Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the Metabolically broken???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the Metabolically broken???

Hey guys,

Big favor to ask. HELP!!!! I love this plan but I'm wondering if I need to go back to the old processed Atkins lifestyle???

I have BAD insulin resistance, estrogen dominance symptoms, am in Adrenal fatigue and dealing with infertility. I also need to lose at least 30 pounds that will not drop off and I am STUCK!

In the past I have always been able to lose weight on VLC if I stay at around 20-30 grams of carbs and once I hit ketosis up the fat intake. However how do you make this a lifestyle??

Currently on the weekends I make Paleo apple pie, pancakes fun foods that make this a lifestyle. Does anyone have any websites that have fun foods that would help me stay in ketosis to lose this weight?? I want to enjoy fall and the holidays with my family. I'm not sure how to just eat meat, veggies and fat 24/7???

I have looked up all the Atkins Induction recipes and all have processed gross food in them that now I could not even touch!!! I LOVE Paleo but tonight I am feeling down that two years into this I am still overweight which in itself is holding me back from doing soo many things I want to do!!!

Sorry I needed to vent tonight. I am soo sick of being sick and fat!!!!

I am only 5'0 and currently 145 pounds. I need to get at least 30 pounds off this frame!!!! Would LOVE to go from a size large to a small.

Thanks for all your patience!!!!

at myself

All of Maria's recipes are ultra low-carb: Maria Mind Body Health |

Just keep in mind it's not just carbs to keep in line, you have to mind your calories too. It's easy to overeat keto foods which are mostly fat-based.
    Last edited by j3nn; 09-21-2013, 07:30 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Thanks!!!!!

That's super helpful!!!!

Comment

For those doing VLC how are you dealing with the fall season??? Apple pies, warm carbs even if they are Paleo approved???

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigal View Post
          For those doing VLC how are you dealing with the fall season??? Apple pies, warm carbs even if they are Paleo approved???
          I'm not VLC anymore, but last year I was and I coped with avoiding all of those yummy flavor combinations by indulging in the aromas. I made a cinnamon vanilla brown sugar/almond oil body scrub homemade that was really satisfying to smell for hours after use. I also bought chai tea flavored lip balm, sugar cookie handcream, I infused my house with the scent of vaporized cinnamon sticks and orange peels etc.

And this may not be the answer that you were looking for but it sounds like you are in a pretty bad way. This may not be the year for you to enjoy holiday food treats, Keto, LC, VLC, Atkins or otherwise. You have some serious work to do. You may want to explore new ways to connect and bond over holiday/traditional family and friends times that doesn't involve food. Play games, take photos, make a family tree, record family stories on video, go for walks/hikes, volunteer, visit the elderly, go caroling, dance, play music, play charades etc etc. Ask for your family's and friends support ahead of time. Once you've gotten your metabolism and related conditions in check, then you can start being a bit more lax- treats and holidays aren't going anywhere I promise. It will be hard but if you shift your thinking a bit you can really treat yourself well by taking the utmost care in nourishing yourself properly, mind, body and spirit.

Comment

Thanks I know!!!!!

I need to lose this weight soo bad to get my hormones back in check.

Maybe I do need to hear that

Comment

For every holiday, there is a meat. I just started eating half the ham every time and eventually MIL figured it out and started making 2x the meat. Boom, solved. If you think there will just be cake and ice cream, you could make your own ice cream, or buy really good almost-paleo ice cream to bring. Don't worry about a day of dairy and sugar (unless your body REALLY hates dairy!) because you'll likely just replenish some glycogen with it, and be in keto again by the next morning. I am VLC most days but probably once a week I eat a bunch of fruit or otherwise do a carb-up. If Grok found a fruit tree, I can pretty much promise he'd spend some time there.

Obviously not even a smart Atkins follower would eat those sawdust things. The original Atkins was basically Paleo but they just had the toxins and bad fats still in there, not realizing the impact they had at the time. If you want to go Atkins, find the original book from way back, was it the late 70's? and follow that, just add modern foodie know-how to it to avoid the bad oils ad such. Most of our aches and pains - well, the obesity and such - is just from the bad oils anyway. Even if you drop Primal/Paleo, definitely keep that ONE thing with you. Saturated fats, monounsaturated fats, good. Polyunsaturated = mostly bad, a little omega 3 probably okay.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Summer I eat more fruits and salads which are cooling. Winter I tend to eat more stews, soups, crock pot recipes. If I want a treat I will have Okinawan sweet potatoes with some cream or coconut milk. Lots of tea as well.
                "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

I don't know what you mean by "processed Atkins lifestyle". I lost a lot of weight doing a Paleo/Primal version of Atkins. Yes they sell processed supplements but they aren't required and are even limited to no more than 2 per day. The base of the plan is real whole foods. It's not Paleo but you can easily make it paleo. The biggest problem, IMO, is if you stay in Induction too long and never work to the other phases while figuring out your tolerance to carbs and individual foods. The first 2 weeks is not even close to the whole plan. You might find you can eat a lot more carbs than you thought if they are from real foods rather than low carb junk.

And there are all kinds of warm comforting spicy sweet things you can have during the fall. Zucchini steeped in apple tea and used in recipes is delicious. Slow cooked jicama or chayote squash in spices are as well. Of course if you find you tolerate apples then have an apple or something made with apples. Ultimately it comes down to knowing if a food agrees with you or not. If it doesn't then you replace it with something that does and keep your eyes on the prize!

Comment

Stick to whole foods that are primal approved. It should be that simple. Searching for "paleo desert recipes" will hinder results because they include processed foods, and keep you craving the sweets you should be avoiding. Its about priorities, so eat real whole foods. Stay below 100g carbs as well. Posts like these make me wonder if people are even reading PB. Also i suggest high intensity interval training to boost your metabolic rate.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Hey guys,

Big favor to ask. HELP!!!! I love this plan but I'm wondering if I need to go back to the old processed Atkins lifestyle???

I have BAD insulin resistance, estrogen dominance symptoms, am in Adrenal fatigue and dealing with infertility. I also need to lose at least 30 pounds that will not drop off and I am STUCK!

In the past I have always been able to lose weight on VLC if I stay at around 20-30 grams of carbs and once I hit ketosis up the fat intake. However how do you make this a lifestyle??

Currently on the weekends I make Paleo apple pie, pancakes fun foods that make this a lifestyle. Does anyone have any websites that have fun foods that would help me stay in ketosis to lose this weight?? I want to enjoy fall and the holidays with my family. I'm not sure how to just eat meat, veggies and fat 24/7???

I have looked up all the Atkins Induction recipes and all have processed gross food in them that now I could not even touch!!! I LOVE Paleo but tonight I am feeling down that two years into this I am still overweight which in itself is holding me back from doing soo many things I want to do!!!

Sorry I needed to vent tonight. I am soo sick of being sick and fat!!!!

I am only 5'0 and currently 145 pounds. I need to get at least 30 pounds off this frame!!!! Would LOVE to go from a size large to a small.

Thanks for all your patience!!!!

at myself

Hi Kiwigal, don't be mad at yourself, that's the first and most important suggestion!
                      Second, maybe you are eating too much meat, remember too much protein also gets converted to glucose. Try to aim for 0.6 x lean body weight (marks figures) so for you that's (I'm wildly assuming you are around 30% body fat) 145 x 30% = 101.5lbs lbm, now 101.5lbs x 0.6 = 60.9g of protein requirement per day.

That's about two medium sized chicken breasts, or 10 large eggs per day.
                      Have some salad (use liberal olive oil on your salad) with your protein. Cook your protein in butter, and try to cut out the fruits as they can slow down your weight loss effort. Good luck! :-)
                      Last edited by monkspeed; 09-22-2013, 01:40 AM.
                      My PB Journal

Comment

I am super glucose-intolerant, so a keto diet is my way of life.

I make sure to eat mostly fat, keep my protein around 60 gm/day and limit carbs to about 30 gm/day.

I eat eggs, lovely European cheeses, bacon, all sorts of pastured meat, wild salmon, liver and liver pâté, bone broth, occasional nuts, minimal veggies (FODMAPS-intolerant), seaweed salad, olives, pickles, heavy cream in my tea, and chocolate butter.

Apples are just bags of sugar! I eat a few berries, but keep fruit to a minimum. Not tempted by carbs much these days...
                        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Squash and sweet potatoes are good warm fall foods. Herbs and spices are your friend. Learn to cook. It is empowering and really does taste better.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Thanks guys for all of your help!!!!

Comment

What I mostly hear you talking about is not wanting to give up these "comfort" foods. I think doing a lot of work around mindset, rather than looking for approved substitutions, would be a better bet for you long term.
                              Rebooted Body -- Ancestral Health + Modern Psychology | The Rebooted Body Podcast

Comment

Working...
                              X