Sweet potato v Normal potato (White)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steven.kelly View Post
    I've had white potatoes the last 2 days and my nose ran a bit and I generally didnt feel great after eating them. Does that mean I should rule out all potatoes?
    Were they peeled? If not, try some without their skins and see if you get the same response.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Key differences is the Vitamin A and C balance

Vitamin A
      Sweet potato: 283% RDA
      Potato: 0% RDA

Vitamin C
      Sweet potato: 4% RDA
      Potato: 32% RDA

But overeall they are balanced. Just pick em based on how tasty you find them. I find sweet potatos have a much richer flavour, so they are tastier but harder to eat in bulk. The reverse with potatos.
      http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
        Were they peeled? If not, try some without their skins and see if you get the same response.
        They weren't peeled, what makes a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by steven.kelly View Post
          They weren't peeled, what makes a difference?
          Potatoes store their nasties in their skin.

Comment

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
            Key differences is the Vitamin A and C balance

Vitamin A
            Sweet potato: 283% RDA
            Potato: 0% RDA

Vitamin C
            Sweet potato: 4% RDA
            Potato: 32% RDA

But overeall they are balanced. Just pick em based on how tasty you find them. I find sweet potatos have a much richer flavour, so they are tastier but harder to eat in bulk. The reverse with potatos.
            The Vitamin A is beta carotene, so it's largely not used by the body, anyway. If it were retinol it would be a different story, and possibly approaching toxicity levels! And again, if you aren't buying the orange sweet potatoes, then that spike goes away. The "orange" is your beta carotene.

One thing that isn't mentioned is that white potatoes contain complete protein, which sweet potatoes do not. While it is true potatoes are not exactly protein powerhouses, a person could survive solely on white potatoes longer than they could sweet potatoes.
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
              Potatoes store their nasties in their skin.
              Stephan Guyenet does a fantastic breakdown of the glycoalkaloid of potatoes. The fact is the content varies wildly in species of potatoes, and the species found in American supermarkets are generally low.

Whole Health Source: Potatoes and Human Health, Part II

I recommend reading the multi-part series.

Russet potatoes are typically the most consumed. If you were to sit there and eat nothing but potato skins of russet potatoes that are sprouting eyes from sitting in your pantry for weeks, it could be a real problem, but in the context of eating the whole potato - especially a fresh one without any eyes and sprouts - the content is very low. The content of the flesh is basically zero, so a peeled russet potato should be completely "safe."

Of course, let's put "safe" in context. Every plant contains some level of anti-nutrients. The Primal Blueprint advocates for dark, leafy greens and berries. They're the highest in anti-nutrients in both the vegetable and fruit category! White potatoes on a calorie-per-calorie basis are lower in anti-nutrients than kale or spinach.
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Sweet potatoes also much better the next day or even out of the fridge and better to transport I find than white potato

From London England UK

Comment

Chapter 8 in Loren Cordain's "Paleo Answer" is titled "Potatoes Should Stay below Ground".

Although he does not seem to imply an occasional potato will pose any problem, his main concerns seem to be the higher glycemic load versus sweet potatoes or yams, and that a lifetime of regularly eating potatoes could increase low level inflammation due to leaky gut caused by the glycoalkaloids. I'm no expert on this stuff but I remembered that chapter from his book.

I personally favor sweet potatoes because I prefer the taste. Just yesterday I found white sweet potatoes at the farmers market and they are pretty awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by youtacolot View Post
                    Chapter 8 in Loren Cordain's "Paleo Answer" is titled "Potatoes Should Stay below Ground".

Although he does not seem to imply an occasional potato will pose any problem, his main concerns seem to be the higher glycemic load versus sweet potatoes or yams, and that a lifetime of regularly eating potatoes could increase low level inflammation due to leaky gut caused by the glycoalkaloids. I'm no expert on this stuff but I remembered that chapter from his book.

I personally favor sweet potatoes because I prefer the taste. Just yesterday I found white sweet potatoes at the farmers market and they are pretty awesome.
                    That book should stay below ground where no one can find it. He also was anti-saturated fat. More fantasy.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes have the same glycemic load. I'm assuming you're referring to glycemic index, which has nothing to do with...anything. Furthermore, cold white potatoes have a smaller glycemic index and glycemic load than sweet potatoes because the resistant starch content increases an order of magnitude and passes through the intestines undigested and is later fermented into butyrate - a fatty acid - in the colon. Cold potatoes are actually a fat source...huh?

Generally I see white potatoes as superior to sweet potatoes for health, but it's so close just eat what you like better. If you like both, eat them both.

Comment

Working...
                    X