also wasn't keeping an eye on my Omega 3's as I used to, nor was I getting solid iodine (I take kelp powder now). All of these things coupled w/ high stress for a couple years can make for the perfect storm.

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

Sending a huge hug... it feels so good to hear from someone who has been there. Thanks for the info.

How long has it been for you and how is your hair now?

Comment

Some extra info about me:

5' 4.5" 120 lbs

Macros:
        FAT- 67%
        Protein- 20%
        Carbs- 13%

IRON: I do not have levels but last fall (pre-primal) they were just barely on the low side of normal.

Calories: Weekdays I ate around 1200 calories. Friday evenings are date nights with husband where cocktails and excessive calories are always involved.

Hormones? Not sure how to answer this. I can tell you I've always been very regular but since Primal my periods are 2-3 weeks late.

I run 3-4 miles 4 or 5 days a week and resistance training 2-3 days.

I usually drink 3 cups of coffee a day.
        Last edited by JULIEQUICKrunner; 09-22-2013, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Eat more. Especially liver. Aim for 3000 calories if you are actually, truly, somehow running this much. Run less.
          Last edited by Knifegill; 09-22-2013, 04:58 PM.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Iron might be low. Eat more red meat. You are also eating wayyy too few calories. Hair and etc could suffer if your body has zero calories to maintain itself. Running 4-5mi probably burns... 500 cals? You should be eating closer to 1500-1600.

Get your thyroid & iron levels checked. Better to come back to this forum with definitive test results...
            Last edited by turquoisepassion; 09-22-2013, 05:10 PM.
            ------
            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

I have iron-deficiency anemia and have been losing hair the same way you describe ever since. Do a thorough hormone and metabolic panel. You don't want to guess what's going on. Zone in on what it is to properly correct it. In the meantime, eat a diet that supports thyroid health.
              | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Eat liver, shellfish and more carbs.
                I have gone through this and I understand the worries. Severe hairloss like that is usually a sign that there is some kind of stress going on inside our bodies. Undereating or consistently eating low-carb for prolonged amount of time are without a doubt stressors. Without meaning to sound harsh, you appear to have been doing both.
                In this situation I would seriously consider increasing carbs (that's what I did).

Having your hormones checked is a good idea too.

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                  Iron might be low. Eat more red meat. You are also eating wayyy too few calories. Hair and etc could suffer if your body has zero calories to maintain itself. Running 4-5mi probably burns... 500 cals? You should be eating closer to 1500-1600.

Get your thyroid & iron levels checked. Better to come back to this forum with definitive test results...
                  This. A friend has this problem recently and she was severely anemic and after talking to her I think she was eating too little in general. Check those things.

Comment

Originally posted by JulieRUNS View Post

5' 4.5" 120 lbs

Macros:
                    FAT- 67%
                    Protein- 20%
                    Carbs- 13%

IRON: I do not have levels but last fall (pre-primal) they were just barely on the low side of normal.

Calories: Weekdays I ate around 1200 calories. Friday evenings are date nights with husband where cocktails and excessive calories are always involved.

Hormones? Not sure how to answer this. I can tell you I've always been very regular but since Primal my periods are 2-3 weeks late.

*whistles* Everyone had already said, but I'll add my voice... 1,200 calories is WAY too low. Even if you were completely sedentary that would be low. If you're running and training on top of it, you're starving yourself. If you don't like fruits I would recommend potatoes and white rice. For that kind of exertion you could use more carbs. Red meat would be great too. Good luck!
                    Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

5' 4.5" 120 lbs

Macros:
                      FAT- 67%
                      Protein- 20%
                      Carbs- 13%

Im sorry if this is gunna sound blunt but....

You have the carb crash trifecta.

Low Carb, Low Calorie, lots of Exertion, is a recipe for metabolic disaster. You need carb refeeds, If your IFing you need days of high calorie eating. Really importantly you need rest days when you do nuthin strenuous (go for a half hour stroll or something). Your under pressure metabolism is also dealing with lots of alcohol on the week ends too (probably very stressful for your body).

Seriously you are paleoing too hard and I hope it hasn't caused you long term damage. Eat lots of good food, get plenty of rest, stay happy and take the pressure off, your body will reward you with great recomposition. You can still do all those things you've been doing but only for half a week or less, NOT EVERY FRIKKIN DAY. The rest of the week just stay cool and relaxed a do nuthing hard. I'll explain why:

Low cals, Intermittent fasting, 5+ kms jogs, heavy lifting, low carbs are all challenges/stressors to your body. We "give' our bodies these challenges/stresses because it forces adaptation from our body and we get a better version of ourselfs every time we overcome these stresses on the body. There is one majorly important factor to this that alot of people forget tho. You need to rest the cells/systems that where used to over come the stress in order for them to adapt (make a better version of themselfs). If you don't the cells/systems start suffering chronically and will lead to reduced capacity or damage.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I hope I have helped.
                      A little primal gem - My Success Story
                      Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

Im sorry if this is gunna sound blunt but....

You have the carb crash trifecta.

Low Carb, Low Calorie, lots of Exertion, is a recipe for metabolic disaster. You need carb refeeds, If your IFing you need days of high calorie eating. Really importantly you need rest days when you do nuthin strenuous (go for a half hour stroll or something). Your under pressure metabolism is also dealing with lots of alcohol on the week ends too (probably very stressful for your body).

Seriously you are paleoing too hard and I hope it hasn't caused you long term damage. Eat lots of good food, get plenty of rest, stay happy and take the pressure off, your body will reward you with great recomposition. You can still do all those things you've been doing but only for half a week or less, NOT EVERY FRIKKIN DAY. The rest of the week just stay cool and relaxed a do nuthing hard. I'll explain why:

Low cals, Intermittent fasting, 5+ kms jogs, heavy lifting, low carbs are all challenges/stressors to your body. We "give' our bodies these challenges/stresses because it forces adaptation from our body and we get a better version of ourselfs every time we overcome these stresses on the body. There is one majorly important factor to this that alot of people forget tho. You need to rest the cells/systems that where used to over come the stress in order for them to adapt (make a better version of themselfs). If you don't the cells/systems start suffering chronically and will lead to reduced capacity or damage.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I hope I have helped.
                        X2, but emphasis on rest and calories, macronutrient ratio may or may not matter depending on X. Either way, yes. A proper wake-up call.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Not harsh at all... thanks. You all are right. I was really pushing myself to get super results but it didn't work out too great anyway. I could lose several pounds living like that but it wasn't sustainable - I'd lose my mind/self-control on the weekends.

I've totally upped my carbs this past week or so and the shedding has lessened but it's still a problem. My running is almost effortless now that I am running off carbs again. The rest days makes sense but if I run every other day and lift weights on my off running days - is that ok?

Comment

See? I knew they'd all zoom in and give you the low-down. Great group, huh? I'd have to agree; many of your macros look like mine did (or truthfully, do still on an occasion). It was hard for me to get above 1200 calories w/o concerted effort, in part I think because I felt soooo good IF'g for awhile. I was trail running but not nearly as often as you.

My hair has slowed it's volume of loss and I still work on tweaking the diet. Because I can't afford at this moment to get another blood panel w/ hormones done. So I try different things and try to reduce stress.

Big Hug to you! I think there were many spot-on suggestions here --

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

Not harsh at all... thanks. You all are right. I was really pushing myself to get super results but it didn't work out too great anyway. I could lose several pounds living like that but it wasn't sustainable - I'd lose my mind/self-control on the weekends.

I've totally upped my carbs this past week or so and the shedding has lessened but it's still a problem. My running is almost effortless now that I am running off carbs again. The rest days makes sense but if I run every other day and lift weights on my off running days - is that ok?
                              Seriously have 1 - 2 days at least of doing next to nothing, your body will love you for it. Your cells are waiting for at least a, sleep - rest day - sleep, time frame to build itself better. Your body can "recover" overnight but you won't be getting much adaptation improvements.

The idea is to point stress (intensely focused) your body with high intensity then spend a lot of time resting, rather than mildly stressing your body over long periods of time. Some examples:
                              Eating nothing for a day and then eating normally for a week/fortnight will give better results than a constant 200/500 daily cal deficit. Doing a 25k run once a week is better than doing 5 x 5k runs a week.

Sent from my iPhone
                              Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 09-22-2013, 08:09 PM.
                              A little primal gem - My Success Story
                              Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

Working...
                              X