X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paging Mr. Gorbag - Pop News Article on Diet Soda

No, seriously: Diet sodas are terrible for you, too - TODAY.com
    The Champagne of Beards

Funny, I just saw this quote (listed right after the one about how you should NEVER skip meals) on Active:
    A University of Texas Health Science Center study found the more diet sodas a person drank, the greater their risk for becoming overweight. Drinking just two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500 percent. Why?
    I don't think diet soda is healthy but man that stat sounds wrong.

Comment

From what I've read, the caffeine increases cortisol, not to mention the tricks that artificial sweeteners play on your brain. Tim Ferriss advocates no more than 400ml a day if you're trying to lose weight.
      Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

Only you Richmahogany could find such a nonsensical article so quickly after it is published among all the other internet-crap out there...
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

By 500%?? So, if a normal healthy woman with a waistline of 25" suddenly started drinking diet soda, she would end up with a waistline of 150"? LMAO. I've seen some fat people, but not many have waistlines of 150", and boatloads of people drink diet soda.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip @ MIPWID View Post
            Tim Ferriss advocates no more than 400ml a day if you're trying to lose weight.
            Lol, I wouldn't put too much stock into what Ferriss says about nutrition.
            My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

I'm loathe to defend anything Coca-cola makes but the researchers' conjecture feels weak here. They aren't really proposing a mechanism.
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                By 500%?? So, if a normal healthy woman with a waistline of 25" suddenly started drinking diet soda, she would end up with a waistline of 150"? LMAO. I've seen some fat people, but not many have waistlines of 150", and boatloads of people drink diet soda.
                ...Was your post satire?
                Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                  Only you Richmahogany could find such a nonsensical article so quickly after it is published among all the other internet-crap out there...
                  Hey, I never said it was a good or convincing article. Just thought you'd like to see it.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                    ...Was your post satire?
                    No, did I do the math wrong? 5x25 = 125 added to 25 because it said increased "by" not "to" = 150". I don't think diet soda is something to drink on a regular basis, but I don't think it makes people twice as wide as they are tall. I know, that wouldn't be technically true because a circumference of 150" isn't the same as being 150" wide. I think I'd need some pi formula for that.

Ack, geometry was too long ago. Google: diameter = circumference/3.14 (pi rounded), so we'd be talking about someone who was ~ 48" wide in the above example. If the woman is 5'7" tall, she 67" tall. Diet soda puts her at 48" wide. That shit's toxic. (Now I'm just being silly, but still 500% seems excessive.)
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                      No, did I do the math wrong? 5x25 = 125 added to 25 because it said increased "by" not "to" = 150". I don't think diet soda is something to drink on a regular basis, but I don't think it makes people twice as wide as they are tall. I know, that wouldn't be technically true because a circumference of 150" isn't the same as being 150" wide. I think I'd need some pi formula for that.

Ack, geometry was too long ago. Google: diameter = circumference/3.14 (pi rounded), so we'd be talking about someone who was ~ 48" wide in the above example. If the woman is 5'7" tall, she 67" tall. Diet soda puts her at 48" wide. That shit's toxic. (Now I'm just being silly, but still 500% seems excessive.)
                      Yeah, but, also, to clarify, from their cited sources it's growth, not circumference as well.

If a non-diet coke drinker gained 1 inch in their waist, the diet coke drinker would have gained 5, as an example.
                      Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                        I'm loathe to defend anything Coca-cola makes but the researchers' conjecture feels weak here. They aren't really proposing a mechanism.
                        Agreed......they don't really site any hard evidence, just theorizing about the role of GLP-1, and that 'artificial sweeteners fail to produce the responses your body expects to produce when you taste sweet things.' Oh really? What the hell does that mean? The response I expect is good taste, and that's pretty much it.......although I am trying to eliminate my 1 can a day habit of diet soda.....
                        The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
                        SW - 192
                        CW - 180
                        GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Comment

I recently read an article-study by Chris Wheeler called “Dying For A Diet Coke?” about Aspartame (E951),which is essentially a poison to our bodies. It is a really interesting read. If anyone’s interested, here is the link to this article. The article is rather long but REALLY interesting.
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread94235.html
                          Starting weight (1.Sep 2013): 88.1 kg
                          Current weight: 84.6 kg
                          Goal weight: 66 kg
                          Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep loosing it

Comment

Sorry Derp. I was only responding to this:

I didn't click on the original link because I figured this was just a fun thread for Rich and Gorbag.

B*tch-lite

Comment

No worries, it still seems rather unlikely and with too many variables. Probably the biggest cause of it is mental, with people assuming that because they're getting a 0 calorie drink, they're allowed to pack away a lot more food. I saw it a lot before in fast food places, they'd usually go for dessert, because they "earned it" by drinking a diet coke instead of a regular.
                              Make America Great Again

Comment

Working...
                              X